The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

216570 Polar. My story and 3 month review

Quite the long post here, so thanks to those in advance for taking the time to read!

When I first started getting into Rolex (before I owned one) I was enamoured by the 16570 Polar. The first sport mode I ever saw in person at the bay of all places (Canadian department store) in their small pre owned luxury section of the watch department in Vancouver. The price tag at the time ($4,800) made it seem impossible that is ever own one

Fast forward about 6 years, after having the opportunity to own and try many Rolexes to which I didn’t fully fall in love with and flipped, mostly at a loss. I stuck with my 116610LN (first brand new AD purchase)

I’ve owned the polar 16570 a few times, but to my dismay I’ve sold it each time because I got caught up in the “this watch isn’t the most popular, so it must not be worth keeping” mentality. I also loved the modern 6 digit pieces a little more. So they were sold.

This year I have been deciding which watch to purchase for my 30th birthday and Engagement commemoration. With the help of my parents and fiancé and myself.

A lot of you know I posted the “milgauss white dial vs exp II for 30th birthday” post

I was flip flopping between (do I purchase a brand new milgauss and start my own memories, or the explorer II I’ve always subconsciously thought about pre owned for the same budget)

I chose the milgauss. At first I liked it. It was cool, unique, not seen around often etc. But I found myself wearing it for a day and throwing it back in the safe to wear my sub. I didn’t fall in love with it (and this is something I wasn’t able to understand by just trying it on for an hour at an AD).

Anyway, fast forward to a few weeks of milgauss ownership. I couldn’t stop thinking about whether or not I made a mistake between the milgauss or explorer II. I asked my AD if they could get me the milgauss but they said about 8 months wait, which would surpass my birthday and wedding date. Whilst all of this was happening a reputable member of the Canadian forums contacted me and stated he had obtained one from a Toronto AD and decided he’d like to sell it stickers still attached because he couldn’t vibe with the 42mm. Card was X’d and unnamed. I spoke to my fiancé and parents and told them my situation, they were more than happy with me selling the milgauss to fund the explorer II. So I sold the milgauss and picked up the explorer II April 11th.

I lost $1400.00CAD on the Milgauss sale, and paid a $200CAD premium at $10700CAD for the LNIB explorer II 216570. And I couldn’t be happier with my decision, it hasn’t left my wrist since I bought it.

On to the review:

The watch IMHO is the only quintessential tool watch left in the Rolex line that hasn’t received a two tone or PM makeover as an option for the model.

Even the SD now has a two tone option.

My style is very casual, I am a full time Barber and Landlord with a few rental properties in my city. I hardly ever wear a suit unless I’m going somewhere special with the lady. This watch is the absolute perfect jeans / boots and T-shirt watch, but the polar white dial also adds a formal element that pops under a collar. I’ve picked up my sub once or twice in the past 3 months, just to swap it back with the EXP later in the day or the next day.

Size:

The 42MM at first felt a bit large, the case size feels right and comparable to the maxi cases of the 6 digit suns and GMTs, but the size of the dial makes it noticeably larger on the wrist, especially with the polar being so eye catching and bright.

Easy Link:

At first I wasn’t too fond of the fit, I couldn’t find a proper wear for the watch and it was tough to find a situation where the easy link would come in handy. The .5 link increase actually makes a massive difference in wear. Now that the heat has hit southern Ontario I couldn’t be happier with the easy links functionality. In the humidity induced wrist swell, the open position of the easy link creates the perfect fit. Usually I spend the first few hours of the day closed, and open it up as the day progresses

Dial and Hands:

The white on this dial combined with the black surrounds of the lume plot and hands make this one of the easiest watches to read that I’ve ever owned. It has unbeatable contrast and the orange GMT hand coupled with EXPLORER II text just adds that perfect amount of colour that pushes this watch over the edge of being a plain, ubiquitous design. Love how the orange is a subtle homage to the 1655. (Side note: I live in Toronto and my fiancé is a Vancouver native, we met when I was living there for a short while, which is why I felt the GMT would be a clever commemoration since we go back and forth from pacific to EST every few weeks)

Bracelet:

The bracelet is as sturdy and robust as the rest of the 6 digit Rolex line, the only issue I’ve found with the bracelet is that it has an uncommon 21mm end link size. I like throwing the watch on a NATO when I’m doing something where I know I’m gonna be more active with it. A lot of brands I like do not make a 21mm NATO. (PHOENIX being my favourite NATO brand only designs a 18, 20, 22 and 24 I believe). So the best option is to essentially squeeze a 22mm between the lugs

That pretty much sums up what stood out about the watch the past 3 months. Absolutely love it. Tbh, if I ever needed to pass up one of the two in my collection for any reason, sentimental reasons aside I would probably let go of the sub.

Here are some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 02:02 PM   #2
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Dude, you got BBQ sauce all over your shirt.

But that Polar sure is pretty!
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
Dude, you got BBQ sauce all over your shirt.

But that Polar sure is pretty!

Hahahahaha. That’s actually the dark red stitch pattern in the shirt believe it or not.

Old 8 July 2019, 02:11 PM   #4
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Just curious, what’s your wrist size? Looks good on you — and the arm tats make it pop even more.
Old 8 July 2019, 02:13 PM   #5
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
Great story

I really wanted to keep my Ex 2 (black dial)

Seemed like the perfect watch, though I always knew it was too big (7" wrist)

The 1655 seems like my grail, but it's not a gmt - thats a whole 'other story...

Anyway, the Ex 2 was always too heavy on my wrist. for part of the day it would fit right, I wouldn't notice, but if I sweat and it slid down toward the wrist bone - totally uncomfortable.

I had to be honest w/ myself and flip it. The perfect watch can't be uncomfortable.

Now I rock a 36mm DJ and I don't have that issue anymore.

I hope your Ex 2 isn't uncomfortable or too heavy for you, though I still wish they'd bring the size back down to a 40 or 39 or call me crazy but 38

Enjoy, buddy
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 02:18 PM   #6
briweed
"TRF" Member

I like the Polar! Wear it in good health.

B
116710LN "M" / 116680 "Random"
114060 "Random" / 116610LV "Random"
briweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 02:25 PM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Dang, those are some great pictures OP.

Congrats on finding the one you love
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Just curious, what’s your wrist size? Looks good on you — and the arm tats make it pop even more.

7.25 inch wrist!

Old 8 July 2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerTime View Post
Great story

I really wanted to keep my Ex 2 (black dial)

Seemed like the perfect watch, though I always knew it was too big (7" wrist)

The 1655 seems like my grail, but it's not a gmt - thats a whole 'other story...

Anyway, the Ex 2 was always too heavy on my wrist. for part of the day it would fit right, I wouldn't notice, but if I sweat and it slid down toward the wrist bone - totally uncomfortable.

I had to be honest w/ myself and flip it. The perfect watch can't be uncomfortable.

Now I rock a 36mm DJ and I don't have that issue anymore.

I hope your Ex 2 isn't uncomfortable or too heavy for you, though I still wish they'd bring the size back down to a 40 or 39 or call me crazy but 38

Enjoy, buddy

Definitely took a while to get used to but after a few days of tinkering with links and wearing it I barely even feel like it’s on sometimes! My wrist is 7.25 inches and I feel like it fits just right with the 42

Old 8 July 2019, 02:49 PM   #10
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Great story, sir. Congrats on both the engagement and the wonderful polar explorer!
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:17 PM   #11
maxymax
"TRF" Member

OP, great review & wrist shots! Good luck!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:21 PM   #12
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Awesome story and thanks for sharing about not only your thoughts of the watch, but how you acquired it.

I have always been a fan of the Explorer II Polar and often find myself looking at Instagram shots of this beauty. I would love to see one in person but due to this craziness we are in, my AD usually has it sold before I can get around to seeing it.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 05:11 PM   #13
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

great review and you make the watch look great.

Thanks for posting
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks everyone for reading

Old 8 July 2019, 10:57 PM   #15
bigcarbs
"TRF" Member

Also curious on wrist size. I keep debating this piece. Tried it on years ago and loved it. Now that I’m interested I can’t find it anywhere to look at it again
bigcarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #16
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Looks mint buddy ... especially works with your attire

So many times thought about getting one .. my first Rolex was the 5 digit version
Old 9 July 2019, 10:45 AM   #17
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Awesome review! Great pics!
Old 9 July 2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Very nice review.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 10:54 AM   #19
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Chloe&Harley
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss white
Great Thread and pictures . fantastic ink
Chloe&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 11:23 AM   #21
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks again everyone! Appreciate the responses. Dropped it off at RSC today to get the case back engraved with my initials and this years date. Since this is a commemorative wedding and 30th bday piece (both in 2019) it’ll be with me for the long haul. Will update with pics once complete.

Old 9 July 2019, 11:35 AM   #22
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Great review and post OP!

I think you have an outstanding combination there and love the straps too!!
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 11:47 AM   #23
jonny deacon
"TRF" Member

Polar 42 one of my favorites, glad you are enjoying as well sir

looks great on that grey NATO and kudos for the Iron Rangers
jonny deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:00 PM   #24
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Congrats on finding the right one and on all the milestones!

Great review...that’s one I have yet to own, but really admire. Such a great watch. Enjoy it.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:02 PM   #25
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

That Polar looks awesome against all that ink. Great choice and happy you got what you wanted in the end!

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:15 PM   #26
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
If I didn’t love my BLNR, that would be my watch. Great pictures. Wear what you love. Forget the other’s opinions. Awesome watch and photos.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:21 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice watch and great ink
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:54 PM   #28
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Love it, OP. I'm glad things worked out for you. Sometimes you need to take the hit to realize it's what you really want. That way, you never "what if".

I love everything about the 6-digit ExII, except the size. At 6.25, my wrist just can't swing it. However, I can swing a 34mm OP, so there is that blessing!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:58 PM   #29
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Really happy for you that you've found a keeper bro, congrats. Great write up and great pictures. And congrats on the upcoming wedding as well. Now that you've decided on your future wife and a keeper watch, the rest of life will be a breeze ha.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:15 PM   #30
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Great story and pics. Looks perfect.

The 42mm Polar Explorer II was the watch that got me hooked on Rolex. Ironically in my 10 or so Rolexes I've never owned the polar. The black Explorer II is the watch I've had and worn the most by far. Everything else comes and goes. I'm hoping my new Pepsi sticks around, but if this doesn't make the cut I'm going to quit fighting it and add the polar and be a black and white Explorer II man.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote