The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2020, 09:27 PM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Should every watch give you “That Feeling”

A question for you guys. You know “that feeling” you get when you wear a certain watch. When you can’t stop staring at and it always excites you and makes you feel good.

Well I have had my sky dweller, with white dial for over a year now and I wear it almost every day for at least some period of the day, I usually change watches a couple times a day. And I still have that feeling even though I’ve worn it so much and the bracelet has long stopped squeaking I love it.

I’m wearing my sky dweller with my gym clothes right now, just finished (didn’t wear it btw put it back on after) and I still think it looks great.

I have quite a few watches I posted my collection a little while ago if you want to check it out, some watches much more expensive than this one. Across the range of my collection I don’t get that feeling with every other watch. Sometimes I fancy to wear something different but they just feel a bit meh sometimes compared to others (and I’m talking all Rolex). Not to say I don’t like them I love them all just don’t get that same feeling.

How do you guys feel About this do you think every watch in your collection should give you that special feeling or do you think it’s ok to have some which don’t?
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I love all my watches and up until January this year rotated and wore them equally. Then I got this.

It's not that I don't still love all my watches, or that they don't all get a turn, it's just that I can't seem to avoid wanting to go straight to the Sky Dweller.

When I visited my AD in June, I discovered a cure. Or is it merely an alternative illness?

Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:38 PM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I love all my watches and up until January this year rotated and wore them equally. Then I got this.

It's not that I don't still love all my watches, or that they don't all get a turn, it's just that I can't seem to avoid wanting to go straight to the Sky Dweller.

When I visited my AD in June, I discovered a cure. Or is it merely an alternative illness?

Maybe it’s just the sky dweller! Lol! I have three and a tt on order!
Old 22 September 2020, 09:48 PM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Maybe it’s just the sky dweller! Lol! I have three and a tt on order!
Yep. Could well be.

Best to keep buying them until you get sick of them :)
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:58 PM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This never gave me that feeling

I bought it and wasn’t sure. It it’s one of the few watches that seriously grew on me over about 2 weeks. Now it’s my fav Speedmaster and I have a few different types

I’d say the WG Daytona on oyster flex gives me that feeling. It just feels right

So for me, I love all my watches but only a few are a wow moment every time for me. And that speedy never was at the start but definitely is now
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:58 PM   #6
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I’ve had mine since last year March and every time I look at it I’m simply “wowed”.

I’ve got an SD43 which I like but doesn’t give me that wow factor or feeling.

Been on the waitlist for a SS BLRO for the last 2 years and recently got to try one on for the first time and couldn’t believe how underwhelmed I was.

To answer your question, I’ve got a few Rolex’s that I love and enjoy wearing but only a couple of them give me that feeling, but I still enjoy wearing all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #7
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

The illness is real and it’s the part of this hobby I truly love. I get that feeling on every Rolex I own and a few non Rolex like my Omega Moon watch and my 1975 Porsche Design chronograph.
Old 22 September 2020, 10:42 PM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The illness is real and it’s the part of this hobby I truly love. I get that feeling on every Rolex I own and a few non Rolex like my Omega Moon watch and my 1975 Porsche Design chronograph.
This is kinda the point I was getting at, thinking should I only keep the ones that give me that feeling and try to sell some and replace with others that do. Even though I love them all there’s only a few that feel really special to me.
Old 22 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #9
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwatchguy View Post

I’ve had mine since last year March and every time I look at it I’m simply “wowed”.

I’ve got an SD43 which I like but doesn’t give me that wow factor or feeling.

Been on the waitlist for a SS BLRO for the last 2 years and recently got to try one on for the first time and couldn’t believe how underwhelmed I was.

To answer your question, I’ve got a few Rolex’s that I love and enjoy wearing but only a couple of them give me that feeling, but I still enjoy wearing all of them

I love it just as much on your wrist as on mine ha.
Old 22 September 2020, 10:59 PM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Looks great on you.

All my watches give me either “that feeling” or evoke some memories/thoughts.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:33 PM   #11
MAJ75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

I bought it and wasn’t sure. It it’s one of the few watches that seriously grew on me over about 2 weeks. Now it’s my fav Speedmaster and I have a few different types

I’d say the WG Daytona on oyster flex gives me that feeling. It just feels right

So for me, I love all my watches but only a few are a wow moment every time for me. And that speedy never was at the start but definitely is now
You nailed this wrist shot my friend, I can see why it sings to you....
MAJ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:35 PM   #12
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is kinda the point I was getting at, thinking should I only keep the ones that give me that feeling and try to sell some and replace with others that do. Even though I love them all there’s only a few that feel really special to me.

Makes sense! I guess it all also depends on your situation, which by yours it looks like you just buy what you like to wear and not really trying to build a themed collection.
I say move some on and make way for others. I might even do the same!

ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:39 PM   #13
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

For me "that feeling" actually grows as I wear a watch. Whenever I change watches it takes me a few days to acclimate to my new one. Once I get used a to a new watch on my wrist the feeling grows and it actually becomes difficult to take it off and switch. lol
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:40 PM   #14
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
New to Rolex and the one watch I have gives me the feeling, looking to add another reference but I don't know if I will ever have the same feeling towards the next as getting the first Rolex is special, especially as its its a Bluesy.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #15
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Yes, only keep those that excite me or have a special history in my life. But I have learned that I need to put a watch down for a month or two, then try it again to make sure that the feeling is gone. If ti is gone, the watch is gone.
Old 22 September 2020, 11:44 PM   #16
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622

I know what OP is feeling. Had this watch so far for half a year and everytime i put it on i can't help feeling like my days a little better and brighter.
Old 22 September 2020, 11:46 PM   #17
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

SUPERB. How is the bracelet?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:51 PM   #18
samsample007
Banned

Wearing my makes me feel excited and a bit proud I must say....hahahah
samsample007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:53 PM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

All opinions don’t count until the “new” watch is at least one full year old. This honeymoon high can warp your brain. It’s also what keeps the addict constantly flipping and looking for the next “new” watch.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
All opinions don’t count until the “new” watch is at least one full year old. This honeymoon high can warp your brain. It’s also what keeps the addict constantly flipping and looking for the next “new” watch.
100% Correct
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:00 AM   #21
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I got this one 7 months ago and can't take it off. It is destroying my Sub C for wrist time, so much so I may sell it and buy a cheap beater for the very rare time I need one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subs2.jpg (79.7 KB, 653 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:04 AM   #22
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJ75 View Post
You nailed this wrist shot my friend, I can see why it sings to you....
Thanks you sir
Old 23 September 2020, 12:07 AM   #23
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
SUPERB. How is the bracelet?
Love the flat link bracelet on these. The mini integrated glidelock style clasp is fantastic, "push" to adjust. I honestly don't know why it wasn't included on the similar flat link bracelet of the 50th Speedy / Apollo 11.
Old 23 September 2020, 12:16 AM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

A question for you guys. You know “that feeling” you get when you wear a certain watch. When you can’t stop staring at and it always excites you and makes you feel good.

Well I have had my sky dweller, with white dial for over a year now and I wear it almost every day for at least some period of the day, I usually change watches a couple times a day. And I still have that feeling even though I’ve worn it so much and the bracelet has long stopped squeaking I love it.

I’m wearing my sky dweller with my gym clothes right now, just finished (didn’t wear it btw put it back on after) and I still think it looks great.

I have quite a few watches I posted my collection a little while ago if you want to check it out, some watches much more expensive than this one. Across the range of my collection I don’t get that feeling with every other watch. Sometimes I fancy to wear something different but they just feel a bit meh sometimes compared to others (and I’m talking all Rolex). Not to say I don’t like them I love them all just don’t get that same feeling.

How do you guys feel About this do you think every watch in your collection should give you that special feeling or do you think it’s ok to have some which don’t?

Here is what no one will admit....That feeling wears off. Its the quick dopamine rush from having something new, and it goes away. There has not been a watch I have owned since the early 80's that I have not wanted another and the initial rush of the new watch fades.

Its the meaning associated with the watch-built not by being in the safe, but built by wearing daily through the years and becomes associated with the important people, places, and events in our lives. This is what makes a watch a keeper, and the feeling that develops over the years is a different feeling than when one first buys the watch. Its like an old friend, you think about how many things have changes, look down at the wrist and it keeps ticking away unchanged save for a few more wrinkles lol. Thats very different than the new watch feeling.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #25
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

I know exactly what you’re talking about. Here are my pieces that give me that feeling.

downtorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:23 AM   #26
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
If it doesn't give you "that feeling", why would you buy it or keep it?
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:33 AM   #27
DavidRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:

This is interesting - did you leave your Sky Dweller in the locker? I've always been wary of this since I've seen so many smash/grabs. I usually now wear mine into the gym and/or leave it at home and wear a cheap beater. Too scared to leave it in my locker.
DavidRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:37 AM   #28
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRT View Post
This is interesting - did you leave your Sky Dweller in the locker? I've always been wary of this since I've seen so many smash/grabs. I usually now wear mine into the gym and/or leave it at home and wear a cheap beater. Too scared to leave it in my locker.
Nooo switched it to a seiko before I left home, which gets worn for all of two minutes before I get to the gym and put it in the locker as I don’t train with one on. Finish training seiko back on, get home sky dweller back on. Lol.
Old 23 September 2020, 12:38 AM   #29
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtorock View Post
I know exactly what you’re talking about. Here are my pieces that give me that feeling.

You definitely understand the feeling
Old 23 September 2020, 12:43 AM   #30
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

I keep a dashboard on Chrono 24 with the watches in my collection, plus all the ones i am seriously considering. For me to buy a watch it has to stay on my dashboard for a year straight. If after a year, i still want it, and like looking at it everyday on the dashboard, then i buy it.

This system hasn't let me down yet. I do the same with cars. If only i had done that with women ha.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote