The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2020, 03:31 PM   #31
bosch88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
Which RO is feasible to get at list for a first time buyer?

All of the boutiques say you need to buy a bunch of watches that aren't in high demand (e.g. diamond bedazzled ones) before they will sell you the ones that have more wide aesthetic appeal.
I second this. RO’s, are not easy to get. Been looking. No one has one to sell you unless you are a vvip.
bosch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:25 AM   #32
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

These greys are desperately holding onto their ideal selling price but I check chrono24 and it’s the same watches from the same greys sitting there months later, with 30 or so offers for the same “hype” watches. They will lowball you if you’re looking to trade too bc they are desperate to make a profit. Once eviction halts are lifted they’ll need rent $$
cryptorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 03:27 AM   #33
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I do......the efforts to control the market are as strong as ever.

My issue is I don't know how they do it at 50,000 watches.

At 5k RM, ALS, FPJ can do it.

I don't know how it works at 50k.
40k pieces.

This year, because of production issues caused by the pandemic, they estimate 37,500.

Their strategy of limiting supply to the grey market is working well and paying dividends. Lets see how long this all lasts, it doesn't make sense, imo.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 03:31 PM   #34
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
40k pieces.

This year, because of production issues caused by the pandemic, they estimate 37,500.

Their strategy of limiting supply to the grey market is working well and paying dividends. Lets see how long this all lasts, it doesn't make sense, imo.
I'm sorry but they are failing to limit supply to the grey market.

Have you seen how many new RO's have popped up in the past week on the grey market?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:29 AM   #35
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptorx View Post
These greys are desperately holding onto their ideal selling price but I check chrono24 and it’s the same watches from the same greys sitting there months later, with 30 or so offers for the same “hype” watches. They will lowball you if you’re looking to trade too bc they are desperate to make a profit. Once eviction halts are lifted they’ll need rent $$
I've actually been calling around (quite a bit) about these (e.g. 15202ST), and the pattern I've seen is that there are 30+ listings but none of them have the watches!

They all put them at high prices and then if you ask they will go and try to source one. So they put a high price with some headroom to buy from some other source. Maybe other dealers anchor off of the price points from their peers, and you get a continuous creep up of the listing price because each is including headroom and then bumping when they see others bump.

I'd say > 50% of the listings on Chrono24 are at places that don't have the piece at all when you contact them. Weeks later the piece is still listed...
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:36 AM   #36
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptorx View Post
I've actually called around a lot recently on some of these that show 30+ so watches (15202ST), and I've found a different pattern.

I don't get the impression are just sitting there unsold. When I call in, most of the dealers say they don't have the item and will have to source one. So it seems possible they adding some padding to the prices to give some headroom in case they have to buy it. Then maybe other dealers anchor off of the newly increased prices and increase theirs too, making stuff listed on chrono24 creep up and up.

I'd say > 50% of the listings on Chrono24, I call the dealer and they don't have it. Then it's still listed weeks later...
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 08:48 AM   #37
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
I've actually called around a lot recently on some of these that show 30+ so watches (15202ST), and I've found a different pattern.

I don't get the impression are just sitting there unsold. When I call in, most of the dealers say they don't have the item and will have to source one. So it seems possible they adding some padding to the prices to give some headroom in case they have to buy it. Then maybe other dealers anchor off of the newly increased prices and increase theirs too, making stuff listed on chrono24 creep up and up.

I'd say > 50% of the listings on Chrono24, I call the dealer and they don't have it. Then it's still listed weeks later...
That's how 90% of the listings work, which is why I refer to C24 as a cesspool. If you hear the words "I need to source it", unless you genuinely trust them and have worked with them, you should run. You're adding 10% to your price for everybody in the "sourcing line".
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 09:00 AM   #38
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
That's how 90% of the listings work, which is why I refer to C24 as a cesspool. If you hear the words "I need to source it", unless you genuinely trust them and have worked with them, you should run. You're adding 10% to your price for everybody in the "sourcing line".

Most of the listings in C24 are "fake" in that they don't have inventory.

Think of it this way, if you had the real watch in inventory, why would you use a stock photo? That's what most of the listings are.
Old 18 September 2020, 09:32 AM   #39
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've actually been calling around (quite a bit) about these (e.g. 15202ST), and the pattern I've seen is that there are 30+ listings but none of them have the watches!

They all put them at high prices and then if you ask they will go and try to source one. So they put a high price with some headroom to buy from some other source. Maybe other dealers anchor off of the price points from their peers, and you get a continuous creep up of the listing price because each is including headroom and then bumping when they see others bump.

I'd say > 50% of the listings on Chrono24 are at places that don't have the piece at all when you contact them. Weeks later the piece is still listed...
Yes I have noticed this too. I asked about a piece a while ago and the grey said they expected an incoming in about a month they could sell to me. But never followed up lol. They are going off the basis of making profit. A grey might be buying from a grey who bought from another grey. *shrugs* So really the grey market (when I say this I’m mostly meaning chrono) runs off intangibles.
cryptorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 12:05 PM   #40
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Rising tide lift all boats. When people sell their sport Rolex at 30k, they will also have more cash to spend on other watches, it's like knock-on effect on Patek and AP pricing too.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 12:07 PM   #41
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Bubbles pop.
Old 18 September 2020, 10:33 PM   #42
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Bubbles pop.
Only if it is a bubble in the first place, which I do not think it is.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 10:34 PM   #43
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Only if it is a bubble in the first place, which I do not think it is.
SS rolex models certainly are. No way a standard sub is worth 18-20k. AP is still mostly reasonable outside of the jumbo..
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote