The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2021, 11:21 PM   #1
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Peak Hype

Maybe it is just me but it is starting to feel like we have reached peak hype with Rolex. I mean how many steering wheel shots with Pepsi's and Daytona's do we need, almost feels tacky at this point. Just my .02 but sure feels like the luster is wearing thin.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 11:46 PM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Makes not one bit of difference to me whether they’re hyped or not I just love watches :)
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 11:54 PM   #3
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

There may be other sites where hype is the name of the game. TRF feels as if it's a community of folks who love watches, especially Rolex, and are interested in all facets of the brand, including hype. It's a big tent, there's room for all. You have choices, and I will sometimes skip the bits that interest me less, but for the most part, I find TRF to be the best forum there is for the brand. YMMV

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 12:08 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Maybe it is just me but it is starting to feel like we have reached peak hype with Rolex. I mean how many steering wheel shots with Pepsi's and Daytona's do we need, almost feels tacky at this point. Just my .02 but sure feels like the luster is wearing thin.
Well today many buy Rolex watches to wear the hype, but although a great chronograph movement watches like the Daytona must be the biggest over hyped Rolex today ever, but hype sells watches today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 12:54 AM   #5
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Maybe. But time and time again the “peak” rises so I doubt it. Kinda like the stock market. It has its ups and downs but if you zoom out, it’s trending upwards.
Seddyspaghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 01:50 AM   #6
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

With so much available capital, it's hard to see the market correcting substantially. When the next economic downturn arrives, the market for luxury goods will soften
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 01:58 AM   #7
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I've been looking for a YUGO GV Sport for a proper Daytona wrist selfie
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 02:17 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
I've been looking for a YUGO GV Sport for a proper Daytona wrist selfie

Might be easier finding a Skoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 02:19 AM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember in the early aughts finally deciding to buy a Marine Nationale (French Navy issue) blue Tudor sub with decommission papers which were around 3k at the time. Next one I saw was 3600!

I was way too smart to pay that! I'll just wait until it drops back down...still waiting. They are fairly deep into 5 figures now. Hype? lol.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 02:29 AM   #10
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
The world is only just waking up now to how ridiculously cheap Rolex watches are.

The hype train hasn’t even left the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:05 AM   #11
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
When we get out of this pandemic and economy is firing on all cylinders, Rolex prices will reach new highs.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:06 AM   #12
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:

I feel a few years ago the forum was full of watch lovers but last few years it has become about the posturing, the value, the look at me. Bit of a turn off tbh.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:10 AM   #13
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Peak hype threads have been going on for years.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:16 AM   #14
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm so sorry that you are frustrated, and I regret to see that a few years have passed and you still have not been able to acquire the Pepsi or a Daytona at msrp. At least you are able to enjoy your blnr.

I know you are waiting and hoping that things will change, but it's been like this for quite some time now. It's The New normal. Don't let it ruin the hobby for you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:17 AM   #15
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
I feel a few years ago the forum was full of watch lovers but last few years it has become about the posturing, the value, the look at me. Bit of a turn off tbh.

I’m not sure I’ve see that on this forum for the most part… The vast majority of posters/incomings are watch enthusiasts not Instagram flexers..IMO
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:21 AM   #16
KillaCam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I love the brand and the history as much as the next guy, but I wouldn’t rock one if I won it in a raffle. Over saturation just isn't for me.
KillaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:26 AM   #17
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
I love the brand and the history as much as the next guy, but I wouldn’t rock one if I won it in a raffle. Over saturation just isn't for me.
Holy Moly... When it's repping time I get on extra grind....ggg ggg get em girl.

Killa's lyrics in that song remind me of your post.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:29 AM   #18
CAWatchLove
Banned

I believe we are just getting warmed up.
Think about the last 18 months:
1.) More social media and YouTube channels hyping and showcasing the hobby, this will only grow hype exponentially.
2.) Brands recognizing how supply suffocation or in Rolex case “strategic supply” protects and increases the longevity of the brand and helps push other less desirables in the brand.
3.) Fast wealth, young wealth, and diversification of wealth (Bitcoin, COVID stock booms, assets like watches)

All of the above have been huge factors in the watch market boom and brands know it and will leverage it by controlling supply and make sure demand is ALWAYS far greater than supply. It’s a long term play with these brands, the longevity of brands.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:29 AM   #19
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
With Covid closing the factories and interrupting supply chain momentum, and the geo political forces at work that may also influence supply chain, Rolex inventory is low and the hype will cause even more desire because the average person isn't aware of the workforce and supply chain issues. They just believe it is impossible for the average person to get Rolex so the hype escalates. Also too much cash out there today so the price is irrelevant to many who buy on the secondary market. So the hype continues.
Old 15 August 2021, 03:31 AM   #20
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Who knows? Social media drives a lot of it and is fickle, so maybe. On the other hand, in the past year a lot of new folks have reached a financial position where they could buy a Rolex, plus as several large nations continue to further develop/industrialize, demand for Rolex could also get bigger.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:01 AM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah *without* COVID financial injection I thought it was going to be last year, but all this free money prolonged it a bit.

You’re 100% right though, it’s pretty saturated. Some of my trendy friends are slowly starting to trickle out as it’s coming across monotonous to flaunt on IG what’s already been posted 193838329 times before at this point. Good stuff, can’t wait

*with that being said* who knows though. Rolex could completely change their business model at this point to where even if demand drops off a cliff over the next 3 years, they cut production so it seems the same. We’ll see.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:08 AM   #22
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Not unless the Federal Reserve raise interest rates
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:12 AM   #23
gastown604
"TRF" Member

We had stock market analyst.

Now we have Rolex market analyst too?
gastown604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:32 AM   #24
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sounds like you are burning out. Taking a break could be healthy.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:33 AM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have said it here before. I had a 10 year old in the office that looked at my wrist and yelled out woah, is that a Rolex. So yeah I think we are nearing peak hype. While I like watches too, I’m not a Rolex guy per se. But had not been for the history of my 16610 (gifted to me 23 years ago by my now deceased mother, worn on my wedding day) I have to say I don’t think I would even consider Rolex at this point. The hype is a turn off and really to most these days about $$$ or showing off connections. It’s not a good look for Rolex and just getting equated with run away capitalism and with the daily gray market price increases just a symbol of the ever increasing chasm between the haves and have nots.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:39 AM   #26
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post

Definitely. Now please enjoy some images of my new expensive German car while I flex my money. (Oh and sorry about this but there is a bit of my Rolex showing up in the picture, but that is not intentional).
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:40 AM   #27
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I actually took a break from watches after over a decade because of the Rolex BS.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:52 AM   #28
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
People tend to come here and post photos of their watches to get the gratuitous 'pats on the back.'
It seems to be about ego's, showing off and bragging, AFAIAC.
Which I do not do and never will. I am here for other reasons.
But to each their own; it's called "freedom."

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:10 AM   #29
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Only gonna go up… it’s a real asset class amongst celebrities. Also think of this. What else can you go and spend 50,000 on that has an immediate resale value the sale the same if not more. It’s a nice thing to spend on… very little chance of buyer remorse that actually loses you $$$
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:28 AM   #30
One&done
"TRF" Member

I like looking at photos of nice watches and don’t waste mental energy trying to divine the motivation of the poster.
One&done is offline   Reply With Quote