The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2021, 08:20 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Servicing suggestions for an old Datejust

My inherited (from dad, grandpa) DJ is currently at RSC Dallas. Judging by the timetables I've seen here and my own communications with them, I should be getting a service estimate within a week. Also judging by previous posts here, I have a general sense of what they will recommend. Here is what I'm planning on asking to be done, with the goal of making this watch wearable as a potential daily wearer for another 30-40 years. I'm not going to spare much expense, within reason.

- New bracelet. Supposedly Rolex will offer to swap in a brand new bracelet. The original jubilee has a ridiculous amount of stretch, is missing links, and has the gold stripped off one of the endlinks. I think despite cost, a new bracelet is the way I want to go here.

- New crystal and crown. This seems pretty standard and needs to be done to ensure water resistance, so I will do it.

- Dial and hands. I'm definitely going to ask them not to replace the dial as I like that older champagne linen dial. I'm not sure about the hands though, any suggestions here?

-Full polish. I'd rather it look as "new" as possible, so will just ask them to do this with the case.

- And of course, just the full movement service.

Am I missing anything? Anything I should definitely do differently? As soon as I get the service estimate, I want to tell them exactly what I want done and hopefully get the watch back ASAP.

Here's the DJ for reference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad DJ 1.jpg (182.7 KB, 397 views)
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 08:29 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sounds like you are on the right track. A TT bracelet is expensive, but as you say, this is a keeper. They usually give you a core credit for the old one.

I wouldn't change the hands because they look fine. They were never much good in the dark and I have never been anyplace where I couldn't find a suitable light source.

Refinishing the case is part of the service, you don't need to ask, as is a plexi crystal for waterproofness.
Old 30 July 2021, 10:15 AM   #3
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. A TT bracelet is expensive, but as you say, this is a keeper. They usually give you a core credit for the old one.

I wouldn't change the hands because they look fine. They were never much good in the dark and I have never been anyplace where I couldn't find a suitable light source.

Refinishing the case is part of the service, you don't need to ask, as is a plexi crystal for waterproofness.
Thank you! Didn't know Rolex still had plexi crystals, that is good.
Old 30 July 2021, 12:03 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
My inherited (from dad, grandpa) DJ is currently at RSC Dallas. Judging by the timetables I've seen here and my own communications with them, I should be getting a service estimate within a week. Also judging by previous posts here, I have a general sense of what they will recommend. Here is what I'm planning on asking to be done, with the goal of making this watch wearable as a potential daily wearer for another 30-40 years. I'm not going to spare much expense, within reason.

- New bracelet. Supposedly Rolex will offer to swap in a brand new bracelet. The original jubilee has a ridiculous amount of stretch, is missing links, and has the gold stripped off one of the endlinks. I think despite cost, a new bracelet is the way I want to go here.

- New crystal and crown. This seems pretty standard and needs to be done to ensure water resistance, so I will do it.

- Dial and hands. I'm definitely going to ask them not to replace the dial as I like that older champagne linen dial. I'm not sure about the hands though, any suggestions here?

-Full polish. I'd rather it look as "new" as possible, so will just ask them to do this with the case.

Am I missing anything? Anything I should definitely do differently? As soon as I get the service estimate, I want to tell them exactly what I want done and hopefully get the watch back ASAP.

Sounds about right !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:47 PM   #5
zewill
"TRF" Member

IMHO you are changing everything about this watch. It’s a shame but it’s your watch. I would keep it as is, no polishing, maybe changing the bracelet but definitely would keep the old one. New sapphire or plexiglass OK, but nothing else imho. What will Rolex allow you to keep? Probably nothing apart from bracelet?
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
With the service items you mention, I think it will look great! The amount of stretch in the bracelet would bother me, so it seems good to have that replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:50 PM   #7
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
My sub has been at Rolex for 9 weeks due to delay in getting parts. Should be back next week. Estimate in May was 6 weeks. My advice is be patient.

Quote:

Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:50 PM   #8
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
They don’t give any old parts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
IMHO you are changing everything about this watch. It’s a shame but it’s your watch. I would keep it as is, no polishing, maybe changing the bracelet but definitely would keep the old one. New sapphire or plexiglass OK, but nothing else imho. What will Rolex allow you to keep? Probably nothing apart from bracelet?
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 12:53 PM   #9
zewill
"TRF" Member

In any case, think about it, there’s no going back :)
Old 30 July 2021, 01:00 PM   #10
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have a 1601 DJ TT on jubilee (circa 1968) that I had serviced 3 years ago at Rolex Dallas. As others have said, new plexi crystal comes standard, as does the case/bracelet refinishing. Previous owner already had Rolex replace the bracelet (the new one dates to 2005) and dial, which is a period correct champagne pie pan but not Tritium of course. Because of those "Rolex-but not original parts" I got a hell of a deal on the watch itself, which I just wanted to wear and enjoy, and I'll admit I don't understand the "all original, all the time, never polish, I want my damn parts back" people.

Anyway, they will only replace the crown if it is damaged and prevents the watch from holding pressure. That was the only part they insisted on replacing on mine, but said the crown on the watch when I sent it in was the 14k original. The replacement is 18k.

Anyway, you're going to get a watch back that's in perfect running order, looking new. Mine still keeps chronometer time, three years later, the dial is beautiful, and I like not having a stretched out bracelet.

That linen dial is a beaut.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 01:03 PM   #11
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I have a 1601 DJ TT on jubilee (circa 1968) that I had serviced 3 years ago at Rolex Dallas. As others have said, new plexi crystal comes standard, as does the case/bracelet refinishing. Previous owner already had Rolex replace the bracelet (the new one dates to 2005) and dial, which is a period correct champagne pie pan but not Tritium of course. Because of those "Rolex-but not original parts" I got a hell of a deal on the watch itself, which I just wanted to wear and enjoy, and I'll admit I don't understand the "all original, all the time, never polish, I want my damn parts back" people.

Anyway, they will only replace the crown if it is damaged and prevents the watch from holding pressure. That was the only part they insisted on replacing on mine, but said the crown on the watch when I sent it in was the 14k original. The replacement is 18k.

Anyway, you're going to get a watch back that's in perfect running order, looking new. Mine still keeps chronometer time, three years later, the dial is beautiful, and I like not having a stretched out bracelet.

That linen dial is a beaut.
But yours came from a stranger, and in that case I’m all for getting it redone (unless you plan to resell it for max value down the road).

If your dad or grandad made a big dent during some occasion you were there, I wouldn’t want to remove it or change the bracelet… but again, different people, different feelings, different everything
Old 30 July 2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Arid
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you already know what you want done. RSC has done amazing work on my older pieces. Your dj will come back looking new. Be sure to post pics ones you get it back.
Arid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 01:45 PM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Do it, build yourself a runner to last the rest of your life. Changing parts that need to be changed makes it no less theirs. You honor them and the watch by continuing to use it so do what needs to be done with a clear conscience.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:43 PM   #14
Strad
"TRF" Member

I had my 16013 serviced by a local watch maker. I had the Hesalite crystal replaced with a sapphire crystal. I got tired of continually polishing the plastic. However, I don't think Rolex will change out the plastic bezel for a sapphire. He lightly polished the case. One thing you have to be aware of is that when your case is polished Rolex will polish the bezel. You bezel seems to have sharp flutes. These can be smoothed out during polishing and then will not catch the light as well.

The bracelet needs some work. You could send your pic to Rolliworks and see what their estimate would be. I had them do a jubilee bracelet for me and they did an excellent job.
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:57 AM   #15
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Hi guys! Finally got my service estimate from RSC Dallas. WHEW! Anyway, a lot of this may be familiar to you veterans here, but I thought I'd still share the highlights in case any of you may be interested.

RSC divided the estimate into necessary and optional items. I was told I cannot pick and choose the necessary items, it was all or nothing.

So in addition to a full service (which will include the new acrylic crystal), replacing the actual case was included as a necessary item. The analysis showed that there was corrosion in the case, possibly due to moisture.

Interestingly, changing the dial was not given as a necessary OR optional service. Most service estimates I've seen here from others include the option to change the dial, so I'm wondering if enough people have asked to preserve their original dials so RSC doesn't suggest it anymore OR if it's because they don't manufacture the champagne linen dial anymore. Irrelevant, as I was going to keep the dial anyway.

Changing the hands and the bracelet were offered as "optional" items. As I stated above, I wanted to just get a new bracelet because of how bad the existing one was. Interestingly, RSC told me the new bracelet would come with a clasp style to match my original 16013's clasp, instead of the newer ones with Easylink. Maybe Rolex still manufactures or keeps in storage a bunch of the older style clasps for service usage? Hopefully some of you veterans can enlighten me.

I turned down the option for new hands. It was only $100, but I wanted the old hands/ dial to be maintained. Although it's quite funny that outside of the dial,hands, and movement I'm getting a brand new watch.

The entire damage is (GULP) about $7500. It's funny to think that's basically the price of a brand new stainless Datejust 36. But as I stated above, this is a sentimental piece, I wanted it restored as close to new as possible so I can hopefully wear it myself for another 40 years, and I was willing to not spare any expense (within reason) to get there. And most of the cost is the new bracelet anyway, which was optional. I'm sure most sane people would have opted to just get it repaired/restored.

So if all goes well, I'm getting the exterior of a brand new watch with the "heart" of a vintage 16013 that was worn for 40 years by my grandpa and dad.

Rolex says 6-8 weeks. Would suck if I'm without this watch for almost 3 months total, but hopefully it's all worth it.

A couple of interesting notes:

- RSC noted the clasp is not intended for this model. I have no idea (and I didn't ask) whether this means the clasp was intended for another Rolex (so maybe an aftermarket part picked up by a watchmaker who serviced this watch back in the day) or it's not Rolex OEM. It did look like a normal Rolex clasp that belongs on this watch. I'm assuming the former because I'm under the impression if the watch has any non-Rolex parts then they will refuse service.

- I finally found out the serial number of this watch. I had removed the bracelet prior to sending to RSC, but there was so much scratching on the case that I could not make out the serial number engraving. The 707x serial number seems to date this as a late 1981 production. SO CLOSE to being a birth year watch on top of the sentimentality it already brings (I'm 1982)! That being said, I'm just going to hope the watch was purchased and given to my grandpa (it was a gift from one of my older uncles) in 1982. Although my understanding is these watches would sit for a while at the ADs back in the day, so that's probably wishful thinking. But it's cool to imagine that this watch has been part of our family almost exactly as long as I have.
Old 4 August 2021, 08:25 AM   #16
bob sims
Banned

If you are going to go through all that you might want to think about getting a new identical 41 and just keep that as a special occasion wear.
Trust me-soon after 45 that 36 dial is going to look SMALL on the eyes.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 09:14 AM   #17
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I believe original bracelet can be restored. I can't recall who does this work, but you might search the forum on this topic . You might also check with LA Watchworks, I have read glowing reviews of their restoration work.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

How much was the bracelet, $4,500 ish? You may want to have Rolliworks estimate a refurbishment. My guess is that it is substantially less. They do fantastic work.
Michael T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 10:34 AM   #19
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Take a look at RolliWorks also.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 11:19 AM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
The 707x serial number seems to date this as a late 1981 production. SO CLOSE to being a birth year watch on top of the sentimentality it already brings (I'm 1982)! That being said, I'm just going to hope the watch was purchased and given to my grandpa (it was a gift from one of my older uncles) in 1982. Although my understanding is these watches would sit for a while at the ADs back in the day, so that's probably wishful thinking. But it's cool to imagine that this watch has been part of our family almost exactly as long as I have.
Look at the bright side, while not exactly a birth year watch you can always say it’s from the year that you were conceived.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 12:04 PM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Can't wait to see it on your wrist when you get it back. $7500, I think I would strongly consider getting the bracelet refurbished rather than replaced. But special watch. I certainly get it.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:21 PM   #22
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great story!

I too suggest getting the original bracelet refurbished, unless you intend to wear this often. We had my mother in law’s 1979 ladies DJ on a President bracelet redone at a fraction of the cost of a new bracelet. Hers was all gold, and the gold bracelet pins were so worn and stretched it was completely unwearable, much worse than how yours appears. I wore it just the other night to a fancy dinner, and it’s cool to be able to wear a 40+ year old watch that just looks great!

You have a wonderful linen dial!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:29 PM   #23
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Look at the bright side, while not exactly a birth year watch you can always say it’s from the year that you were conceived.
Old 4 August 2021, 02:37 PM   #24
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
Great story!

I too suggest getting the original bracelet refurbished, unless you intend to wear this often. We had my mother in law’s 1979 ladies DJ on a President bracelet redone at a fraction of the cost of a new bracelet. Hers was all gold, and the gold bracelet pins were so worn and stretched it was completely unwearable, much worse than how yours appears. I wore it just the other night to a fancy dinner, and it’s cool to be able to wear a 40+ year old watch that just looks great!

You have a wonderful linen dial!
Thanks! The bracelet was a tough decision because I knew before I sent it that RSC would give me the option to replace it, and I also live close to the much recommended Rolliworks.

I ultimately decided to go with the brand new one. The gold being peeled off on 1 endlink, and the fact I would need extra links (my gramps or dad lost the extra links and the watch with its present stretch fits me tightly which means post repair it would be too tight) meant I would have to put in a bit of extra money on top of however much it would cost to repair/restore, so I just decided to go with a new one.

I do hope to wear it often, if not everyday. I'm guessing a brand new case, crown, and crystal means RSC can get it to the standard 100m WR, and with a new tight bracelet I don't see why I couldn't make it a daily wearer for another 20 years at least, which was my goal.
Old 4 August 2021, 02:39 PM   #25
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Can't wait to see it on your wrist when you get it back. $7500, I think I would strongly consider getting the bracelet refurbished rather than replaced. But special watch. I certainly get it.
It's going to be a long 6-8 weeks, can't wait to see how it looks when I get it back!
Old 4 August 2021, 05:53 PM   #26
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Really looking forward to seeing this when it returns.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:43 PM   #27
Ensign
"TRF" Member

What a treasure! All the money in the world can’t buy a watch with that pedigree.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 07:18 PM   #28
Master_Grogu
Banned

Don't polish it! Just have them service it and perhaps correct the bracelet sag. Other than that, you would lose the character of the watch.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 10:55 PM   #29
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to seeing before vs after photos!
Old 5 August 2021, 03:27 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
RSC divided the estimate into necessary and optional items. I was told I cannot pick and choose the necessary items, it was all or nothing.

So in addition to a full service (which will include the new acrylic crystal), replacing the actual case was included as a necessary item. The analysis showed that there was corrosion in the case, possibly due to moisture.

. . . .
I don't have any issues with your decisions. You will have an almost-new DJ that will serve you for another 50 years, and look good doing it.

However, Rolex does not repair original cases, they replace, and so you end up with new numbers etc., etc. There are good watchmakers who can, and do, repair early corroded cases.

Here is an image from Bob Ridley of a corroded case that has had a new inner ring machined and installed in place.

After-Casetopview.jpg

And a final image of new threads cut into the insert for the caseback to screw back on.

Casethreadsafter.jpg

This preserved the original case for those who feel that they need this, and also makes that old case as good as new on the inside.