The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2020, 04:10 PM   #31
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I won’t . That’s crazy. I bought my 36 mm red grape dial for below retail. I am not about to pay twice that much a few years later for a new color. I will wait for the hype to die down, should I decide I want the aqua dial variant.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:21 PM   #32
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Very strange. I was looking around at some of the latest prices and its really startling.
Its called being in a bubble.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:30 PM   #33
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I won’t . That’s crazy. I bought my 36 mm red grape dial for below retail.
As did we in March this year. Little did we know it was about to be dropped. Would have been gutted if we'd missed that boat.

As to the wider discussion about "fools" and "suckers". Some may be. But it is worth remembering that some people are much wealthier and will drop £10K as if it was a parking ticket. This doesn't necessarily make them suckers. They might regard others who are not as rich as them as suckers. And they might be right. After all, some of them were working their butts off while others were sitting around moaning and complaining.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:59 PM   #34
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I will wait for the hype to die down...
Do you think it will?
And when?

I was saying that for a while too, but none of the models I want seem to be going down over the last couple of years.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 08:18 PM   #35
fania123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Thanks for the free publicity, OP.
60 seconds ago, I didn't know that DavidSW is selling the new Oyster Perpetual.
But now I do.
Good job!
My pleasure, on a side note I’ve got a lovely little bridge for sale if you’re interested 😜
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 08:21 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
you assume that the Price in $ USD is the same as the value in "Social Currency"

While I agree that the "Social Currency Market" is also a fickle bubble... you have to take a few steps back and look at the lens you are using to view the world...

Someone with a different lens is not asking why anyone would pay 10k for a 6K watch, he is asking why anyone would pay 6k for a watch...

We respond "you'll never understand" - the emotion, the passion, etc. etc. "Luxury transcends practical and logical thought"...

those who would pay the price because of the value in social currency to be one of the exclusive "haves" compared to the "have-nots" will respond to you the same way we respond to the NON-WIS out there, "You'll never understand.."

We are both right... but I think it's time for a brief moment where we appreciate that we have become a parody of ourselves...

it's a rainstorm, we're outside with no umbrella, and we're calling someone an idiot for jumping in a pool and telling him he's going to get wet...
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 08:56 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The market will respond to what people will pay. DavidSW is testing the market and when the demand is satisfied at that level prices will adjust.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:57 PM   #38
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Its called being in a bubble.
Hope you’re right. Over the past 40 years, haven’t noticed Rolex price “bubbles” bursting. Greys are new to me so maybe so?? At the AD where I worked, 20 years ago they had a estate jewelry and watch case where in an occasional deal, they took in watch trades for a new one. One of the owners called them “his little friends” since they didn’t move very fast...
Old 22 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #39
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Not me...
Old 22 September 2020, 10:56 PM   #40
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Thought the same thing. This entire line is a clear downgrade IMO to the 39mm OPs which sold at or below retail.

DavidSW and other top greys do have the power to define price and manipulate desirability. However, these OPs selling above 4500-6000 is a joke to me.

They were poorly executed IMO. The colors are awesome though. Just not my cup of tea.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:59 PM   #41
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
It's less than what you can get a DJ41 these days, so what are the alternatives when ADs don't or won't sell you one? It's crazy, I agree.
What? Here's an unworn blue dial DJ41 for 1k less at DSW. OP41 is more expensive than the DJ41 at the moment. Perhaps because of the novelty. We'll see what happens in half a year.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:21 PM   #42
LeftHookLacey
"TRF" Member

I quite curious, as 2 months ago I could not care less about the grey market, but now its interestng.

It today's world of JIT inventory, i'd be intersted to know how long these greys sit on inventory.

I've been atching a local grey with a airking for 10K, just out of interest.
LeftHookLacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:45 PM   #43
MAJ75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you assume that the Price in $ USD is the same as the value in "Social Currency"

While I agree that the "Social Currency Market" is also a fickle bubble... you have to take a few steps back and look at the lens you are using to view the world...

Someone with a different lens is not asking why anyone would pay 10k for a 6K watch, he is asking why anyone would pay 6k for a watch...

We respond "you'll never understand" - the emotion, the passion, etc. etc. "Luxury transcends practical and logical thought"...

those who would pay the price because of the value in social currency to be one of the exclusive "haves" compared to the "have-nots" will respond to you the same way we respond to the NON-WIS out there, "You'll never understand.."

We are both right... but I think it's time for a brief moment where we appreciate that we have become a parody of ourselves...

it's a rainstorm, we're outside with no umbrella, and we're calling someone an idiot for jumping in a pool and telling him he's going to get wet...
Quality observation here, well said.
MAJ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:52 AM   #44
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Anyone pay $50+ for a dozen of roses on Valentines Day ?
Any other day is about $12 per dozen.

Anyone buy concert tickets or sporting event tickets from scalpers ?

Rolex is no different now.
If you can't buy from AD ... you gotta pay the premium.

Sometimes happiness is priceless.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:08 AM   #45
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Out of stock!
Screenshot_20200922-170737.jpg
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:10 AM   #46
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

This will continue until people stop paying the ridiculous prices. American capitalism at its best.
Old 23 September 2020, 01:25 AM   #47
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
There's a wrist for every seat orrr... something like that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:30 AM   #48
rolexonlywatch
Banned

Watch: DJ2 41mm Winbledon
Lol. This is more worse than stock market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolexonlywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:04 AM   #49
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Never actually thought of it that way but it's exactly what we have today and it's perfectly sensible. I should use your comment as a sig line.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:08 AM   #50
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
That mustard yellow dial is seriously unattractive. As for the price - it’s not my money
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:08 AM   #51
jtrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Someone did, the watch is gone. There is also a red coral OP in 41mm for sale at the same price.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:29 AM   #52
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
Quote:

Best reply I read in a long time. Thank you Superdoc!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:47 AM   #53
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

Perfect
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:06 AM   #54
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Thought the same thing. This entire line is a clear downgrade IMO to the 39mm OPs which sold at or below retail.

DavidSW and other top greys do have the power to define price and manipulate desirability. However, these OPs selling above 4500-6000 is a joke to me.

They were poorly executed IMO. The colors are awesome though. Just not my cup of tea.
How is a watch with an updated movement with 70hr power reserve, 41mm size, easy link bracelet and 7 different dials to choose from a 'downgrade'? If you don't like the watch that is fine but to say any watch with those upgrades over the previous model is poorly executed is a bit of hyperbole isn't it?
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:16 AM   #55
jackminny15

Watch: Always changin'
Chase is selling an OP41 unworn for a lot less:

https://www.nashvillewatch.com/produ...mm-2020-unworn
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:17 AM   #56
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post
Chase is selling an OP41 unworn for a lot less:

https://www.nashvillewatch.com/produ...mm-2020-unworn
Nahhh. That’s the 36mm. Lol
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #57
jackminny15

Watch: Always changin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Nahhh. That’s the 36mm. Lol
I noticed that after I posted it and corrected it to the correct model.
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:23 AM   #58
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post
I noticed that after I posted it and corrected it to the correct model.
Seems the 'colorful' dials (Green, Turquoise, Coral, and Yellow) are going for a significant premium over the 'basic' dials (Black, Blue, Silver)
Almost like two different markets really.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:45 AM   #59
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Well for some people $10k is pocket change, so there will always people willing to pay to get what they want.
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:53 AM   #60
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
When I really got into watches it was a weird thing that people would spend money on a watch when among the short list of mobile phone features was a clock.. Now people seem to be throwing armfuls of cash at the most basic of watches and mobile phones are fully featured computers. Pretty heart warming I must say.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote