The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 05:32 AM   #1
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Rolex uk seem to have introduced even more rules......part 2

I got into a discussion with my AD re my situation, I'm trying to get my name on a list (or two) for a new model, the ss GMT to be specific... (Aren't we all...)

There's no devious intention in my actions, its just hedging my bets, or doubling my chances... Had I of wanted a rarified 1980s cabbage patch doll, back in the day, I'd have done the same thing...

Bearing in mind what you may remember happened to me (in "part 1" - of a similarly titled thread), with my Daytona procurement being scuppered... I'd come to the top of the list for the white Daytona 116500ln, but l was ultimately disapproved for purchase by head office - because I'd been successful elsewhere (rolex records) with the other coloured dial variant.

I thought I'd try to get my head around these "policies" so that I didn't get "black balled" again. Basically if I know the rules I can play by them! Otherwise its all a little naive and potentially you can fall prey to a system you have no way of understanding... After all, when you go to a rolex dealer, you get a coffee - not a rule book, right!?

The last thread went to prove I'm not a trader, and I also had the indignation of having to "convince" my AD similarly... With everyone in agreement of this fact, I proceeded :

The question - am I allowed to put my name in "your" list, if I'm on "their" list?

The answer : copied (so as to be able to fully understand it), from an email, to watches of Switzerland etc, (Arum group) UK., below:

"Demand for Rolex is at unprecedented levels across all markets globally, with our professional and other sought after models seeing particularly high demand.
Unfortunately there are a large number of people in the market place pretending to be clients, who are either traders themselves, or who are looking to make a profit from selling on watches purchased from Aurum stores and many others. We all have an obligation to protect the Rolex brand and the relationship we have with Rolex.

Over the coming weeks we will be introducing a number of measures to limit our exposure to this type of activity. In the next few weeks we will be introducing a new process where the Rolex guarantee is not issued to the client at time of purchase. Full details of how this will be managed will be confirmed and released in April.

In the meantime, the information below relates to the new policy in relation to ‘Registration of Interest’ for high demand Rolex watches. This policy is to be implemented with immediate effect.

Ongoing all stores must use the “Wish List” element of Captivate to manage their Register of Interest. When a client makes an enquiry about a high demand Rolex that has a register of interest, you need to follow the process outlined below.
You can only place a client on the Register of Interest if they are present in your store. We will no longer accept enquiries via telephone or email.
Every client wishing to be entered onto the Register of Interest will need to have a record on Captivate. If they do not have one you will need to create it with them.
You can add a client to your register by using the ‘Wish Lists’ feature on Captivate.
Before you add the client to the Register you need to advise them that adding their name to the Register does not guarantee a timeline to supply the item, or indeed that we will be able to supply the item at all. This is a Register of Interest, NOT a waiting list.

You will also need to ask them if they have their name on any other Registers in our Group as they cannot be on more than one Register. Regular reports will be run to highlight clients on multiple Registers – it is possible that we would remove them completely from all Registers if this is the case.

When discussing the Register of Interest it is important that you inform the client that we will retain the guarantee, issuing it to them no later than 12 months after the date purchase. We will issue a photocopy of the guarantee for their records at the time of purchase. We want to ensure that our sought after Rolex pieces go to genuine customers ahead of those purchasing for commercial gain and experience has taught us that such customers are happy with this arrangement.

When discussing the Register of Interest it is also important that you inform the client that we will remove all of the protection from the watch before the purchase is completed.
While you are adding the client to the Register it is the perfect time to find out more about them so that you can gauge whether or not they are likely to be a trader.
High Demand Rolex pieces will still be allocated on rotation. When your store receives a high demand watch the Wish List can be used to determine who is the appropriate client to allocate to the watch to. Stores should consider all factors including previous purchase history when selecting the relevant client.

Important

Stores that have not been using the Wish List element of Captivate will need to transfer all of their captured information. This will both ensure that Captivate contains all the relevant information and will also help us comply with future GDPR requirements. Please ensure that this is completed by Sunday 8th April.

So these, policies, seem in the making still, and will need further confirmation, which I'll share if I'm able to get it in due course. But for now, perhaps, the honest collectors and yes by default, the traders, might understand more, the game that; "buying a watch" has become...

Suffice to say... I'm only on one list now! And feel that, has doubled my chances. The irony!
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:37 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Good Grief!
Old 25 March 2018, 05:41 AM   #3
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
I got into a discussion with my AD re my situation, I'm trying to get my name on a list (or two) for a new model, the ss GMT to be specific... (Aren't we all...)

There's no devious intention in my actions, its just hedging my bets, or doubling my chances... Had I of wanted a rarified 1980s cabbage patch doll, back in the day, I'd have done the same thing...

Bearing in mind what you may remember happened to me (in "part 1" - of a similarly titled thread), with my Daytona procurement being scuppered... I'd come to the top of the list for the white Daytona 116500ln, but l was ultimately disapproved for purchase by head office - because I'd been successful elsewhere (rolex records) with the other coloured dial variant.

I thought I'd try to get my head around these "policies" so that I didn't get "black balled" again. Basically if I know the rules I can play by them! Otherwise its all a little naive and potentially you can fall prey to a system you have no way of understanding... After all, when you go to a rolex dealer, you get a coffee - not a rule book, right!?

The last thread went to prove I'm not a trader, and I also had the indignation of having to "convince" my AD similarly... With everyone in agreement of this fact, I proceeded :

The question - am I allowed to put my name in "your" list, if I'm on "their" list?

The answer : copied (so as to be able to fully understand it), from an email, to watches of Switzerland etc, (Arum group) UK., below:

"Demand for Rolex is at unprecedented levels across all markets globally, with our professional and other sought after models seeing particularly high demand.
Unfortunately there are a large number of people in the market place pretending to be clients, who are either traders themselves, or who are looking to make a profit from selling on watches purchased from Aurum stores and many others. We all have an obligation to protect the Rolex brand and the relationship we have with Rolex.

Over the coming weeks we will be introducing a number of measures to limit our exposure to this type of activity. In the next few weeks we will be introducing a new process where the Rolex guarantee is not issued to the client at time of purchase. Full details of how this will be managed will be confirmed and released in April.

In the meantime, the information below relates to the new policy in relation to ‘Registration of Interest’ for high demand Rolex watches. This policy is to be implemented with immediate effect.

Ongoing all stores must use the “Wish List” element of Captivate to manage their Register of Interest. When a client makes an enquiry about a high demand Rolex that has a register of interest, you need to follow the process outlined below.
You can only place a client on the Register of Interest if they are present in your store. We will no longer accept enquiries via telephone or email.
Every client wishing to be entered onto the Register of Interest will need to have a record on Captivate. If they do not have one you will need to create it with them.
You can add a client to your register by using the ‘Wish Lists’ feature on Captivate.
Before you add the client to the Register you need to advise them that adding their name to the Register does not guarantee a timeline to supply the item, or indeed that we will be able to supply the item at all. This is a Register of Interest, NOT a waiting list.

You will also need to ask them if they have their name on any other Registers in our Group as they cannot be on more than one Register. Regular reports will be run to highlight clients on multiple Registers – it is possible that we would remove them completely from all Registers if this is the case.

When discussing the Register of Interest it is important that you inform the client that we will retain the guarantee, issuing it to them no later than 12 months after the date purchase. We will issue a photocopy of the guarantee for their records at the time of purchase. We want to ensure that our sought after Rolex pieces go to genuine customers ahead of those purchasing for commercial gain and experience has taught us that such customers are happy with this arrangement.

When discussing the Register of Interest it is also important that you inform the client that we will remove all of the protection from the watch before the purchase is completed.
While you are adding the client to the Register it is the perfect time to find out more about them so that you can gauge whether or not they are likely to be a trader.
High Demand Rolex pieces will still be allocated on rotation. When your store receives a high demand watch the Wish List can be used to determine who is the appropriate client to allocate to the watch to. Stores should consider all factors including previous purchase history when selecting the relevant client.

Important

Stores that have not been using the Wish List element of Captivate will need to transfer all of their captured information. This will both ensure that Captivate contains all the relevant information and will also help us comply with future GDPR requirements. Please ensure that this is completed by Sunday 8th April.

So these, policies, seem in the making still, and will need further confirmation, which I'll share if I'm able to get it in due course. But for now, perhaps, the honest collectors and yes by default, the traders, might understand more, the game that; "buying a watch" has become...

Suffice to say... I'm only on one list now! And feel that, has doubled my chances. The irony!
I'm honestly all for this. I buy to wear, not flip. I stand by Rolex implementing measures to protect the brand and its products.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

Important

Listen to Cousin Avi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0786.JPG (39.8 KB, 1815 views)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
I'm honestly all for this. I buy to wear, not flip. I stand by Rolex implementing measures to protect the brand and its products.

Rolex isn’t implementing any measures. Aurum group is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:26 AM   #6
Tanner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Listen to Cousin Avi.
hahahah

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 06:58 AM   #7
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
What's the deal with the UK these days, London for that matter. I hear you can't even get a ham sandwich in that city anymore.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:06 AM   #8
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This makes total sense to me. Rolex wants to protect their brand, which means having some control over their pricing. By better ensuring watches go to actual customers, rather than greys, they can keep a much better handle on optimizing supply for (or just under) demand. Once the inventory is all grey, then they lose control: in a hyped market like today, the watches are selling for way over MSRP. In a slow market, which I think they see coming, watches get dumped at big discounts. Neither scenario is going to be good for the brand from Rolex's perspective. Smart policies, imho, albeit frustrating sometimes for legit buyers, who get treated a bit like they are all potential grey dealers.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:23 AM   #9
OgSnowflake
Banned

That is nothing shy of an absoloute nightmare... hey guys my 2 week old watch is running 37 seconds slow per minute I think it needs to be regulated so I’m gonna drop it off at rolex can I get my warranty card?...no we can send it in for u ..wouldn’t ya know I’m gonna be walking by Rsc uk today at lunch I’ll just bring it in myself can I have my warranty card?....No, but I can offer u a Diet Coke and invite you to take a look at some of our new 2 tone datejust models..... Sounds fair.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Mozzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR & 114060
It’s going to push up the prices of pre owned pieces more
If you can’t get on a list
It’s bad enough now in the uk
Maybe lie detector tests are the way forward
If you pass the test you can buy the watch
Omega speedmaster professional
TAG Heuer Monaco
Mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:46 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Not going against what you’ve been told but I’ve had both dial variants from the same branch of Goldsmiths which is part of Aurum and both times fully stickered snd still in the coffins.

But I have been made aware moving forward they are withholding warranty cards for certain models for 12 months and have done away with wait lists you submit your interest and that’s it’s, they supply when they see fit!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:46 AM   #12
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
What's the deal with the UK these days, London for that matter. I hear you can't even get a ham sandwich in that city anymore.
Some parts of the UK you are not even allowed to ASK for a ham sandwich, and yes, i am not kidding.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:48 AM   #13
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
My AD told me that they don’t give a tax-refund anymore on popular Rolex models as measure to satisfy local customers demand
Old 25 March 2018, 07:50 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo74 View Post

Nope we've had another official letter where Rolex directed Goldsmiths to implement this, ADs don't care who buys their watches, only Rolex does to preserve the brand name.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:53 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Richest city in the world, a tax haven and playground for billionaires now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:59 AM   #16
dmash
"TRF" Member

I’d be ok with this in every market. I’ve purchased plenty of used watches at discount to make a little profit for myself, however I’ve never once purchased a piece at MSRP to sell for profit.

I think no way this would work worldwide though. Some ADs only stay in business because of their grey market buyers. Only way I see this being implemented is if Rolex goes full on, boutiques everywhere...
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:02 AM   #17
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Listen to Cousin Avi.
Lol
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:05 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thats something like 70% of the UK Rolex market and includes Watches of Switzerland, Mappin & Webb, and Goldsmiths... as well as some stand alone mono brand Rolex boutiques.

Rolex is behind the pressure on the AD's for sure and that is well established.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its been building for a while. Thanks for the further data point and clarification OP

No one outside the UK will believe you anyway, but we do

The situation cant get worse here, its just not possible. If this actually helps, then so be it. I want watches, not warranty cards or stickers.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 March 2018, 08:09 AM   #20
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Could it possibly get any more complex?!
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:13 AM   #21
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Its high time Rolex implemented a proper ordering procedure with themselves at the factory. They could then allocate you’re desired reference to an AD of your choosing for collection when it’s ready. This way you get to track your order directly with Rolex and know you’re not being cue barged in the process. Rolex can then also implement a one reference only per customer for those watches in high demand.
Allowing any dealer to decide on their merit whether you are worthy of being granted the watch is a TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE way of doing business and treating your customers.
Genuine customers are now being inconvenienced and treated like dirt because of the grey market, and reading the above demonstrates that Rolex is passing the problem onto the consumer rather than offering a suitable solution themselves. It’s utter BS!
I’ve just ordered a new VW to my own spec. Through the VW app I can see exactly where in the order/build/shipping process my new car is. If I had to be vetted to buy the thing in the first place by the dealership I’d have walked and spent my money elsewhere, and I certainly wouldn’t be going to a back street garage to buy the same car for above MRSP. So why should I do the same for a Rolex? Answer....I won’t!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:48 AM   #22
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't think that's the deal,

CEOs don't fire the canteen staff for cold beans, they get the chef to do that
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 09:00 AM   #23
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Said letter from Rolex
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 09:09 AM   #24
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats something like 70% of the UK Rolex market and includes Watches of Switzerland, Mappin & Webb, and Goldsmiths... as well as some stand alone mono brand Rolex boutiques.

Rolex is behind the pressure on the AD's for sure and that is well established.

Thats Rolex UK in that case, not Rolex SA in Geneva... Big difference.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 09:10 AM   #25
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Said letter from Rolex
Rolex UK.... this is a UK thing, essentially.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 09:12 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
Thats Rolex UK in that case, not Rolex SA in Geneva... Big difference.
not really... now we are dealing with Rolex, not independent AD's. Rolex is Rolex and its not like Rolex UK is making up their own rules as they go with no input from the mothership. There is a reporting structure back to switzerland.
Old 25 March 2018, 09:19 AM   #27
bp1000
"TRF" Member

All for walk ins list allocation

And guarantee card withholding...

As for favouritism due to purchase history, shove it. Disgusting. The kind of short sighted mindless drivel frequented by certain evil dictators past and indeed present
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 09:20 AM   #28
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Said letter from Rolex
So it is, indeed, from Rolex (UK in this case, but Rolex nonetheless). Thank you for sharing

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 10:03 AM   #29
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Retaining guaruntee cards and removing stickers is not an adequate solution to Rolex' Grey dealer problem.
Rolex are fooling themselves if they don't think they are becoming victims of their own success unless they implement a more robust solution to the initial sale and distribution of their watches.
The current arrangement is needlessly alienating their loyal customers to a degree and making Rolex appear arrogant which is ultimately damaging to the brand overall.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 10:18 AM   #30
Bigblu10
Banned

No offense to all in the UK but I hope this type of nonsense doesn't spread across the pond to here in the US. But then again, you never know...
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote