The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 11:10 AM   #31
Muxi
"TRF" Member

While I have personally not encountered a similar situation, I have noticed that I have seen varied timekeeping behavior in my watches. It may be +2 for weeks then -2 during some months. I also notice that my watches perform better when used during strenuous activities.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:01 PM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
Completely agree on your points. But I would imagine that 9 seconds off is not entirely due to the variables you mentioned, and likely a combination of those variables and being out of spec....no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well to be honest most of these accuracy timing issues in my experience of being on forum for 14 years, most have been down to testing methods others down to simple owner error when testing.Not saying this is the case but for any Rolex to be way out of spec is very very unusual. But even if it is 9 seconds its not the end of the world, as there are 86400 in a day, so little over a minute a week.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 05:28 AM   #33
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have a 3235 in my latest acquisition, and it has settled in to a consistent minus 1.5 seconds per day. When experimenting with overnight positions, I find it will lose slightly over 2 seconds per day if placed crown up or down, the best position being face up.

The 3235 seems quite consistent whatever position it is placed in, with a variance of only around half a second or so between best and worst positions.

In contrast, my newish Black Bay with the Tudor in-house movement varies a lot more between the best & worst positions, but conversely I can adjust that watch via its position such that it is currently only 3 seconds slow, having last adjusted the time 2 months ago.

I would get that one sent in.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 06:39 AM   #34
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
A watch can be regulated under warranty.

If the watch is still running slow after a couple of months, just get a Rolex-certified watchmaker to regulate it.

It will take only a few days at most.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:25 AM   #35
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Mine was gaining 10 secs a day, but after a few weeks, it went spot on. Give it a couple of weeks and then if not good, send to RSC for regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:30 AM   #36
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Do you guys know if the warranty is void in case an independent watch maker regulates a watch under warranty?
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 08:03 AM   #37
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
When I first got my new 116610LN it was running around -4 seconds per day. Now a year on, I'm getting around -1 seconds per day.

On the other hand my 2006, 14000M Rolex Airking which I bought in February has since day 1 given me +3 seconds a day.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 09:51 AM   #38
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
Do you guys know if the warranty is void in case an independent watch maker regulates a watch under warranty?
Rikki advised me to send it to the RSC for that very reason.
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 09:53 AM   #39
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
He also indicated that Rolex has a new policy for the watches sold with a five year warranty that they won’t sell the parts to independents (even those with a Rolex parts account) until the five year warranty has expired.
Old 23 November 2018, 10:07 AM   #40
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought so too. It would be awful to pay for service and void your warranty at the same time. In any case, I am sure you will be fine. I hope the watch starts running within specs in a few weeks and you don't have to get it open.
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:24 AM   #41
JadeRaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: panda boi
I set my new SD on the 1st, and today (5th) it's about 3 seconds slow, assuming my computer is giving me the atomic time correctly. Been leaving it on its side FWIW.

Was wearing a Seiko skx for a couple months before I got it which gained about a minute a day so I'm thoroughly impressed.
JadeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:24 AM   #42
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Completely unacceptable and not even close to Rolex standards. The new movement in the SD43 has consistently blown away the -2/+2 guarantee so there is no reason yours should be anywhere close to that.

I'd wear it for another week to see if it settles, then send it in for service. It will be covered. Some watches do need breaking in, like my Speedy for example which wasn't performing well new out out of the box but over a week or two it settled on a consistent +4.5-5 seconds a day. My Submariner is a consistent +2 seconds a day.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:25 AM   #43
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

yeah just to echo whats already been said 100000 times on this thread....give it a little time to see if it gets better but 9 seconds is rough, my 40 year old datejust is about +1
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 07:57 AM   #44
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

9 seconds is way off. Get it fixed.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:04 AM   #45
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
My new DJ41 (new in June 2018) has drifted to about -8 seconds per day in teh last 3 months after running near spot on (plus 10 seconds in a month) for the first three months.

Yeah, I'm bummed.

No I don't like the idea of being without it for a month.

Decisions...
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:09 AM   #46
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Quote:
I acquired a BNIB SD43 several days ago. I’ve noticed it has consistently lost about 9 seconds per day. It has been on my wrist all day each day but rests on my nightstand (crown up) while I sleep. I understand that crown up orientation generally causes the watch to slow a bit, and I haven’t yet tried face up, etc. But -9s/day seems significantly out of spec for a new watch. Seems to me I should send it to RSC for service (hopefully to be covered by warranty). Would you guys do the same? Thanks.

Edit: I will certainly try different resting positions before sending it to RSC.
It shouldnt be -9s no matter what the resting position is period.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:28 AM   #47
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Looks this old(ish) thread of mine got revived somehow. I’ll use this as an opportunity to give a brief update. I hope DavidSW (the seller) is OK with me saying this publicly on the forum, but once he learned I was having issues with the watch, he immediately offered to swap it out for another one, despite the fact that I had been wearing it daily for well over a week at the time. The reason I’m hesitant to say that is that I’m pretty sure I was way outside his normal return/exchange policy. He elected to offer that to me at his own discretion, so I don’t want to inadvertently create an expectation that he would always do that. But having done several transactions with him, both before and after the SD43 in question, I can unequivocally say that David is hands-down a great and trustworthy seller that totally stands behind what he does. He swapped out the SD43 for another new one, and the replacement has been running spot on ever since. Thanks, David!

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
Old 6 February 2019, 09:44 AM   #48
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Glad it worked out for u.

DavidSW is one of the best.

The SD43 looks great on ur wrist.

I did notice it’s a mk2 dial.
Was the first one u had mk2 as well?
Old 6 February 2019, 09:46 AM   #49
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Sadly, no. I wasn’t even aware of the Mk1/2 difference until after the swap occurred. I had to go back some old pics of the original one to answer your question. So I guess the swap was a bummer in that regard. Oh well, just glad to have a watch that’s running in spec. Here’s one of the few shots I have of the original one, which (unfortunately for me) did not have the little crown at 6.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
Old 6 February 2019, 10:31 AM   #50
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
My first Rolex was by about 11 secs/day. I paid $75 shipping and it came back perfect. It's up to the owner if they feel the cost for shipping is worth the accuracy. Glad David took care of you.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Alls well that ends well, glad you got it sorted and yes ... David is TOPS
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:55 AM   #52
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sadly, no. I wasn’t even aware of the Mk1/2 difference until after the swap occurred. I had to go back some old pics of the original one to answer your question. So I guess the swap was a bummer in that regard. Oh well, just glad to have a watch that’s running in spec. Here’s one of the few shots I have of the original one, which (unfortunately for me) did not have the little crown at 6.
Don’t be bummed. I was just curious.

It’s not an investment and I think the coronet looks great, too

No one can predict what’s gonna happen with the future value anyways.

Enjoy the awesome sd43 !!
Old 6 February 2019, 11:39 AM   #53
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
Acceptable accuracy is is up to the person, I myself am a very punctual guy and I use my watches. I set them to my iPhone clock app at the 1st of the each month and I like them to be no more than -1/+1min fast or slow per month, I do not expect Quartz accuracy but I expect them to be very close to Rolex guarantee of -2/+2sec per day. I bought three new watches over the last 3yrs, my DJ is running within -1sec a day and my Sub within +1sec per day. My GMT was running -3sec per day slow, so I took it to my local RSC, they checked it and regulated it under guarantee, now it also is running around +1sec per day.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 01:25 PM   #54
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Glad it went OK
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:24 AM   #55
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

Just letting you know that I also have an SD43 that has been running -6 to -9 seconds a day for a long time. Finally brought in to have it fixed at the AD - they say it will take a month+ to fix. Will let you know how it goes. You are not alone with your issue.....
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote