doramas
Banned

????...
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:41 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
That dial damage/discoloration would be a deal-breaker for me before I even started to evaluate any other aspects of the watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:19 AM   #4
doramas
Banned

Damage to the dial?
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:58 AM   #5
E46seca
"TRF" Member

Watch looks great to me.... I'm not sure what he sees in the dial but looks like a nice gilt thats ages well. Some previous polish but to be expected from a 66. Nice piece all the way around IMO
E46seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 04:40 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46seca View Post
Watch looks great to me.... I'm not sure what he sees in the dial but looks like a nice gilt thats ages well. Some previous polish but to be expected from a 66. Nice piece all the way around IMO
I think it's the combination of the over spotty-like grayish haze on the dial, and the deterioration around the edges. I'd agree that it would bother me too much to purchase
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 1.27.44 PM.png (271.9 KB, 200 views)
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:18 AM   #7
Subspecies
"TRF" Member

As said dial is compromised. All 3 hands are differing in shade plus hour and minute hands have lume loss. Insert is modern and unfeasibly faded. Looks like a dealers put together watch.
Subspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Not much .
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:07 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Somehow just doesn't feel right...None of the color harmony suggests that these parts have aged together. As above with the dial deterioration.

I'm always suspicious when the shade of an insert is lighter closer to the crystal. With natural usage that part would be more protected from wear and UV by the crystal's height, so should be darker if not at least the same shade. There's no way it could receive more wear than the outer part of the insert.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #10
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Somehow just doesn't feel right...None of the color harmony suggests that these parts have aged together. As above with the dial deterioration.

I'm always suspicious when the shade of an insert is lighter closer to the crystal. With natural usage that part would be more protected from wear and UV by the crystal's height, so should be darker if not at least the same shade. There's no way it could receive more wear than the outer part of the insert.
The insert is much later and look to be heated to get that ugly fake brown tone. Originally a gilt sub had a long 5 insert. Quick exception 1963-4 with a few skinny fours in between. This is a service part someone tried to age.

It’s not a very fun watch. Dial is beyond tired, hands are tired and case is recut. I’d rather by a matte sub than this. Gilt is all about glossiness and this have not been glossy in a long time.
Old 16 December 2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I hate when sellers post those "glamour photos". It makes it really hard to see the details.
Old 17 December 2018, 07:39 AM   #12
E46seca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subspecies View Post
As said dial is compromised. All 3 hands are differing in shade plus hour and minute hands have lume loss. Insert is modern and unfeasibly faded. Looks like a dealers put together watch.

I do agree the insert isn't period correct but the dial looks good and yes has some deterioration but IMO has aged well and the hands match in color ? I don't see what you see but if the price is right and YOU personally like the watch ....own it
E46seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
I do agree the insert isn't period correct but the dial looks good and yes has some deterioration but IMO has aged well and the hands match in color ? I don't see what you see but if the price is right and YOU personally like the watch ....own it
The minute hand, hour hand and second hand lume are all different from each other, not to mention the hour hand lume is already missing a piece. Not sure how the dial can be aging well and deteriorating at the same time.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:16 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post

The insert is much later and look to be heated to get that ugly fake brown tone. Originally a gilt sub had a long 5 insert. Quick exception 1963-4 with a few skinny fours in between. This is a service part someone tried to age.

It’s not a very fun watch. Dial is beyond tired, hands are tired and case is recut. I’d rather by a matte sub than this. Gilt is all about glossiness and this have not been glossy in a long time.
X2 on the insert. It has definitely been artificially altered and appears to be a service insert.

Enough has been said by Roh and others about other aspects of the watch and I would second their comments.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 10:22 AM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would be tough to sell on, though. Much better to put your money into something that people will find desirable.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote