The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #61
Lol-x
Facilitator

I love the look of the SLA025 but on my puny wrist, the SLA017 was a better fit.

However, the SLA025 does have a heck of a lot going for it in looks, design and movement (high beat).

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:51 PM   #62
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Received an email from Hodinkee about having the SLA025 for sale (along with some other watches), but they were all sold out by the time I checked their store. I wonder how many pieces they had to sell....
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 11:28 AM   #63
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'm a big fan of this release but $5,400 is just too much for a Seiko on a rubber strap. If the MSRP was $3,000-$3,500 I would pull the trigger.
It's not only a question of what strap it comes on, but I can assure you that while this is an awesome watch, under the scrutiny of a loupe, it doesn't come close to the fit & finish of a GS. The SLA017 is also not perfect but then again, the price was roughly 2K lower. I understand that the Hi-Beat is a remarkable movement, but for less than an add'l grand you could enjoy it in a finely finished GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
...I think it also exudes quality. I have a few GS watches as well as a couple of Prospex watches, including the Ninja Turtle, and I would say the look and feel of this watch, even at first glance, is on par with my GS watches, and way above the Prospex watches (as it should, given the price difference)...
As I noted above, a most awesome reference but sadly, not quite on par with a GS, at least not in my personal experience...

So I'll start off with... (queue in Ennio Morricone's soundtrack) ...the Good
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 12:16 PM   #64
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
It's not only a question of what strap it comes on, but I can assure you that while this is an awesome watch, under the scrutiny of a loupe, it doesn't come close to the fit & finish of a GS. The SLA017 is also not perfect but then again, the price was roughly 2K lower. I understand that the Hi-Beat is a remarkable movement, but for less than an add'l grand you could enjoy it in a finely finished GS

As I noted above, a most awesome reference but sadly, not quite on par with a GS, at least not in my personal experience...

So I'll start off with... (queue in Ennio Morricone's soundtrack) ...the Good
Maybe all that is true considering fit/finish of the SLA025 vs GS, but to me, I've got to absolutely love the look of the watch. To me, there's not a GS on the market that is on par with the vintage good looks of the SLA025. I've really wanted to love the GS line, but for whatever reason, there's always a pretty major aesthetic deal-breaker on any GS I've looked at. Not so with the SLA025...I pretty much love everything about it. But again, that's just like my opinion, man...
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 02:27 PM   #65
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Maybe all that is true considering fit/finish of the SLA025 vs GS, but to me, I've got to absolutely love the look of the watch. To me, there's not a GS on the market that is on par with the vintage good looks of the SLA025. I've really wanted to love the GS line, but for whatever reason, there's always a pretty major aesthetic deal-breaker on any GS I've looked at. Not so with the SLA025...I pretty much love everything about it. But again, that's just like my opinion, man...
I pretty much agree with all of the above except I would substitute the SLA025 for the SLA017. To me the SLA017 is just drop dead gorgeous in every respect and a little more practical for every day wear at the office (whatever your office may be).

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 3 October 2018, 02:24 PM   #66
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I pretty much agree with all of the above except I would substitute the SLA025 for the SLA017. To me the SLA017 is just drop dead gorgeous in every respect and a little more practical for every day wear at the office (whatever your office may be).
Fair enough...you wouldn’t hear me crying if I had to sport the SLA017 either. All that said, I’m still crossing fingers for a 6105 reissue come Basel 2019. I absolutely adore my ‘76 6105, but for obvious reasons it never sees water as I just don’t trust the seals. Man would it be sweet to have that funky case with a modern movement (hell, I’ll even splurge and pay for hi-beat if Seiko really wants to blow my socks off).
Old 3 October 2018, 02:52 PM   #67
Lol-x
Facilitator

A re-edition of the 6105 would be a dream come true.

Old 4 October 2018, 01:12 AM   #68
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Wouldn't surprise me if the 6105 is next. Seems logical.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 06:19 AM   #69
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if the 6105 is next. Seems logical.
Please, please, please! I have both a 1970 proof/proof 6105-8000 (with 6105B movement) and my dad's 1975 6105-8119. I would plop down $5k in a heartbeat for a GOOD reissue of one of those (and both the SLA017 and SLA025 are exceptional reissues, in my opinion).
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 06:24 AM   #70
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Fair enough...you wouldn’t hear me crying if I had to sport the SLA017 either. All that said, I’m still crossing fingers for a 6105 reissue come Basel 2019. I absolutely adore my ‘76 6105, but for obvious reasons it never sees water as I just don’t trust the seals. Man would it be sweet to have that funky case with a modern movement (hell, I’ll even splurge and pay for hi-beat if Seiko really wants to blow my socks off).
Good call on not getting it near water, the 6105 crown seals are notoriously ridiculous. Seiko designed it to replace the whole crown at service, but it's a Seiko, so no one sent them in for service, which is why you see water damaged 6105s by the boat load.

Some watchsmiths do a full seal replacement, even the crown; I had my dad's 6105-8119 crown resealed by Jack at International Watch Works, cost about $85. He pressure tested it to 10 Bar, as well. Well worth it for me, since it's an heirloom. Otherwise, avoid water at all costs...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 11:33 AM   #71
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe all that is true considering fit/finish of the SLA025 vs GS, but to me, I've got to absolutely love the look of the watch...
Quote:
I pretty much agree with all of the above except I would substitute the SLA025 for the SLA017...
Here's one for the both of you

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 4 October 2018, 01:26 PM   #72
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Beautiful!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 09:56 PM   #73
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...So I'll start off with... (queue in Ennio Morricone's soundtrack) ...the Good...
...and now the bad.
1st off, it goes without saying that as with most "issues", this may apply to only some and not all units.

I have several watches with screw-down crowns, including two Rolex Sea Dwellers, an Omega SM300MC as well as my Seiko SLA017 (heck, even my Grand Seiko SBGA125!).
"My" SLA025 needs a fine touch to "seat" the crown-stem's threads into the case's threads... A royal pain. I have to back it up until I feel it has "clicked" into place and then I can screw it down (very smooth & silky action at this point).

At first I figured someone (local Seiko distributor, my AD, ...) had mucked it up but I found at least one other owner who posted the same "concerns"... . I'm not sure what to think about it but given it's the only screw-down that is so fussy, I'm a bit ...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 5 October 2018, 01:52 AM   #74
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
...and now the bad.
1st off, it goes without saying that as with most "issues", this may apply to only some and not all units.

I have several watches with screw-down crowns, including two Rolex Sea Dwellers, an Omega SM300MC as well as my Seiko SLA017 (heck, even my Grand Seiko SBGA125!).
"My" SLA025 needs a fine touch to "seat" the crown-stem's threads into the case's threads... A royal pain. I have to back it up until I feel it has "clicked" into place and then I can screw it down (very smooth & silky action at this point).

At first I figured someone (local Seiko distributor, my AD, ...) had mucked it up but I found at least one other owner who posted the same "concerns"... . I'm not sure what to think about it but given it's the only screw-down that is so fussy, I'm a bit ...

Try waxed dental floss around crown threads to clean & “lube” them, it’ll make setting the crown easier.
Old 5 October 2018, 04:25 PM   #75
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Good call on not getting it near water, the 6105 crown seals are notoriously ridiculous. Seiko designed it to replace the whole crown at service, but it's a Seiko, so no one sent them in for service, which is why you see water damaged 6105s by the boat load.

Some watchsmiths do a full seal replacement, even the crown; I had my dad's 6105-8119 crown resealed by Jack at International Watch Works, cost about $85. He pressure tested it to 10 Bar, as well. Well worth it for me, since it's an heirloom. Otherwise, avoid water at all costs...
I was fortunate enough to have my 6105 completely rebuilt/restored by Spencer Klein approx 8 months ago (got it in right before he imposed his 1 yr lock on new jobs)...actually even then he had about a 1 yr backlog but I got past that as I traded 4 other vintage Seiko divers in exchange for the service & the agreement he would do it “after hours” during his free time so as not to disrupt his current orders)...he turned it around for me in less than a month. BUT...although new seals & completely rebuild crown, even Spencer refused to condone the use of the watch in water just because of the tragedy that would be the watch if something failed. So alas, I enjoy the watch when there’s no chance of any water exposure.
Old 5 October 2018, 04:33 PM   #76
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I honestly look at both of those watches, then consider the thousands of different divers that have been made by countless watch companies since these were debuted and all I can think is, “How do you improve...they got it right 60+ years ago...amazing!” Talk about great examples of timeless designs! And I bet they still look great in another 50+ years.
Old 6 October 2018, 09:40 AM   #77
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So I'll start off with... (queue in Ennio Morricone's soundtrack) ...the Good..
Quote:
...and now the bad...
Last but not least, time for ...the ugly.

Firstly, I don't own a single watch that doesn't have a least a few specs of dust. By "few", I mean you can count them all. Usually using your ten fingers or less. It's next to impossible to guarantee a 100% dust-free work environment, although this industry may be only second to computer-chip manufactures who dress like the CDC's Ebola-research team... !

Secondly, I can accept that this may be an isolated incident and if I were looking at a $900 Seiko Sports Diver, I wouldn't be all that surprised or distressed... . However, it's not a Sports Diver, it's an expensive limited edition "Tribute" and the 2nd most expensive Seiko ever released, if I'm not mistaken.

Furthermore, as noted in Seiko's own news brief(s), this Seiko is assembled in the same manufacture as all higher-grade mechanical (Grand-) Seikos - the Shizukuishi Watch Studio.

Given the above, I'm at a loss... . When you have an assembly-line environment for mass-production (such as is the case of the $900 Sports Diver), only a very small percentage of the product can be personally reviewed (QA). Given the price-point, all 1500 of the SLA025 should have been personally checked, period. Well my unit apparently bypassed QA, with scratched hands, lume-paint "bleed" and more dust particles than in all of my watches combined (estimated )

A lot of dust, just not enough to cover up the scratches...

Looks like this will be the very first brand-new watch that I'll have to send in...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 6 October 2018, 10:31 PM   #78
Lol-x
Facilitator

Sorry to hear about your SLA025, but i guess sometimes this can (rarely) happen.

Fortunately, my SLA017 is spotless inside the crystal.

Old 6 October 2018, 11:20 PM   #79
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...Fortunately, my SLA017 is spotless inside the crystal...
No such thing but I'll accept near-spotless

Let me add that it takes me a good deal of time to notice any of the dust using an 8x loupe and altering the (day) lighting. The seconds-hand lume bleed and a few of the more prominent particles can be seen but that's about it.

My LG V30 Smartphone will spot the bleed and that's it. With my eyes (& corrected glasses) I see none of the above.

In short, it's not an issue in daily life but someone compared it to Grand Seiko and that's why I brought this topic up.

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 7 October 2018, 10:27 AM   #80
Lol-x
Facilitator

Are you saying its impossible for any Seiko to be "spotless" under the crystal?

Old 7 October 2018, 11:40 AM   #81
moby33
"TRF" Member

Call me lazy (I like to think it's my way of staying sane), but if I can't see it with my naked eye, it doesn't exist and therefore "spotless". My SRP789 cost me $350 and I can't see any issues w/ the dial, markers or hands...so I call that a major success.
Old 7 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #82
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...Firstly, I don't own a single watch that doesn't have a least a few specs of dust. By "few", I mean you can count them all. Usually using your ten fingers or less...
Quote:
Are you saying its impossible for any Seiko to be "spotless" under the crystal?
Im stating that every single watch I own has some particles and based on this experience alone, i have inferred that no watch can be 100% particle-free. My SLA025 is a particularly bad example, but my SLA017 isnt perfect either. My 126600 is probably the cleanest, even my GS has a few specs (almost exclusively on the hands).

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 7 October 2018, 10:42 PM   #83
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I was able to try on both the sla025 and sla019 at my AD yesterday. Both awesome. I’m just still not on board with $5k plus. The green marine is at the right price but already got an all green watch. PM me if you’re looking for one of these still.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 08:06 AM   #84
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Call me lazy (I like to think it's my way of staying sane), but if I can't see it with my naked eye, it doesn't exist and therefore "spotless"...
I think that's a much better approach - less OCD, more enjoyment
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 8 October 2018, 11:15 AM   #85
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that's a much better approach - less OCD, more enjoyment
Ha...I get it. Yeah, I don't want to know...because if I did, I couldn't get it out of my head. I've had some issues w/ watches that I could easily see w/ the naked eye (small obviously, but you could still see it). Try as I might, I just couldn't ignore (it's like every time I looked at it I had to "check" to see if it was still there...and of course it was, so the madness of constantly checking continued). It can drive you crazy...I couldn't even imagine how much this issue would be magnified (pun intended) if I pulled out some loupes. So I stick w/ the naked eye and keep it at that level for my own sanity.
Old 13 October 2018, 11:35 AM   #86
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

I need to get an "Uncle Seiko" tropical. just one question to any who already own it - is it "easier going" on the wrist compared to the OEM strap? I love the OEM on my SLA017 but the SLA025 is too heavy, making the OEM strap grab at my skin...

I tried both a 20mm & 18mm (pictured) stock NATO today but it doesn't look good. The 20mm is simply too wide & looks silly at the lugs. The 18mm is too thin, revealing the spring bars, but even worse is that the strap looks "fragile" compared to the SLA025's thick & wide case. At least the OEM's thickness (height) gives it a little more "weight", optically... .

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 14 October 2018, 01:19 PM   #87
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I need to get an "Uncle Seiko" tropical. just one question to any who already own it - is it "easier going" on the wrist compared to the OEM strap? I love the OEM on my SLA017 but the SLA025 is too heavy, making the OEM strap grab at my skin...

I tried both a 20mm & 18mm (pictured) stock NATO today but it doesn't look good. The 20mm is simply too wide & looks silly at the lugs. The 18mm is too thin, revealing the spring bars, but even worse is that the strap looks "fragile" compared to the SLA025's thick & wide case. At least the OEM's thickness (height) gives it a little more "weight", optically... .

I was thinking Uncle Seiko tropical too...but no experience with it (yet). Ironically, I just ordered an US president a few days ago for my 6105 simply because I love metal bracelets on my watches and the US president offered SEL (wow!). My current aftermarket oyster has hollow end links and don't really line up w/ the lugs/case properly. I love the bracelet, just not the look of the endlinks. I can't wait to see how the SEL president fits my 6105.

It arrived today in the mail...I'll check it out when I get home late tonight. US also included a 19mm tropical (or maybe it was a waffle) free w/ the president purchase. If it's a tropical, I'll let you know how it feels.
Old 15 October 2018, 07:36 AM   #88
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...I just ordered an US president a few days ago for my 6105 simply because I love metal bracelets on my watches and the US president offered SEL (wow!) ...US also included a 19mm tropical (or maybe it was a waffle) free w/ the president purchase. If it's a tropical, I'll let you know how it feels.
Looking forward to seeing both watches with their new shoes
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 15 October 2018, 08:40 AM   #89
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing both watches with their new shoes
Got it on last night, but didn't take pics...those to follow. And unfortunately, no tropical was included...just a waffle.

Initial report on the US president is the SEL & bracelet is really good (and has a vintage vibe to go w/ the watch)...but I'm not a fan of the clasp. It's as expected in that it's pretty flimsy and cheap and w/ no flip lock, obviously not as secure as I would like.

I will probably eventually modify the aftermarket oyster bracelet (that I had on it previously as I like the quality of links and clasp) to accept the new SEL's on the President. These old watches are like old cars...you always have some little project you want done to improve.
Old 24 October 2018, 04:57 AM   #90
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...Looks like this will be the very first brand-new watch that I'll have to send in...
This will be the last pic of my 30-day old Beauty & Beast for now - off to ... the Shizuku-ishi Watch Studio maybe?

But I'll soldier on... sniff... and fortunately it's SpeedyTuesday

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME