The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 August 2016, 10:00 PM   #1
mr_nice
"TRF" Member

£1,590 for my watch service !!!

Hi,

I am just looking for some advice on my Rolex Sub that is 12 years old, its last had a service 6 years ago and was around £400, I have taken it in for a service and the Rolex have responded with the following, they are also saying unless I have all the parts listed changed except the Bezal then they will not even service it ....

Sounds steep to me ......

The Rolex watch you left with us has been professionally examined by head watch technicians and their recommendation is as follows:

* Full Service
complete dismantling of the watch by highly skilled technicians, cleaning and inspecting the individual parts of the movement, the replacement of worn parts as necessary, on an exchange basis only, lubrication, re-assembly, timing and complimentary refurbishment of case and bracelet, subject to condition.

*Glass

*Crown

*Bracelet

* Bezel insert ( Optional )

Total for all work: £1,590 ( £1,550 if you choose not to go ahead with the optional bezel insert )
Price includes postage, packaging, insurance and VAT.

The time required to complete the repair to your watch will be approximately 6 working weeks from your confirmation.

You may wish to discuss the above with us in greater detail, in which case please do not hesitate to contact our experienced service team who would be delighted to talk you through your estimate.

We will not proceed any work without your approval, and therefore we would be very grateful if you could contact us at your earliest convenience to ensure there is no delay in getting your time-piece back to you where it belongs.

If for any reason you should decide not to proceed with the estimate, a £30.00 fee will be charged for postage, packaging and administration costs.
mr_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 01:09 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Do they want you to buy a new bracelet?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 03:49 AM   #3
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That seems steep! Is the watch currently working fine? Id send it to an independent watch tech myself where you can actually TALK to the person who will do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 04:07 AM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
The bulk of the cost is probably the new bracelet they want you to buy...

Have you talked to them and asked why they might think you need a new one?

You could always take it back and send it in again on a nato strap.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 04:20 AM   #5
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Ask for it back and give Graham at Superlative Time in West London a call.

Lee

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 06:55 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

If the bracelet is bad it should be an option, they cannot force you to buy a new one.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 10:41 PM   #7
mr_nice
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your comments this is the latest ....
Please find below further detail following on from a phone call with Rolex on your behalf regarding your estimate. I have highlighted these below in red for you.

Hi,
The Rolex watch you left with us has been professionally examined by head watch technicians and their recommendation is as follows:

* Full Service - £460.00

complete dismantling of the watch by highly skilled technicians, cleaning and inspecting the individual parts of the movement, the replacement of worn parts as necessary, on an exchange basis only, lubrication, re-assembly, timing and complimentary refurbishment of case and bracelet, subject to condition. – required to get your time piece back in full optimal working condition

*Glass - £140.00

Rolex watch technicians have found there to be a hairline fracture to the glass upon inspection – this hairline fracture could develop into a full crack if not rectified, and as it stands could allow water into the watch which could damage the dial and movement. This work must be carried out in order to maintain water resistance and structural security of your time piece.

*Crown - £50.00

The crown is dented, and the crown stem (the part which connects the crown to the inner workings of the watch) is worn meaning water resistancy is not guaranteed in its present physical state. This is required in order to return your watch in optimal working condition

*Bracelet - £900.00

The bracelet can be declined, but there would be no guarantee to the safety there-after of your time piece. This is due to the fact that over time, Rolex bracelets do stretch and become weaker which is a completely natural process. This is highly recommended, but if declined, Rolex will not do any refurbishment to your current bracelet.

* Bezel insert ( Optional ) - £40.00

You do not have to choose to go ahead with this option, as it is purely aesthetic. The watch technicians have found some slight marking to the bezel insert which does not affect the performance of the watch.
Old 13 August 2016, 07:46 AM   #8
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Since when does a stem affect water resistance ??!!
If the bracelet is in need of some tlc and you are interested in a more realistic cost give me a shout !
Thanks
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 12:35 PM   #9
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Without the bracelet it's a fair price, go ahead imho
Old 13 August 2016, 01:35 PM   #10
onkyo
Banned

Normal pricing for the services quoted.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 01:44 PM   #11
AID_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollectables View Post
Since when does a stem affect water resistance ??!! ...
Thanks
Stem certainly does not affect water resistance, but dent in the crown may, depending on how badly crown is dented. Most likely crown is not in bad enough shape to leak water, but I can see why Rolex may request the replacement.

As far as bracelet, you can always decline the replacement and take it to a local shop to check the clasp and pins just to make sure they are ok. If they are, the bracelet is completely secure, even if stretched...
AID_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 09:24 PM   #12
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I remember when I put my 1995 sea dweller in for service in 2005, they wanted nearly £900...pretty much for everything you have been quoted except bracelet was £400. I said to go ahead without the new bracelet but Rolex said it was all or nothing! That watch is at Rolex now for a service...price £450
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 09:43 PM   #13
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I put a Tudor Monarch II quartz in to RSC UK for a new bezel insert last year.

They insisted on a new movement, crown, stem, tube, crystal and service before they would consider doing the bezel. They also opened it, immediately rendering the test it had had done to 3ATM after it's battery change. Over £1000 of additional work insisted on.

After a bit of back and forth with the customer care manager (his title IIFC) I pointed out that if this was a car I'd already have taken the matter to trading standards as it's illegal in the UK for additional work that's not related to the specific fault to be made a condition of taking on the job. They can refuse to do any of it, but they can't say we'll only do x if you pay for y and z. It was only meant as a passing nudge, but they must have taken it as a direct threat because they came back to me almost straight away and agreed to fit the new insert on the understanding that I accepted they wouldn't guarantee the movement or water resistance.

It's not the first time I've heard of them doing this either. They seem to work on the premise that you've got an expensive watch so you'll just sign off any work they say is needed without thinking about it. The fact that they implied a bracelet was a condition of doing the work in their first estimate, only for you to be told it was optional when you questioned it, just goes to make this more likely in my mind.
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 10:09 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Prices seem fair, keep your old bracelet if it is OK.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 12:45 AM   #15
crossroads
"TRF" Member

I would have everything done at an independent accredited Rolex Watchmaker, I would ask for all the work to be done but the bracelet to be restored - cleaned/ polished / adjusted and new pins. Rocco Manfredi of Watchworks Bristol is an honest guy, fully trained, Rolex inspected and has all the gear. I would expect the bill to be about 50% of your quote.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 01:15 AM   #16
PJ S
Banned

Don’t know anything about the above member’s credentials, but you should at least have a chat with Brendan Hoey (webwatchmaker.com) who’s ex-JLC Switzerland.

There’s also Roco at Watchworks, Duncan at Genesis, and William Rice – most of, if not all previously mentioned on this forum.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 01:32 AM   #17
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nice View Post
Hi,

complete dismantling of the watch by highly skilled technicians

This cracked me up !

Jesus.....
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 01:58 AM   #18
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Do you have a recent picture of the bracelet? I would love to know what Rolex considers worn/in need for replacement.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 06:27 AM   #19
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Don’t know anything about the above member’s credentials, but you should at least have a chat with Brendan Hoey (webwatchmaker.com) who’s ex-JLC Switzerland.

There’s also Roco at Watchworks, Duncan at Genesis, and William Rice – most of, if not all previously mentioned on this forum.
I can vouch for William Rice, a very straightforward person to deal with. Get him to service your watch (he is Rolex accredited) and send your bracelet to Michael Young. Job done

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 07:01 AM   #20
PatrickJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nice View Post
Hi,

I am just looking for some advice on my Rolex Sub that is 12 years old, its last had a service 6 years ago and was around £400, I have taken it in for a service and the Rolex have responded with the following, they are also saying unless I have all the parts listed changed except the Bezal then they will not even service it ....

Sounds steep to me ......

* Full Service
complete dismantling of the watch by highly skilled technicians, cleaning and inspecting the individual parts of the movement, the replacement of worn parts as necessary, on an exchange basis only, lubrication, re-assembly, timing and complimentary refurbishment of case and bracelet, subject to condition.

*Glass

*Crown

*Bracelet

* Bezel insert ( Optional )

Total for all work: £1,590 ( £1,550 if you choose not to go ahead with the optional bezel insert )
Price includes postage, packaging, insurance and VAT.

The time required to complete the repair to your watch will be approximately 6 working weeks from your confirmation.

You may wish to discuss the above with us in greater detail, in which case please do not hesitate to contact our experienced service team who would be delighted to talk you through your estimate.

We will not proceed any work without your approval, and therefore we would be very grateful if you could contact us at your earliest convenience to ensure there is no delay in getting your time-piece back to you where it belongs.

If for any reason you should decide not to proceed with the estimate, a £30.00 fee will be charged for postage, packaging and administration costs.
Go ahead minus bracelet. It is fair.
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2016, 06:43 PM   #21
mr_nice
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of your helpful advise, I have gone ahead with all the work except the Bracelet which I am working through the people that you have suggested.
When I receive the watch back from Rolex I will take a picture of the strap, post it up on here and then send it off ....

Really appreciate the feedback to date :)
Old 16 August 2016, 12:05 AM   #22
mr_nice
"TRF" Member

So I have looked at the option around the Bracelet and having doing some research even though the chap in Hong Kong looks good I am not sure that I want to take the risk.....

Edited - I have just realised that I can just send the bracelet doh, I have asked for a quote and how to start the proccess

I also sent an email to one of the recommendations and received this ...

We can refurbish your bracelet if just the bracelet was sent to us.

There is nothing he can do about the loseness of it though.

The cost would be in the region of £100 but would need to be confirmed when the bracelet is examined.

You can send us photographs if you like.

Tempted to get Rolex to it and be done with it !!!
Old 16 August 2016, 12:37 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Let Rolex do it and be done with it imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 12:39 AM   #24
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Probably not a bad price for the service though Rolex know that many people will go with their estimate for peace of mind and since not everyone has the option of elsewhere. No doubt they do a great job, but they certainly tend towards the 'catch all' approach! Would hold off and get a good watchmaker to take a look at the bracelet - if nothing is broken or worn to the point of replacement, a good watch maker might be able to turn it around!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 04:46 AM   #25
RichardF
"TRF" Member

It's standard practice to replace the crown and tube during service. That is the only way Rolex can certify it as pressure proof and bring it to back to factory spec. The stem must have had an issue to suggest it be replaced but I would go ahead with it. Rolex wanted to replace my 18kt Super Jubilee band at a cost of 12,000 and there was nothing wrong with it. This is a suggestion they are making a lot lately on all types of bands.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 05:30 PM   #26
mr_nice
"TRF" Member

Decision made its going to Mr Young .......

Yes we can restore your band.

The price for the band restoration is USD180 for steel bands and USD250 for 2 tone bands, plus return EMS/Fedex postage USD33^ and (optional insurance for 2% of desired insured value). PAYMENT via PayPal in approx. 4-6 weeks. But this is just a general approximation, we are a small workshop and have little man power, so please be a little patient since sometimes it takes longer.

For very worn bands with worn out links (especially the 2 tone oyster bands) we offer an additional service of laser welding additional metal to the worn corners of both the centre links and the inner side links. Pricing is USD150 for steel bands and USD200 for two tone bands.

Please send ONLY the band with a note on your restoration requirements

Beats the £900 from Rolex ...........
Old 25 August 2016, 01:04 PM   #27
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
When we service a watch and crown needs replacement, we always replace the stem. This is standard procedure. The cost is minimal. Case tube replacement depends on condition. Our person is Rolex trained and CMW21 certified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 02:29 AM   #28
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
I remember when I put my 1995 sea dweller in for service in 2005, they wanted nearly £900...pretty much for everything you have been quoted except bracelet was £400. I said to go ahead without the new bracelet but Rolex said it was all or nothing! That watch is at Rolex now for a service...price £450
Hmm, just heard back from Rolex....full service, bezel insert (£30) and bracelet (£900) is scratched and worn....£1360...taking the p. Instructed to go ahead with service but leave bracelet. Will be interested to see what they say
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 08:20 PM   #29
boring_sandwich
"TRF" Member

When Rolex replace the bracelet they return the old one if requested, so you could always sell it on the bay if not in terrible condition and the funds would contribute to the new one.
boring_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:55 PM   #30
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
When Rolex replace the bracelet they return the old one if requested, so you could always sell it on the bay if not in terrible condition and the funds would contribute to the new one.
in case of replacement by RSC they do not return the old bracelet

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote