The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #1
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
What MK is this Sub Insert?

I bought a parts lot recently and this insert was in it. Is this an MK1 insert?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3763.jpg (90.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 54361141167__07174DA3-80C3-4FB8-B99F-8672D29D37F3.jpg (80.0 KB, 86 views)
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Mk1/mk3. Call it whatever you want. It is basically the same as it just depends on how worn the printing pad was when it was produced. If you really need to know what to call it; see if 40 ”kisses” or not. If yes; call it mk1. If not; mk3. To me it looks like a small gap so mk3.
Old 25 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Mk1/mk3. Call it whatever you want. It is basically the same as it just depends on how worn the printing pad was when it was produced. If you really need to know what to call it; see if 40 ”kisses” or not. If yes; call it mk1. If not; mk3. To me it looks like a small gap so mk3.
Thanks! To the naked eye it appears to touch but with a loupe it appears to have a slight gap. The classification get confusing as I see several different fonts being called MK3.

I did reference VRF and VintageHour but not all the classifications are consistent.

Thanks again!

Old 25 March 2018, 07:44 AM   #4
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Thanks! To the naked eye it appears to touch but with a loupe it appears to have a slight gap. The classification get confusing as I see several different fonts being called MK3.

I did reference VRF and VintageHour but not all the classifications are consistent.

Thanks again!

it's an age old debate. For a long time kissing 40's were considered mk1 and older of an insert compared to a mk3. But over the past couple years, many collectors have realized that any insert with a kissing 40 isn't older, it's actually more recent and the bleeding of the numbers is caused from the pads on the printer being worn over several prints.

So in reality, a mk3 insert with thinner numbers is actually older than an insert with thicker bleeding numbers.

But on the flip side, regardless to this conclusion, kissing 40's still remain high in value because at the end of the day, they are less common. hope that clarifies
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:05 AM   #5
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
it's an age old debate. For a long time kissing 40's were considered mk1 and older of an insert compared to a mk3. But over the past couple years, many collectors have realized that any insert with a kissing 40 isn't older, it's actually more recent and the bleeding of the numbers is caused from the pads on the printer being worn over several prints.

So in reality, a mk3 insert with thinner numbers is actually older than an insert with thicker bleeding numbers.

But on the flip side, regardless to this conclusion, kissing 40's still remain high in value because at the end of the day, they are less common. hope that clarifies
Makes perfect sense and is consistent with some of the posts I read on VRF. Where I am still confused is the classifications of MK3 inserts. There are several different MK3 types as not all have serifs and some of the fonts are different from what I can tell.
I have seen them referred to as MK 3.1, 3.2 etc but can't find the reference.

Thanks!