The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 February 2018, 05:10 PM   #1
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Pro VS. FOIS

Before I get into it, I know there have been multiple threads on this comparison. My reasoning may be a little different.. Originally I wanted a Speedmaster Professional as my one and only watch, but ended up buying an 114060 Submariner. I want to add a second watch just to switch things up and a Speedmaster is likely going to happen as a 30th birthday gift to myself. I feel like the First Omega In Space can dress up a little more easily than the Pro. Whichever I choose will be on a leather strap, I'll probably end up with a black and brown strap as well as either a nato or canvas/fabric option to dress it down.

Does anyone have any reason I should choose the professional over the fois, other than the "classic/hesalite" angle? Keep in mind, I want something that compliments my Sub, and it will 100% be on leather (reason I didn't buy the speedmaster pro in the first place was that I couldn't get a proper fit with the limited adjustment on the bracelet) and this will be my dressier piece. Not concerned about resale as this will likely be a 2 watch collection for at least a year or two.

Thanks in advance.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 05:14 PM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
If on leather 100% of the time then I choose FIOS. That watch is perfect looking on a leather strap and can be worn casual and dressy. If you were gonna wear the bracelet sometimes then the pro. You can't really go wrong between the two.
Old 27 February 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS White
IMO, the FOIS is a bit more dressy with the slimmer lugs.
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 08:49 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
No shame in going with the FOIS! It's dressier, and if that's your aim, then it sounds like a great choice. Your two watches will make up what I believe may be the perfect two-piece collection :-)
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:41 AM   #5
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Both nice watches but a 42mm speedmaster wears much smaller than other 42s and the 40mm FOIS is even smaller. It’s all what you prefer in the end but something to consider
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 01:09 AM   #6
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I think the FOIS is the perfect choice for your purpose.

Having a Sub and a Speedmaster is the greatest 2-piece collection.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 01:16 AM   #7
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I think the FOIS is the perfect choice for your purpose.

Having a Sub and a Speedmaster is the greatest 2-piece collection.
I concur, I prefer the FOIS as it has no crown guards & it’s easier for my fat fingers to wind!
Old 28 February 2018, 01:19 AM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I was in a similar position and went w Speedy Pro. I prefer the hesalite and the hands and better legibility. I wore it on bracelet for the first 3 days I’ve had it and it’s been on straps ever since. I don’t think one compliments a sub more than the other. Also I think FOIS uses a 19mm strap so options are more limited if you are into changing straps like I am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 01:26 AM   #9
HSTexan
"TRF" Member

I love the case and size of the FOIS, but dislike the handset and mismatched subdial hands. Pro is a fantastic watch, but bigger than I prefer. It's a tough call, but for your situation I'd probably go FOIS.
HSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:36 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
As a dressy watch, I suspect the FOIS may be marginally the better choice given it’s vintage vibe.

They should both be available at most boutiques and AD’s. Pop along and try them on for the definitive answer.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 05:12 AM   #11
Rb10chris
"TRF" Member

I originally preferred the FOIS due to the case size, but slowly started to like the speedy pro more due to the hands, and lugs as others have mentioned here.
Rb10chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 05:18 AM   #12
artschool
"TRF" Member

I have a 114060 and was faced with the same choice of speedy.

I went with the professional and bought a leather strap! best of both worlds.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 05:44 AM   #13
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I've been itching to pull the trigger on a Speedy to keep for a while now, and I keep going back and forth between these two, including perhaps an older Speedmaster with the tritium dial or the 3572.50 with the see-through caseback. I still can't decide.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 06:32 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I don't know there is much of a difference between which is dressier when you put both on a leather strap.....I guess perhaps the crown guards make the professional a little more tool like you could argue.....but for me it really comes down to how you take to the sapphire crystal/alpha hands.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 07:05 AM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like size of fois with lugs of pro
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 08:44 AM   #16
7Kenhinho
Banned

Watch: Datejust
It might depend on your wrist size. But if you're dead set on a strap then FOIS is the way to go.
7Kenhinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:43 AM   #17
spndx
Banned

Watch: AP/Rolex
FOIS has a much better size and a great choice.
spndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:14 AM   #18
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Personally I don't know there is much of a difference between which is dressier when you put both on a leather strap.....I guess perhaps the crown guards make the professional a little more tool like you could argue.....but for me it really comes down to how you take to the sapphire crystal/alpha hands.
I agree. Also, I really dig the more pronounced twist and taper in the lugs of the Speedmaster Pro. The shapes and contrasting finishes are more intriguing, I think.
Old 28 February 2018, 12:33 PM   #19
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

I'd choose the FOIS, for all the reasons you mentioned.

But since you asked for reasons against it... This is all I can come up with:

The legibility of the FOIS isn't as good as the pro. Those beautiful vintage hands catch the light well most of the time, but when they don't, they really don't. In some light the hands disappear, which can be a bummer.

The FOIS is (to me) significantly daintier on the wrist in terms of weight. The leather strap, the slimmer lugs, and the lack of crown guards all add up to a surprisingly light watch. Could be good or bad, depending on your taste.

The goodies (box and accessories) on the pro are super impressive right now, and the FOIS, less so. Not really important, but it's a difference. Heh.

Again, for me, if buying new, FOIS is the winner every time. I'd never buy a new pro. If I want the heritage of that watch, I'll buy one with some "extra heritage" that's actually been around a few years, maybe even with some age on the lume and some mileage on the case!

Enjoy your choice, regardless!
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:49 PM   #20
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
This.........

And I believe Mosco has a LNIB one in the classifieds for $3900. Can’t go wrong. This watch is awesome in spite of the sapphire glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:54 PM   #21
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great responses. I think I will go with the FOIS and buy a black croc style leather strap to switch it up. Does anyone have any straps they can recommend for this watch? I understand the only real drawback here is the 19mm size but I did see some Hirsch options that looked interesting.
Old 7 March 2018, 03:00 PM   #22
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Size wise, they look like this and very little difference.

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 05:38 AM   #23
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
Thanks for all the great responses. I think I will go with the FOIS and buy a black croc style leather strap to switch it up. Does anyone have any straps they can recommend for this watch? I understand the only real drawback here is the 19mm size but I did see some Hirsch options that looked interesting.
The blue variant (CK2998) like the one shown in Fred's post directly above comes on a blue croc strap that's 19mm tapering to 16mm, and I think those proportions are just right for the FOIS. I would go with the Hirsch London, which is available in matte black Alligator and 19mm x 16mm. It's ~$250 directly from Hirsch, and it's really nicely made.
Old 8 March 2018, 04:09 PM   #24
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
The blue variant (CK2998) like the one shown in Fred's post directly above comes on a blue croc strap that's 19mm tapering to 16mm, and I think those proportions are just right for the FOIS. I would go with the Hirsch London, which is available in matte black Alligator and 19mm x 16mm. It's ~$250 directly from Hirsch, and it's really nicely made.
Perfect, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:00 PM   #25
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you're going to wear it on a strap and want a slightly dressier look, the FOIS is probably the way to go. Definitely go with a Hirsch London strap as they're very nice and reasonably priced for the quality.

I own the Professional "sapphire sandwich" on the bracelet and the one advantage of it over both the regular Pro and the FOIS is that the movement is slightly upgraded and you can view it from the back. I like this, but others prefer the solid caseback just like they prefer the hesalite, which I personally don't like.

Regardless of which watch you choose, you'll love the Speedmaster. I think it's my least expensive watch but it just might be my favorite. (I also have a 114060 and it's also one of my favorites.) There's a reason these watches are among the best, even after 60 years: they got i right.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 05:26 AM   #26
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
pro for the Hesalite.
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 10:39 AM   #27
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Speedmaster Pro VS. FOIS

I have a Sub 114060 and I think I want either a Speedmaster or a blue dial DJ with fluted bezel. If I get a Speedmaster, I want the pro with the black leather strap and clear back case.

I prefer the hands on the pro and the clear case back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 12:45 PM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Just wanted to add that I think the Speedmaster Pro on the black alligator strap is pretty dressy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SuU2tDbJRw
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote