The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2020, 02:01 PM   #121
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Maybe I'm wrong, but the trend started with the 2011 cerachrom bezel everose Daytona. Followed by the 2013 platinum Daytona, and the in 2016 the steal cerachrom bezel Daytona. Although I read rumors that since 2016 Rolex increased overall production while the number of AD's has been reduced. I feel Rolex will continue to reduce the number of AD's. The volume of production will not increase so you will never see a surplus, and getting a SUB at retail will become increasingly difficult.
Old 19 September 2020, 02:07 PM   #122
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Nope! I’d buy matching datejusts we’d actually wear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 04:38 PM   #123
TTalk
Banned

Nope.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:33 PM   #124
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Not even with a stolen coronacash debit card.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:34 PM   #125
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I think 15k is reasonable for the new Date sub, but not the no-date version.

I think the no-date version could be a buy at 13k.

Anyone who says "MSRP only!!1 grey prices are crazy, blah blah" is living in denial. You are NOT going to be able to get these at MSRP. It will not happen, put this fairy tale out of your brain. They are NOT available. For every 1 watch that Rolex produces, there are probably 50 to 100 interested parties, ready to buy like consumer zombies even if they don't understand what they are buying. They are just following the herd on Instagram/Pinterest/FB/Tik-Tok etc. Do you honestly think you'd even see one in the case?? It wouldn't even last 10 minutes.

The Sub is the new Daytona. The LV model is already hitting the market at 2x retail.

The only way to get a highly desired piece is (a.) to cough up the premium, get it grey, and not deal with BS, or (b.) become a "preferred" client and spend $100k or more so you can be invited to special pretentious Rolex showings and get offered first dibs on the few, handful of models that the ADs rarely get.

But you really can't blame the ADs. They just don't get them. Folks, if they had more of them, they'd be in the cases! Rolex purposefully suppresses production to make you desire it more. The exclusive allure adds to the perceived value of the brand.
Old 19 September 2020, 06:01 PM   #126
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I reckon there'll be tons of secondhand ones joining the truckloads of older black Subs within 12 months. How much does anyone think they'll be going for? Above retail?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:08 PM   #127
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I think 15k is reasonable for the new Date sub, but not the no-date version.

I think the no-date version could be a buy at 13k.

Anyone who says "MSRP only!!1 grey prices are crazy, blah blah" is living in denial. You are NOT going to be able to get these at MSRP. It will not happen, put this fairy tale out of your brain. They are NOT available. For every 1 watch that Rolex produces, there are probably 50 to 100 interested parties, ready to buy like consumer zombies even if they don't understand what they are buying. They are just following the herd on Instagram/Pinterest/FB/Tik-Tok etc. Do you honestly think you'd even see one in the case?? It wouldn't even last 10 minutes.

The Sub is the new Daytona. The LV model is already hitting the market at 2x retail.

The only way to get a highly desired piece is (a.) to cough up the premium, get it grey, and not deal with BS, or (b.) become a "preferred" client and spend $100k or more so you can be invited to special pretentious Rolex showings and get offered first dibs on the few, handful of models that the ADs rarely get.

But you really can't blame the ADs. They just don't get them. Folks, if they had more of them, they'd be in the cases! Rolex purposefully suppresses production to make you desire it more. The exclusive allure adds to the perceived value of the brand.

Just
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:25 PM   #128
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
No.
You can buy another nice Rolex with 15k
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 07:18 PM   #129
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Not in 1000 years!!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 07:25 PM   #130
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
No. There are plenty of AD “still” that can deliver it at ASRP.

Old 19 September 2020, 07:25 PM   #131
Onikage
"TRF" Member

It's a 5 grand watch. Sorry. 6 grand for the date one. My final offer.
Old 19 September 2020, 07:39 PM   #132
aceofangel
"TRF" Member

To think I bought a 114060 in 2018 for half that...

Maybe $10k, $15k is crazy, you can get a BLNR with that money.
aceofangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:15 PM   #133
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
It's a 5 grand watch. Sorry. 6 grand for the date one. My final offer.
I’d say $8-$9k is actually pretty fair in comparison to others in the market. The finishing, small details like the markers, etc, it *is* a notch above Omega/Tudor/etc, but anything over $10k for a stainless watch (other than a Royal Oak or a Nautilus) with no special functions is absurd. However, if people want to throw that money away, to each his or her own
Old 19 September 2020, 08:23 PM   #134
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Icon7

I might move a bit. Not much.
Old 19 September 2020, 09:06 PM   #135
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
No. There are plenty of AD “still” that can deliver it at ASRP.

Exactly, other guy is smoking some good stuff claiming you ‘must’ pay grey prices for a black sub. There’s literally 4 threads on the first page of TRF about incomings for the new black Sub
Old 19 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #136
thegig444
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I wouldn’t but if you really want it and can pay the premium, go for it. My guess is that Rolex will be making Submariners in very large volumes so you’ll eventually be able to get one and grey prices will likely come down quickly.

thegig444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:45 PM   #137
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

If you are going to pay a massive grey premium, at least go for watches that are very hard to get.

I am talking about a Daytona C.

Chip in a few extra G's into your budget, and go big and get yourself a Daytona. $15K for no date Sub is... let's just say laughable.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #138
smccolough
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milguass
It has to end soon.
smccolough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:52 PM   #139
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

For a NOS 14060M or BNIB 126613LB, I would. But not for the 124060.
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:54 PM   #140
AntonisCy
"TRF" Member

No chance.
AntonisCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:10 PM   #141
chlgpm
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I think everyone who has replied to this thread agreed that MSRP is the way to go on a Sub. That is probably easier said than done. I don’t have a relationship with any ADs nearby. I have always bought from online dealers. I once talked to a local AD about the black dial DeepSea. It is probably the least popular sports model. Yet 2 years later, I still haven’t heard from that AD.
If you can get the Sub at MSRP from an AD, God bless you! But for a regular guy like me, the only way to get one at reasonable timeframe is through a gray dealer. Yes...I agree that there are many choices at this price range. But if the ND Sub is the one that I have my eyes on, I am sorry to say that there would be no substitute. If I got something else, I would always think about the Sub. After 30 years of this watch hobby, I know I need to buy the exact model that I want. A new IWC or Omega may temporarily satisfy the craving...but it won’t be long lasting. I think most people would agree. Maybe $15K is too much, but I would definitely pull the trigger around $12-13K. That is just my thinking around these crazy times.
chlgpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:18 PM   #142
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlgpm View Post
I think everyone who has replied to this thread agreed that MSRP is the way to go on a Sub. That is probably easier said than done. I don’t have a relationship with any ADs nearby. I have always bought from online dealers. I once talked to a local AD about the black dial DeepSea. It is probably the least popular sports model. Yet 2 years later, I still haven’t heard from that AD.
If you can get the Sub at MSRP from an AD, God bless you! But for a regular guy like me, the only way to get one at reasonable timeframe is through a gray dealer. Yes...I agree that there are many choices at this price range. But if the ND Sub is the one that I have my eyes on, I am sorry to say that there would be no substitute. If I got something else, I would always think about the Sub. After 30 years of this watch hobby, I know I need to buy the exact model that I want. A new IWC or Omega may temporarily satisfy the craving...but it won’t be long lasting. I think most people would agree. Maybe $15K is too much, but I would definitely pull the trigger around $12-13K. That is just my thinking around these crazy times.
Perhaps touch base more than one time, establish yourself.

Randomly popping in once and putting down a name does nothing.
Old 19 September 2020, 11:21 PM   #143
chlgpm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

How about you try to get the ND Sub from your AD and I pay you 12K for it?
Old 19 September 2020, 11:22 PM   #144
chlgpm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

It sounded like you could get newly released SS models all day long at MSRP from ADs.
Old 19 September 2020, 11:22 PM   #145
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

That’s the TRF way
Old 19 September 2020, 11:26 PM   #146
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Tough one, instinct is to say the price is way too high but over the last 3/4 years we keep hearing this refrain only to see prices rise and rise on some Rolex, AP and PP models like a Giffen good, question is will this be one or will it behave more like a Normal good after the initial euphoria and first adopters are taken out. That is the call you have to make.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:27 PM   #147
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:

And this is the reason why the prices will not go back to msrp. There is high demand everywhere from people fixated that there can only be one watch/brand for them. Nothing against this, but just want to highlight why we are where we are now.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:28 PM   #148
Carlos282
"TRF" Member

Grey market prices are ridiculously over priced! If anything I would think prices should be lower given people would be waiting for the new 2020 models to come available. Those older models are pretty plentiful and are likely to saturate the market now.
Carlos282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:35 PM   #149
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I don’t burn bridges with my ADs and flip, nor am I interested in becoming what I see as part of the problem as I’ve been in the watch game since around ‘08.

Cheers though, I was giving you some actual advice to improve your chances and you want to reply that way
Old 19 September 2020, 11:36 PM   #150
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon-turbo View Post
And this is the reason why the prices will not go back to msrp. There is high demand everywhere from people fixated that there can only be one watch/brand for them. Nothing against this, but just want to highlight why we are where we are now.
Yup, my mouth was pretty wide open. Comfortable paying $12-$13k for a no date sub, mind boggling.