The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2020, 10:38 AM   #31
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I have a black AP 15400st black dial and the Daytona ceramic 116500 white dial and I was lucky to get both at retail and here are some of of my experiences with both.

The AP finish and dial are way above that of the Daytona. The RO is much more highly finished and is made in much lower numbers. But I’ve had to send mine twice in for service for the movement gaining time and a date change problem. Now, APNA was extremely helpful and fixed it both times under warranty and paid shipping both ways so all I lost was the time with the watch. AP will also sell you numerous straps to change it up. I have a dark gray alligator and black rubber strap. When I first bought it, I needed a 1.5 link for a perfect fit and that was an annoying additional cost of $301.

I wear the APRO carefully, much more so than any watch. If I need to do dishes, laundry, or walk the dogs, I’m wearing a Rolex. But for nights out to dinner (past tense) and wearing dress shirts it’s a great companion. It just shines in so many ways with the dial, bezel, and bracelet like no other.

For the Daytona, it is much more wearable and durable. I’m unafraid to do anything with it on. It’s not quite a beater since I don’t work that hard.
It is a cool looking watch for sure and is at crazy hype levels. Is it worth double retail? I guess you’ll only know when you sell it.

I’ve tried the 15450 and immediately handed it back. My wrist is 7.375 inches and it looked too small and I don’t like the spacing of the plots.
Now, if you try one on, can get it at retail, and like the looks, grab it.
It will always give you a little happy feeling when you look at it.

Now a few suggestions. Consider a 116520 while you can still get for a reasonable price. They are great timeless watches that are both beautiful and durable. I also have a white 116520 and think it looks better than the white 116500. The 116520 appears a little smaller but the are the same size and comfortable. The easy link is the greatest. No 1.5 links needed.

Also look at the 15300 if you can find one. It might fit you better and be the Goldilocks between 15400 and 15450 if you are set on an APRO.

But if this going to be a one and only watch, I’d go with a Daytona.
It’s just more of an go all day anywhere watch.
Chute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 11:42 AM   #32
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Solid summary.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 04:43 PM   #33
Barry C
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Offshore Safari
Not sure some of you guys are correct about the Daytona movement being “better” than a RO. My Daytona is certainly less accurate than my AP, maybe 2 seconds a day. However, the Daytona is mass produced, and has an inferior movement than the original which had a Zenith movement. Now, the concluding factor here is the quality of finish of the movement. AP all the way. So, to get back on track, for a 7” wrist, Nothing wrong with a 41, but if you don’t like larger watches, definitely go for a 39, certainly not 37. One final point: Daytona’s are now a bit passé, which is why I’m selling mine for another AP. Does that tell you all you need to know!!
Barry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 05:16 PM   #34
Will_L
"TRF" Member

RO would be my choice, the watch is more diverse. I tried the Daytona on, like five times now, trying to convince myself to buy one.. I never pulled the trigger

RO
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 06:46 PM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Interesting to hear people say a steel AP is worth 2.3x a steel Daytona.

The AP is steel. Steel. It’s 26.4k GBP for a steel chronograph watch.

The movement is not better. The design is different and AP sent their guys to a better finishing school.

It is not nautilus rare, but the vast majority would still pick it when they could get 2 Daytona’s and an Oyster perpetual for the gardening and car washing duties for the same price.

That’s a hell of a levy to put on a nicely finished watch.

I wonder how many people who own these and had to live with an AP for any great length of time would answeR this.

This whole other level is very surface level polish.

I’m not bashing AP, I do think they make some incredible pieces, but I’m just surprised at the leeway people give the steel versions when it comes to value. Especially when measured against patek, ALS, FPJourne, Vacheron etc.

Ps the steel daytona is not worth more than it’s rrp

On the question of metal value, is a gold or platinum Daytona worth the premium over the steel counterpart ?

You end up paying far more than the difference in metal cost.

Once one removes precious metals from the equation, then the difference is clear and it goes far beyond a nicer polish.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 07:24 PM   #36
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Both. If you can.

It’s not an either situation to be very honest... regardless of some of opinion and putting down on this post of one or the other.

The Daytona for a daily and carefree wear. And if you’re paying retail or a tad more than retail. Not at 2x. It’s a solid movement, and one of the best made by Rolex. The white dial has been hyped too much, so much that post purchase dissonance isn’t uncommon and which is why paying 2x retail doesn’t make sense. It is a very comfortable watch to wear.

The RO for more occasional wear. You can daily it, but it will show and not many can take the sight of a banged up RO. Not even the ones that profess they like how it shows “character”. The RO bracelet is a thing of beauty and having it on your wrist is pure joy. 41 on a 7” wrist should be perfect IMO.

I’ve never understood the “next level” BS to be honest when comparing 2 very different watches. Personally I filter out such comments instantly.

I would strongly suggest trying before buying. Only you can see for yourself which appeals more to you. Photos are a very poor alternative to actually trying them on your wrist.

You have 2 excellent choices in front of you.

I would also suggest seeking input from members who have or had both watches so you can more objective inputs. You’ll find many members here who are fortunate to own both watches.

Old 20 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #37
johnlcp
"TRF" Member

I have a similar question same with OP. What if we are comparing the Daytona PM Oysterlex with steel ROC 41mm/38mm? The MSRP is similar (in Hong Kong). The AP finishing must be much better, but the rolex Daytona pm oysterflex should be more durable and reliable for daily wear.
johnlcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:33 AM   #38
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlcp View Post
I have a similar question same with OP. What if we are comparing the Daytona PM Oysterlex with steel ROC 41mm/38mm? The MSRP is similar (in Hong Kong). The AP finishing must be much better, but the rolex Daytona pm oysterflex should be more durable and reliable for daily wear.
you can always buy a rubber strap for the AP and very easily swap it with the bracelet whenever you want
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 08:11 PM   #39
Tanvo
"TRF" Member

Both
Tanvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 02:41 AM   #40
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Interesting to hear people say a steel AP is worth 2.3x a steel Daytona.

The AP is steel. Steel. It’s 26.4k GBP for a steel chronograph watch.

The movement is not better. The design is different and AP sent their guys to a better finishing school.

It is not nautilus rare, but the vast majority would still pick it when they could get 2 Daytona’s and an Oyster perpetual for the gardening and car washing duties for the same price.

That’s a hell of a levy to put on a nicely finished watch.

I wonder how many people who own these and had to live with an AP for any great length of time would answeR this.

This whole other level is very surface level polish.

I’m not bashing AP, I do think they make some incredible pieces, but I’m just surprised at the leeway people give the steel versions when it comes to value. Especially when measured against patek, ALS, FPJourne, Vacheron etc.

Ps the steel daytona is not worth more than it’s rrp
The Rolex is a Mercedes and the AP is a Bentley? You want to pay the same price for the Mercedes as a Bentley because of fad hype and you’re questioning how finishing puts the Bentley in a different league than a Mercedes? Try them both on and you decide. I did and was shocked how underwhelmed I was with the white ceramic Daytona for $28,000.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 07:05 PM   #41
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
These comparisons aren’t realistic as you are talking two completely different price points RRP wise - a £10k chrono against a £26k chrono. My Daytona is my favourite watch. - it’s the one I wanted for over a decade and to finally get one from an AD ended my grail search. Having had a 15500 for nearly a week now, I totally get AP through and through. I tried on the chrono and wow what an amazing watch.

Money wise the Daytona all day long, overall quality the AP.

Problem is someone (well all of us in a way) decided the Daytona was worth over double RRP in the grey market so we now make unfair comparisons.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 11:39 PM   #42
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I wear the APRO carefully, much more so than any watch. If I need to do dishes, laundry, or walk the dogs, I’m wearing a Rolex. But for nights out to dinner (past tense) and wearing dress shirts it’s a great companion. It just shines in so many ways with the dial, bezel, and bracelet like no other.
I almost fell off my chair reading that doing dishes, laundry or walking the dog was a cause for concern wearing a Royal Oak. Good grief!
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:48 AM   #43
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Both. If you can.

It’s not an either situation to be very honest... regardless of some of opinion and putting down on this post of one or the other.

The Daytona for a daily and carefree wear. And if you’re paying retail or a tad more than retail. Not at 2x. It’s a solid movement, and one of the best made by Rolex. The white dial has been hyped too much, so much that post purchase dissonance isn’t uncommon and which is why paying 2x retail doesn’t make sense. It is a very comfortable watch to wear.

The RO for more occasional wear. You can daily it, but it will show and not many can take the sight of a banged up RO. Not even the ones that profess they like how it shows “character”. The RO bracelet is a thing of beauty and having it on your wrist is pure joy. 41 on a 7” wrist should be perfect IMO.

I’ve never understood the “next level” BS to be honest when comparing 2 very different watches. Personally I filter out such comments instantly.

I would strongly suggest trying before buying. Only you can see for yourself which appeals more to you. Photos are a very poor alternative to actually trying them on your wrist.

You have 2 excellent choices in front of you.

I would also suggest seeking input from members who have or had both watches so you can more objective inputs. You’ll find many members here who are fortunate to own both watches.

I've owned both. At retail, Daytona, but it is really close. Secondary market AP and it isn't close at all.

If you are a person that just doesn't love the look of AP, then I can see this being difficult, but if you do like the look of AP, then this is a no brainer. The RO is a MUCH better watch. Period. It should be, it's twice the cost (MSRP).

All that said, your lifestyle is a huge factor here. If you lead a super active outdoor lifestyle I'd seriously consider the Daytona. The AP is the MUCH nicer watch, but the Daytona is more durable, without a doubt.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:56 AM   #44
asrah
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I was in the same position , I got the chance to buy 15450 at MSRP after waiting for Over 7 months but when the time came to actually try it on my hand it’s just didn’t feel right on my 7” wrist and I had to pass. It’s a big purchase for me and having to think that it might be too small for me scared me off. Pictures don’t really show don’t show the size you may think it’s close to Rolex GMT but in real it’s much smaller , the only way you can wear as if a dress watch but it loose the sporty look factor. Now I am back looking for alternatives I may actually by Rolex root beer CHNR after saw one in person it was awesome and relatively obtainable at MSRP
asrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:16 AM   #45
ts3
"TRF" Member

Very different watches and it very much depends on what you want from the watch and what else you have got...

As an only watch I'd pick the ceramic Daytona just because I want one watch that can take quite a beating w/o breaking or looking beat up in no time.

Based on what I have got I would still pick the Daytona. It would nicely fit in as a "semi-beater" between my IWC Mark XV beater on the one hand and my Patek 3998P and 5711 blue on the other hand. In contrast, the RO would much more directly compete w the 5711 for wrist time.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 04:03 AM   #46
ragsk
Banned

Royal oak without a doubt.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 05:30 AM   #47
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

Unless you're so rich you don't give a damn about money at all, paying grey market price for a Daytona is the ultimate cuck move
Soondooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 06:46 AM   #48
HMHM
"TRF" Member

It really depends on situation.. if Daytona vs RO at MSRP then definitely Daytona. It's a reliable watch, comfortable to wear with its more traditional proportions and it is just an incredibly hard to get at retail price. At 2x retail things get a little bit difficult because the WG/YG OF Daytona is a much better watch compared to the its SS counterpart. The OF is very comfortable and the weight of the PM Daytona makes each time you wear it feel like an occasion.

The RO is a nice watch... but its such a nice watch that wearing it puts a little pressure on the wearer LOL. The experience of purchasing the AP is really amazing. You feel like you are being accepted into part of a family. The ability to log your purchases on the AP website and its date available worldwide means that when you visit an AP boutique/AP house abroad you don't have to develop a relationship to purchase another watch and can just continue building your profile for the next piece.

Conclusion:
If retail: SS Daytona > PM Daytona > SS RO
If grey: SS RO > PM Daytona > SS Daytona

AP 15500ST.jpeg
Rolex Daytona.jpeg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote