The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2023, 09:47 AM   #1
xtratoe74
"TRF" Member

NYC Watch Repair Recommendations

Hi.

Was on vacation for a week and had my sub with me.

Just got home and picked up my PAM 111 to wind it and felt a little ‘pop’ after one or two winds and now it just winds and winds and never starts up. Think I popped a main spring?

My 111 has an ETA base movement so it shouldn’t be a big deal to fix, right?

Anyone know a reliable watch repair place in NYC?

Also, am I nuts not sending it to Panerai? When I bought the 111 I thought the simple reliable and easily repairable caliber was a plus.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xtratoe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 09:54 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sounds like this is an easy repair as the part which broke is replaced in a full service. The winding crown has broken from the main spring. This can happen as the oils dry, and usually means the watch otherwise needs a full service.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 05:25 PM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

No reason to send a 111 to Panerai. Anybody can service that, hell I even serviced one for my boss a couple of years ago. There are a lot of good watchmakers in the city, I use Swiss Precision downtown because I live right next to it. They’re great, and prices are fair.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 06:17 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Just send to Panerai.

I followed the usual watch community advice for a eta movement Panerai, very easy to fix.. go to independents…etc

So I took it to a reputable independent watchmaker to service due to a broken main spring.

Here is what I experienced

1) It cost about the same $$$ as a factory service.

2) It still took 6 to 8 weeks

3) The watch was mechanically fixed fine, but upon returning I noticed a spec between the crystal and the case. It turned out to be the gasket. Apparently that is not a common size gasket..OEM only. Panerai doesn’t supply independent repair shops with any parts support at all. Now this is a problem. The repair shop was able to source one from a connection somewhere and fixed it. Took another 3 weeks. If he couldn’t have found the gasket, he would have had to send it to Panerai to get it resolved.

4) No PAM service paperwork or warranty which helps offset service cost by adding some resale value. I just got a receipt from a credit card machine.

So, in my opinion, I’d only go the independent route if you have a tritium dial as Panerai won’t touch those without a dial replacement, which is a disaster.

But for a Luminova ETA Panerai, just send to the Panerai service center. They will have all the right OEM parts (crowns, gaskets,crystals) and you’ll get factory warranty and paperwork.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 08:15 PM   #5
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Just send to Panerai.

I followed the usual watch community advice for a eta movement Panerai, very easy to fix.. go to independents…etc

So I took it to a reputable independent watchmaker to service due to a broken main spring.

3) The watch was mechanically fixed fine, but upon returning I noticed a spec between the crystal and the case. It turned out to be the gasket. Apparently that is not a common size gasket..OEM only. Panerai doesn’t supply independent repair shops with any parts support at all. Now this is a problem. The repair shop was able to source one from a connection somewhere and fixed it. Took another 3 weeks. If he couldn’t have found the gasket, he would have had to send it to Panerai to get it resolved.

4) No PAM service paperwork or warranty which helps offset service cost by adding some resale value. I just got a receipt from a credit card machine.

So, in my opinion, I’d only go the independent route if you have a tritium dial as Panerai won’t touch those without a dial replacement, which is a disaster.

But for a Luminova ETA Panerai, just send to the Panerai service center. They will have all the right OEM parts (crowns, gaskets,crystals) and you’ll get factory warranty and paperwork.
I completely agree. The independent will have to figure out model and part numbers etc, where as the Panerai service centre knows what is what, a guarantee in the event something is not right etc. I would never send it to anyone else but Panerai
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 03:27 AM   #6
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Just send to Panerai.

I concur with this, the money saved is probably negligible.

Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 10:06 AM   #7
xtratoe74
"TRF" Member

Update.

Decided to send to Panerai. Went to the new Madison Ave store in NYC and they sent it off to the service center in Texas.

They said 4-10 weeks but it came back in under 3.

Price was $650 (their fee for a standard service as listed on their website) and was in keeping with (and in some cases less than) what some reputable local watchmakers had given me as an estimate. No surprises.

Watch looks and runs great (opted to not have them polish it but they did an ultrasonic cleaning, apparently).

Would def go the Panerai route again then next time it needs a service.

xtratoe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 09:56 PM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Good to hear.

Rikki did mine a few years back. He is a forum favorite and also moving onto a new workshop this summer. He works on all my watches.

http://www.timecareinc.com/
Old 28 July 2023, 07:29 AM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtratoe74 View Post
Update.

Decided to send to Panerai. Went to the new Madison Ave store in NYC and they sent it off to the service center in Texas.

They said 4-10 weeks but it came back in under 3.

Price was $650 (their fee for a standard service as listed on their website) and was in keeping with (and in some cases less than) what some reputable local watchmakers had given me as an estimate. No surprises.

Watch looks and runs great (opted to not have them polish it but they did an ultrasonic cleaning, apparently).

Would def go the Panerai route again then next time it needs a service.

That was the right move. No more independents for me unless it’s tritium.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 09:43 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good deal. Sounds like you made a good choice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote