The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Is there any one here who stopped collecting & is content?

I’d like to think I have some nice and desirable pieces but I’m constantly, CONSTANTLY thinking about the next watch and imagining which outfits and shoes will go best with this watch that I don’t even have yet. Just wondering if any of you fellas have reached a point where you’re at peace with the watches you own and have no desire for another Rolex? I’m far from that place.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:58 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've slowed down a lot and frankly, I'm no slave to fashion.

It takes me less than five seconds to choose a watch and I don't give a thought to what I'm wearing, because I always wear a pair of jeans, a black t-shirt, and a pair of deck shoes. Sometimes I'll have a different colored hoodie over the t-shirt in cold weather.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Greglaw
Banned

Nothing wrong with your approach...I think about it all the time!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 02:05 PM   #4
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I've definately slowed down as I have honed my tastes and with experience comes better decisions. However its very hard to STOP haha partiuclarly Rolex is like Pokemon, gotta catchemall! lol
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 02:17 PM   #5
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
As far as new Rolexes are concerned, yeah. There is only one I want and I'm blessed to have it on my wrist as I type this.

The vintage world, though? I don't think I could run out of desired targets.
Old 3 July 2020, 02:37 PM   #6
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Honestly I think I’m there, nothing on the horizon unless maybe a DD for my 40th in 2yrs but the constant searching and shuffling is definitely over with

Enjoying what I have

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:02 PM   #7
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Is there any one here who stopped collecting & is content?

After I received my YG DD40, Blue SkyD and BLRO all in one month this May/June I’ve started to slow down and feel quite saturated when it comes to diverse options to wear.

I still have a few targets but in no hurry to get them:

- YG SkyD
- SS Coke 2007
- DD40 Platinum Ice dial
- WG GMT II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:14 PM   #8
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I do not think I have stopped collecting, but I have slowed down the process. I am trying to establish a great five watch collection but as many of us experience, tastes changes and a perfect watch may not be so perfect the more you look around.
I am still keeping my eyes out for what could be the next watch, and what would complement a collection but there is really no active searching now.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:23 PM   #9
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Unless I get the call for the new Pepsi or black 116500 I’m done. Content with the state of the collection.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:27 PM   #10
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I never started. I've accumulated a couple Omega Seamasters over the decades but I'm no collector. Currently I have one Rolex GMT Master and one Omega Speedmaster. My Seamasters are in their boxes on a shelf in my closet.
Old 3 July 2020, 03:47 PM   #11
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I haven’t purchased a new watch in 3-years, got pretty turned off with the scene once the hype spike happened in 2016. Luckily, I’m very happy with my collection and no desire to purchase at the moment. Good luck with the chase!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:04 PM   #12
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

I don’t collect I buy watches i like.

I have a few imaginary lists “must have” “nice to have” “nice to have but too expensive” and those lists aren’t getting that much longer each year so there is a good chance to at least close the first one in the next 5-10 years.

Regarding Rolex the recent years put most of the Rolex I still want at the very back of the lists. I just have to think about my first Rolex, I walked into Wempe as a first time customer and walked out with a Submariner with 10% discount.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:16 PM   #13
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I’ve stopped with Rolex, I have a few and there were watches I would have liked but the way the brand availability has become has soured my experience.

I don’t even register a new Rolex or Tudor model now as I’m neither willing or able to play their games.

I’ve just bought a Sinn and a Doxa, both great watches, no games and very different to Rolex. I’m pretty satisfied now.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:46 PM   #14
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I’d like to think I have some nice and desirable pieces but I’m constantly, CONSTANTLY thinking about the next watch and imagining which outfits and shoes will go best with this watch that I don’t even have yet. Just wondering if any of you fellas have reached a point where you’re at peace with the watches you own and have no desire for another Rolex? I’m far from that place.
Yes, I stopped. I have had watches from most of the well known makers, including Patek. I decided, after many years, to slim down to 3 watches and a couple of 'holiday' cheaper watches. I have a Breguet, Sky Dweller and a Planet Ocean GMT. Very happy with that spread. I did the same with my car collection too - 3 Astons, a Murcielago, Ford GT, Bentley etc... down to two cars.

But, I will continue to look at both cars and watches - but don't want to build any more collections. :)
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:04 PM   #15
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
Yep...............Totally content and glad that I have rid myself from an addiction that is fueled by hype and forums. I now invest the money into property and lifestyle. Couldn't be happier. That is my life choice off course and there will be others who gain that same level of satisfaction through watches.
Old 3 July 2020, 07:06 PM   #16
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I admire "one-watch" guys but fail miserably. I've got thru Harley phase, knife phase, pen phase, gun phase and now obsess over Rolex. I've purchased 3 in the past 3 years and turned down a TT Rootbeer last week as I wait for my "grail" watch, a Pepsi GMT, so I feel, perhaps, my Rolex obsession has subsided a little. But in reality I'm on my favorite website "Jake's Rolex World" a few times daily along with this outstanding Rolex Watch Forum. My tastes have refined and I'm mainly a fan of SS Rolex: GMTs and Submariners. But my recently purchased DSDB is such a beauty! Unexplicably I've started looking hard at DateJusts when I had no prior interest. The journey continues.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:12 PM   #17
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I’ve stopped with Rolex, I have a few and there were watches I would have liked but the way the brand availability has become has soured my experience.

I don’t even register a new Rolex or Tudor model now as I’m neither willing or able to play their games.

I’ve just bought a Sinn and a Doxa, both great watches, no games and very different to Rolex. I’m pretty satisfied now.

Feel pretty the same to be honest, bought a month ago a PAM which gets the most wrist time. I am also not attracted to the new noisy movements.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:21 PM   #18
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
Think it comes in phases. I go through watch jumble up, then settle and do a car jumble up then settle and go to jackets and trainers. Then the cycle starts again.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:40 PM   #19
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Always content with everything but now taking that merry path on the minimalism route with possessions as it helps with focussing on priorities. There is a correlation with aging and the facts of life come into view.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:44 PM   #20
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Just slowed down a lot and I'm very selective now.

I viewed the new Tudor Black Bay 58, Blue and didn't pick it up.

A few reasons. I have the 58 black already plus a few other blue watches. its stunning and incredibly priced and I may pick it up in the future but it was one of the watches, a long with watches like the new seamaster and new Pepsi GMT I won't be adding at the moment. I have some nice dive watches and older GMT's

it's about adding stuff that really matters now.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:35 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've been here for ten years and being enabled half to death but in the last year or so I have settled down on my core collection of five which I don't see changing, I will add a new watch here and there to spice things up but the core remains the same now, it does take some experimenting time but it should eventually come.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:40 PM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For me the collection game became more work than fun. I traded in 18 watches on two (one for me and one for my wife) leaving me with three Rolexes. I've traded away two of those and maintain the Rolex head count at three. I know longer consider myself a collector but a watch wearer. That's more than adequate for my needs. I'm working towards a steady state collection. I've added one other brand which has tritium markers as a less expensive and night time functional brand as well so my total group of watches is five with one more due in. Hopefully that will be it. I'll be in the collected stage as opposed to collecting.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:45 PM   #23
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'm done with my 16610. Maybe a Speedmaster again in the next few years, but no pressure, if I don't buy it it's fine. I'd rather gather memories with my Sub than accumulate any more watches.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:06 PM   #24
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
Not quite. On the "list" for the TT CHNR.

Once I have received this hopefully will be content for a year or two
Old 3 July 2020, 09:23 PM   #25
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I think I will be interesting in trying and buying new watches until the day I die. Sometimes I take a little break when life gets busy.
Old 3 July 2020, 09:38 PM   #26
learningtofly

Watch: Hmmm...
I kind of feel like I've effectively stopped, albeit that I'll make an odd exception for genuine opportunities.

I have this lot to keep me happy, although I anticipate that the numbers will reduce over the next 12-18 months. It feels good to step off the merry-go-round, particularly in the light of absurd responses to demand by the likes of Rolex, and the even more absurd games played by many ADs.
Old 3 July 2020, 09:40 PM   #27
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think this pandemic and remote working has definitely given me an idea to stop on my 2 hobbies - Watches and shoes. There's no place to go out and I have LOT of watches and shoes and I have no way to enjoy what I already own. I think its time to slow down these hobbies till pandemic is over and regular life is back!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:47 PM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Buying a new Rolex is not fun anymore and has chased the casual hobby owner to other brands or stop completely.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:50 PM   #29
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I'm exactly the same, and constantly looking at what would work well in my collection. Having picked up 3 Rolex and 1 Tudor in the last 12 months I intend on having a little hiatus and enjoying what I own. The last Rolex I acquired was the 116610LN just under a fortnight ago. I had been planning to pick this up in 2021, but an opportunity presented itself and I decided to get it now whilst it was on offer rather than potentially have to wait in the future, as they're pretty difficult to get hold of in the UK...

I'd like to eventually add another two Rolex watches to my collection which offer a little variety to the Exp & Sub which I have. I've been thinking something with a jubilee bracelet and something with a white dial (after selling my OP39 to a friend). This will either be a DJ & Polar Exp2 or a Pepsi & Daytona. A large part of that decision will be down to availability or lack thereof so will speak with my AD when I'm ready for the next.

In the meantime I'm going to pick up a few nice straps, maybe a new watch box/roll and possibly a couple of decent books. Hopefully that will scratch the itch a little...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:52 PM   #30
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Well, these days I only have one mechanical watch, always a Rolex. But perhaps I cheat a bit because I tend to change the model; so far a white gold Daytona, then a white gold Daydate 40, now a white gold Yachtmaster 42. But, technically, I’m a one watch guy.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collecting , minimising