The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Pam00999

so far, I have not acquired any Panerai. Tried few models but none did it for me. Either too big or too expensive or not practical. However, I am big fan of the famous crown guard design and I love the submersibles in bronze.

Recently been in touch with a boutique in the region for the new bronzo but hopes are very low. So they offered me this one, the pam00999. Seems to be a brand new model and I quite like it. It ticks all the boxes except that it is a radiomir which means it misses the most feature I like in a Panerai, the crown guard. Else it is olive green which I loved from the PAM 911, it has the sandwich dial, GMT function, micro rotor movement and domed crystal. Not flexible with discounts. What do you guys think about it? Value retention of Panerai is very low which is a concern for me because I don't want to get stuck with it if I don't like it.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 10:37 PM   #2
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Wow. That piece is stunning. Never seen it before
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 10:57 PM   #3
nick c
Banned

Everything looks great, but I’m not a big fan of the power reserve on the dial. But if you love it go for it. Cheers
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 11:09 PM   #4
scottru72
"TRF" Member

I love the look! I can’t find anything online for a PAM00999?
scottru72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 11:18 PM   #5
erik asher
"TRF" Member

It’s a beautiful PAM...not surprised they aren’t discounting it. Given you have no customer history with Panerai, you are lucky to be offered this PAM at all.

I personally don’t like 1940 cases, but that’s just me.

From a value proposition, this should hold value if it is a LE of only 1000 units. If it’s an annual production, value will drop in short term by 20%.

If LE, since it has the now popular green dial, gold hands and domed sapphire, I think you can expect prices to be in a 10% range from 10% premium to 10% discount off of retail. So very low risk from a value retention perspective. As time goes on, if a LE, there would be a smaller discount to premium.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 11:29 PM   #6
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Looks rather special. How much is it?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
This looks quite nice!
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 12:50 AM   #8
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
It’s a beautiful PAM...not surprised they aren’t discounting it. Given you have no customer history with Panerai, you are lucky to be offered this PAM at all.

I personally don’t like 1940 cases, but that’s just me.

From a value proposition, this should hold value if it is a LE of only 1000 units. If it’s an annual production, value will drop in short term by 20%.

If LE, since it has the now popular green dial, gold hands and domed sapphire, I think you can expect prices to be in a 10% range from 10% premium to 10% discount off of retail. So very low risk from a value retention perspective. As time goes on, if a LE, there would be a smaller discount to premium.

Thank you. I was told it is limited production to 1000 annually but not LE.

One more question as my eyes are not trained, is the case back screwed or slapped? It looks screwed to me given the hexagonal shape. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 3 June 2019, 12:50 AM   #9
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw1 View Post
looks rather special. How much is it?

Sent from my moto g (5) using tapatalk

12,500 usd
Old 3 June 2019, 01:18 AM   #10
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
12,500 usd
Compared to previous green dials with decent range of complications that's not bad at all. Has a lot going for it. Personally, I'm not a fan of all polished case or the power reserve execution on this.

Its a bold watch and 'practical' + and not USD20K. As it's only limited production there's no real rush, 1,000 per annum for PAM is not going short.

Old 3 June 2019, 02:46 AM   #11
ajsqm2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 335
Wow that is absolutely stunning.
ajsqm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I think this is a great model. I know the crown guard is holding you up. There certainly isn't anything "traditional" about this model, yet at the same time it has so much Panerai DNA with the domed crystal, sandwich dial, gold hands (which look great with the green dial). I have been very critical of what Panerai has done with the Submersible line recently, among others, but I think this is a great release.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 08:41 AM   #13
synequano
Banned

Personally it’s not my taste (not a big fan of any green or newer blue dial pams) but if you like it,just go for it

Personally I’d wait for something that ticks all boxes before spending my hard earned $$$ on any watch
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 02:52 PM   #14
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thanks for the photos! Panerai now seems to be releasing models without any fanfare at all.

The green dial, good hands and dome is quite a fetching combo.

However, I would say “pass” for you because it seems like you are trying to talk yourself into the watch. IMHO, spending 12.5k should be spent only for watches that tick all of your boxes. Why compromise?

Also, no discount for a regular production Panerai other than a Bronzo or special LE like a 1080 is unheard of. You’d be taking on a lot of depreciation risk, which is fine for a keeper, and less fine for a watch that you are not sure you’ll like long-term.

There are so many models..... spend some more time and get the one you really truly want.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 07:34 AM   #15
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Thanks for the photos! Panerai now seems to be releasing models without any fanfare at all.

The green dial, good hands and dome is quite a fetching combo.

However, I would say “pass” for you because it seems like you are trying to talk yourself into the watch. IMHO, spending 12.5k should be spent only for watches that tick all of your boxes. Why compromise?

Also, no discount for a regular production Panerai other than a Bronzo or special LE like a 1080 is unheard of. You’d be taking on a lot of depreciation risk, which is fine for a keeper, and less fine for a watch that you are not sure you’ll like long-term.

There are so many models..... spend some more time and get the one you really truly want.

I find it hard to imagine that Panerai is putting gold hands and a domed sapphire on an annual production piece. If they do so, it would be disturbing to me as Panerai just announced last year that the domed sapphire is now for limited edition pieces only.

If it’s an annual production, I would hold off for a better price and try to secure a 10-15% discount.

If it’s a LE/SE, or boutique only piece, $12.5k isn’t bad.
Old 4 June 2019, 07:43 AM   #16
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I find it hard to imagine that Panerai is putting gold hands and a domed sapphire on an annual production piece. If they do so, it would be disturbing to me as Panerai just announced last year that the domed sapphire is now for limited edition pieces only.

Roughly quoting Panerai: “there will be only one bronze Panerai”.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If it’s an annual production, I would hold off for a better price and try to secure a 10-15% discount.

If it’s a LE/SE, or boutique only piece, $12.5k isn’t bad.

I am not sure about the production of the watch. The sales lady told me that it is "limited" production to 1000 pieces only. But when I asked her how many years, she said "not sure, but green dials are not in production for long". So we have to wait until the watch is officially released and see what will Panerai announce about it
Old 4 June 2019, 11:47 PM   #18
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am not sure about the production of the watch. The sales lady told me that it is "limited" production to 1000 pieces only. But when I asked her how many years, she said "not sure, but green dials are not in production for long". So we have to wait until the watch is officially released and see what will Panerai announce about it
Well that's just it right. Panerai is very unreliable when it comes to these sorts of things. The green dial was originally "very exclusive" and now we are seeing it everywhere. There was a Radiomir 1940 wit the green dial released as one of three special releases last year. It was basically a 514 with a domed crystal, gold hands, and green dial. Panerai did the same thing with the 690. An awesome blue dial Radiomir 1940. A year later, they released a watch that was almost identical.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 02:39 AM   #19
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Pam00999

Latest update I have, I am negotiating with them a condition of buying this pam00999 is accept deposit for bronzo 968. They almost accepted, but not willing to negotiate any discount on pam00999 at all. Also they want me pay bronzo in full now and delivery next year Q2-3.

Feels a bit harsh for Panerai, what do you guys think? Such practices I am used to with rolex but Panerai!!!!
Old 5 June 2019, 03:32 AM   #20
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Such practices I am used to with rolex but Panerai!!!!
I'm a hard pass - maybe when Panerai was hotter a few years ago this would work, but everyone knows what they are up to now.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 04:03 AM   #21
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Feels a bit harsh for Panerai, what do you guys think? Such practices I am used to with rolex but Panerai!!!!
Do you trust them to not release a Bronzo base next year and completely kill Bronzo residuals?

If you were already unsure about the watch from the start, then the promise of a watch that Richemont may or may not (history is in the side of "may") undercut with a future release wouldn't help. I would suggest walking away.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 04:35 AM   #22
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Latest update I have, I am negotiating with them a condition of buying this pam00999 is accept deposit for bronzo 968. They almost accepted, but not willing to negotiate any discount on pam00999 at all. Also they want me pay bronzo in full now and delivery next year Q2-3.

The bronzo is now a standard production model, at a pretty racy list price in its own right. In a few years time there will be more 968s out there than the 389 - and titanium is arguably more exotic than bronze - and lot more practical.

However, if you are OK with the prices of each of these (hard to get and limited production models) then they are both rather nice and distinctive watches. However, I would not be prepared to pay the full price of the 968 at this stage - unless they could commit to getting you one in the next 6 months. I would say it would be reasonable to pay a 20% deposit - and do this on a credit card for consumer protection.

Exciting, but tread carefully for your preferences/circumstances.
Old 5 June 2019, 04:45 AM   #23
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice guys, as I am getting closer to sealing deal, I feel a bit scared. If it was rolex then no brainer but with Panerai I feel a bit of hesitation.

I like both watches and the bronzo specially is very attractive to me. The 999 looks very nice as well and I was lusting after 911 last year but couldn't secure one, so I am afraid of losing the opportunity.

I am dealing with a Panerai boutique not AD, that is why they are not very flexible but I think they are not gonna lie. I can't do credit card payment as I am in different country from the boutique so I have to wire the money. I asked to pay partial deposit for the 968 let's see.
Old 5 June 2019, 04:51 AM   #24
ASW1
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, I think that the 999 is a different league to the 911. I had a 911 and was pretty underwhelmed. That 999 is a statement watch and if you get it I anticipate you'll spend may hours just admiring it.

Old 7 June 2019, 03:26 AM   #25
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
That is a good looking PAM
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 06:26 AM   #26
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
The bronzo is now a standard production model, at a pretty racy list price in its own right. In a few years time there will be more 968s out there than the 389 - and titanium is arguably more exotic than bronze - and lot more practical.

However, if you are OK with the prices of each of these (hard to get and limited production models) then they are both rather nice and distinctive watches. However, I would not be prepared to pay the full price of the 968 at this stage - unless they could commit to getting you one in the next 6 months. I would say it would be reasonable to pay a 20% deposit - and do this on a credit card for consumer protection.

Exciting, but tread carefully for your preferences/circumstances.
This analysis is spot on
Old 10 June 2019, 06:27 AM   #27
Christophe_CM2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Nice one
Christophe_CM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 06:55 AM   #28
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
That is a seriously good looking watch imo. I usually prefer the simpler dial executions but in this instance I think that is just a stunner.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 09:07 AM   #29
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Pulled the trigger...love it. In real life looks even better than photos. Thanks for all the enablement and advise

More photos to follow.

The boutique treated me very well and accepted the deposit for the bronzo as well.

Really happy.
Old 21 June 2019, 09:13 AM   #30
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. Looks super.