The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 October 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
edward
"TRF" Member

Rolex ignoramous ...value to help sell?

Hi all,

Forgive me in advance, as this is not only my first post, but I am not a watch enthusiast. But our non-profit received this as a gift and I am trying to assess its value for sale. I intend to list it here on your classifieds first, ebay as a very last resort should there be no interest. While I do not wish to make top dollar on it, I do wish to get a fair price ...again, for our non-profit. TIA!!

The watch:
-Style 550000
-S/N B7835xxxx
-"Oyster Perpetual AirKing" and "Precision" written on dial (dial is light in color)
-Stainless Steel
-New, unworn, in box, with all tags and "Rolex Watch USA" warranty paper in cardboard sleeve.
-Oh yeah, and its running as we speak :)

Thanks, all!

Edward
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 08:37 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Although the Air-King is a very handsome watch, it is not one of the most sought-after.

I guess it would fetch around 3,000 US at max.

You can post it for sale here when you have written 15 posts and have been a member for 15 days.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
edward,

It's almost impossible for the forum to ust come with anything but a ball park figure for a like model watch..

Post us a picture or two, of good quality, and we'll move it over to the WatchOut Forum for evaluation and comment..

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
edward
"TRF" Member

Wow, that was fast, thanks! I was going to edit my post with "oops, the s/n I wrote is wrong ...looks like that's part of the model number??"
Side note: where the heck is the s/n on this anyway?
I will post pics ASAP. Again, thanks!

Edward
Old 16 October 2007, 08:59 AM   #5
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Wow, that was fast, thanks! I was going to edit my post with "oops, the s/n I wrote is wrong ...looks like that's part of the model number??"
Side note: where the heck is the s/n on this anyway?
I will post pics ASAP. Again, thanks!

Edward
You find the serial number under the end piece at six o' clock, but better not try taking off the bracelet if you haven't got the right tools for it.

If the AK has all its papers, the serial number should also be on the COSC certicate and on the rectangular hang tag, too, if you still have it.

It should start with a letter and then have six numbers after the letter.

Btw.: when posting the serial number here, better just post the LETTER and the following 2 or 3 numbers since posting the FULL serial number can be misused by forgerers.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Tools

To find the serial number the bracelet needs to come off and you will find it between the lugs.

The model number will be between the 12 o'clock lugs, and the serial number between the 6 o'clock lugs.

There are no Rolex serial numbers starting with a B...

Old 16 October 2007, 09:02 AM   #7
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
Another ocean. More bait
LouCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 11:35 AM   #8
edward
"TRF" Member

OK, here we go...

...not the best pics, but I can post higher-res stuff, or offer photobucket links, if need be. Again, this watch is never-worn-new, but don't know how old it is. I don't really want to "do" anything to the watch to get the s/n for fear of harming it. So any help dating this is appreciated! Thanks for all your help, guys, really!!

Edward
Old 16 October 2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Tools

This will receive the proper attention and remain on the same page for much longer in this Forum.

However, we really need the serial number first few numbers.

Superficially, it looks to be a very nice Air King, one of the real work horses of the Rolex line.

Old 16 October 2007, 11:48 AM   #10
edward
"TRF" Member

Hi Tools,

Sorry, man. I didn't mean to violate any board rules (I am an active member on other boards, so am very sensitive to violators, so I understand). Straighten me out and I'll "fix it." I still would like to get this up on the classifieds if I can. Let me know what I gotta do ...Thanks!!
:)

Edward
Old 16 October 2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Tools

edward,
This is the classifieds..

We only have two forums in the classified section. The For Sale/Buy, and the WatchOut assessment forums..

To get on the For Sale Board you need 15 posts and 15 days as a member.. We don't allow sales in the General Forum

Your post on the general forum without meeting any of the the criteria to list in the For Sale area when you clearly plan to sell, asking value, is a pretty transparent game plan.
Old 16 October 2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
If the AK has all its papers, the serial number should also be on the COSC certicate and on the rectangular hang tag, too, if you still have it.
Now why would an Air King with "Precision" on the dial have a COSC certificate?
Old 16 October 2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
That's an interesting looking box there.

When you have time, would you take a picture of the box with the lid down?

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2007, 02:30 PM   #14
edward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
That's an interesting looking box there.

When you have time, would you take a picture of the box with the lid down?
Sure, and thanks for expressing curiousity (numbers blacked out by me for the posted image, of course)

Again, I'm just trying to get a fair price on this, guys, and am simply asking for guidance. If I may post in the classifieds here after the 15 day wait, great. If not, that's fine. But I really would appreciate any help on value. And if I may reiterate, I am simply looking to sell a donation so as to utilize the money in a way that works for us. Simple. Forgive me if this offends. ...Thanks, Tools, and others!

Edward
Old 16 October 2007, 02:51 PM   #15
Tools

edward,

If the papers go with that watch then the #7262xxx number is the serial.

That would make it about a 1981 model. You need to take off the bracelet to verify the papers go with the watch..

Old 16 October 2007, 03:36 PM   #16
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hmm - 1981 Air King. Somewhere between $1000 and $1500 depending on condition, perhaps?
Old 17 October 2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Downing
"TRF" Member

Well, since no one's started screaming "FAKE!" here, I'm going to assume it's genuine. It certainly looks genuine to me, but not only am I not an expert, I'm not even a very good amateur.

I would think the value would be a lot closer to the low range of Gedanken's estimate than to Bo's. The AK is a small watch, especially by today's standards, not for everybody, and there's nothing about this watch that's particularly remarkable other than it appears in good shape for a watch this old and it comes with box and papers. The new ones list at $3,800, the least expensive in the entire Rolex collection, and can be had for cheaper. I would be really surprised if you could get half of that and probably a lot less. If it really hasn't been worn then you can bet it hasn't been serviced either, which means more money the buyer's going to have to spend which presumably he would factor into the purchase price.

Having said this, after you tack down the year of production you might want to list it here or on ebay with a higher asking price to see if you get any takers. No harm in that.

My two cents. If anyone disagrees, I'd probably go with their opinion. I have zero ego invested in this.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Old 17 October 2007, 10:55 AM   #18
Superlative

Watch: Z16610
New, unworn, in box???? lol the thing look use man!
Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 11:07 AM   #19
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Sure, and thanks for expressing curiousity (numbers blacked out by me for the posted image, of course)

Again, I'm just trying to get a fair price on this, guys, and am simply asking for guidance. If I may post in the classifieds here after the 15 day wait, great. If not, that's fine. But I really would appreciate any help on value. And if I may reiterate, I am simply looking to sell a donation so as to utilize the money in a way that works for us. Simple. Forgive me if this offends. ...Thanks, Tools, and others!

Edward
The bracelet from what I can see does show a little wear?

Maybe just my eye sight?
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 11:50 AM   #20
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
It's a genuine gently used 80's Airking. Everything looks genuine on it. However price should be $1000 to $1200. on it. You can buy brand new ones for $2000-$2200 on the secondary market. And this one probably is over due for a service(dryed out lubricants and gaskets)
Wolfgang427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 11:57 AM   #21
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
That's the same type box as my Air King has. It's a very good looking watch. I expect that the value is ~$2000. Check out www.preownedrolex.com There are usually some Air Kings on his site for comparison.

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 12:09 PM   #22
edward
"TRF" Member

Thanks, guys!!

OK, so it is "lightly used" you say?? I dunno, seems "new" to me, but maybe that's my eyes. Or maybe it's the slightly soft focus?? Maybe you're right ...if only because it is a possibility and I do not know its history, I will err on the side of caution and be certain to note that when I list it.

I appreciate the feedback, all. And especially the link ...thanks! :) Now that I have an idea, I can try and list it. I suppose I have to wait the 15 days before listing here, is that correct?

Edward
Old 17 October 2007, 12:10 PM   #23
Tools

That site shows a late 70's Air-King sold for $699.
Old 17 October 2007, 12:14 PM   #24
edward
"TRF" Member

Hmm, the numbers are dropping as we speak. Oh well. I will be entertaining offers prior to official listing. ;)

Oh, and thanks to you guys giving me specifics on year and value ...that's exactly what I need!

Edward
Old 17 October 2007, 12:21 PM   #25
Tools

edward,

I would look at a $699 to be at the very bottom of the range for any air king.

If yours is genuine, I believe that James has given you a good range for an Air King with all the bits at around 1,000 to 1,500. Perhaps at the high end if it has seen little to no wear.. Fair market value is always what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller for any given product.

That price range is probably 3 times what it cost new...

Old 17 October 2007, 12:55 PM   #26
Downing
"TRF" Member

Larry, under the circumstances would it be a good idea/investment for Edward to have the watch serviced by RSC before selling it?

Wouldn't this make the watch both more valuable and easier to sell since it would be both serviced and authenticated?

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Old 17 October 2007, 01:36 PM   #27
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downing View Post
Larry, under the circumstances would it be a good idea/investment for Edward to have the watch serviced by RSC before selling it?

Wouldn't this make the watch both more valuable and easier to sell since it would be both serviced and authenticated?
Downing,

Yes, it could. A service for this watch would be about $400, and it would come with a Rolex guarantee of workmansip for 1 year.

Along with the original paperwork and box it seems to have, it would command top dollar for a watch from that era... Conversly, a savvy buyer would use it's need to be serviced as a tool to ask for a lower price..

Old 18 October 2007, 09:22 AM   #28
edward
"TRF" Member

All excellent advice. But would entail extra "work" on my part as to finding such an authorized service center near me, then taking it (shipping it?) there. A "bottom" price, as it were, of ~$700 is not a bad number, and certainly gets me a good idea of value in its present form. The point of needing service is an excellent point to make, and is certainly part of the negotiable price, given it would fetch more were it in "newly-serviced" condition. Thanks for all the thoughts and guidance on this ...you guys are great!! And the pitch goes out again, any interested takers shoot me a PM. I can take any pics (better, high-res ones, of course) or provide whatever info you'd like. Thanks, guys ...thanks, Tools ...uh, Larry!! :)

Edward
Old 18 October 2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That site shows a late 70's Air-King sold for $699.

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, that $699 Air King had a well worn jubilee bracelet, and was a "Grade III". That one was on the Less Expensive Rolex page.

Look at the Gents Rolex page, and you'll see a 2001 Air King that was in great condition that sold for either <$2000 or $2099 depending on which line is correct in the description. I gave $500 for mine back in 1990. It was a couple of years old and was unworn and in the box. It's still a great watch that runs and looks like new!

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2007, 12:22 PM   #30
Tools

Craig,

The 2001 Air King you mention selling for ~$2000 is still 20 years newer than the example we are discussing for Edward.. I think the high end of 1500 we gave is within reason..

Of course everything we give is just opinion and educated guess. Any vintage piece should be taken to an expert if there is any question..