The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 29 November 2018, 03:21 PM   #1
THERNC
"TRF" Member

I Hear Swirling Noise when i Shake my Watch

Hey All,
Please tell me if i should leave it or take it to service paying the Fee $700 up (which why i'm here trying to save the money )

i got a GMT Master II which already been serviced 2 years ago, i got this watch for 7 years already , recently i can hear the swirling noise by shaking it . Sometimes louder and less .

I don't really wear it that often before , and now i'm afraid it might damage the parts inside when it keeps running ,so it been stopped for a while without winding .

Please Advise if you do know what's going on .
THERNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:10 AM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to TRF!

Without knowing more about the service history, knowing what parts might have been replaced two years ago (if any), or hearing the watch in person, it's difficult to say what to do here.

If it was serviced by RSC NYC and worn very little then it's likely fine and can go longer without service. If it was serviced by someone else and no parts were replaced, it's more difficult to make a recommendation.

Does it sound like the rotor is actually rubbing on the bridge/plates/caseback? Or, can you simply hear the rotor moving around? If it doesn't sound like metal-to-metal then it might be okay. Better safe than sorry, however.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 07:01 AM   #3
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

The Weight axles are notorious for wearing and becoming sloppy. Shake the watch up and down with the dial parallel to the ground. If you hear it slapping the back or the movement you know it's excessive wear. You should also be able to "feel" it moving in its jewel even if it doesn't hit the case or movement. It's also possible the grease has solidified which should be addressed as well. I just checked out a 5 year old Yacht Master for a customer a couple days ago. Watch ran great, but the axle grease was basically a dry, crusty, powder. The weight would chatter when you shook it.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
The Weight axles are notorious for wearing and becoming sloppy. Shake the watch up and down with the dial parallel to the ground. If you hear it slapping the back or the movement you know it's excessive wear. You should also be able to "feel" it moving in its jewel even if it doesn't hit the case or movement. It's also possible the grease has solidified which should be addressed as well. I just checked out a 5 year old Yacht Master for a customer a couple days ago. Watch ran great, but the axle grease was basically a dry, crusty, powder. The weight would chatter when you shook it.
Are watchmakers going too light with the lube on the rotor axle jewels? Should still be in good shape after only 5 years right?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:14 PM   #5
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Is it a 7 year old watch or has the OP owned it for 7 years?
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 05:02 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Are watchmakers going too light with the lube on the rotor axle jewels? Should still be in good shape after only 5 years right?
Sometimes they are disintegrated after 2-3 years from new
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #7
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Sometimes they are disintegrated after 2-3 years from new
THIS. Really sad. The one I just did was 5 years old. And some of that crap was on the movement. Luckily it didn't get dispersed everywhere.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #8
Fencer
"TRF" Member

In your opinion, are the older watches somewhat better made? I mean, my 34 yo SD, that has given me plenty of service, feels super-tight, and here people hear rattle in a 7 yo piece?
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
R.G.Bramlett, CW21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
This would be a good time to mention that, with the newly introduced 3235 movement, Rolex has gone away from the axle design and have finally embraced a ball bearing system for the oscillating weight. For exactly the reasons mentioned in this thread.
R.G.Bramlett, CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 06:26 AM   #10
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
My 116710LN had that problem. 2008c purchased used. (unknown service history) I had it serviced last year by Leo at Official Time Watch in Salt Lake City. In addition to the usual items, he had to replace the rotor axle. When I got my watch back it was like new. I'd highly recommend you give him a call. (801) 792-3125 Super nice guy and very helpful. Good luck.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:39 PM   #11
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Other bands have used ball bearings for the oscillating weight for years. Wonder what took Rolex so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G.Bramlett, CW21 View Post
This would be a good time to mention that, with the newly introduced 3235 movement, Rolex has gone away from the axle design and have finally embraced a ball bearing system for the oscillating weight. For exactly the reasons mentioned in this thread.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote