The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 November 2018, 10:59 AM   #61
austinp
"TRF" Member

There are a couple models I'd love to own.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 12:42 PM   #62
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
The customer experience at the stores is excellent.
Another member here and I walked into the RM boutique in Bevery Hills during a GTG. We were the only ones in the boutique and the man/woman (couldn’t tell) working there stood there like a cardboard cutout. No hello. Yea, amazing customer experience.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 02:21 PM   #63
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I try not to pollute my mind with such crass topics
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 08:58 PM   #64
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Another member here and I walked into the RM boutique in Bevery Hills during a GTG. We were the only ones in the boutique and the man/woman (couldn’t tell) working there stood there like a cardboard cutout. No hello. Yea, amazing customer experience.
Arjan and I went to the boutique in the Dubai mall. We told the SA we weren't buying, just looking. He showed us every watch on the premises, including two pulled from the safe. And he encouraged us to strap them all on.

It was a great customer experience for us, and a crappy experience for you, which implies that there isn't much control of the boutiques by the brand.

No idea what time it is, but it looks pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM Carbon.jpg (190.3 KB, 433 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 10:57 PM   #65
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
"No idea what time it is, but it looks pretty cool "
Hilarious!!
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 11:14 PM   #66
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post

I would imagine Roger Dubuis helps with them.

Not in the slightest.
The man himself died last year, and as RD is a Swatch Group owned brand, and APRP is owned by AP (an independent privately owned company), the two will have nothing to do with one another.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 11:19 PM   #67
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I don’t play tennis and I don’t drive race cars.
I do like to go for a swim on vacation and rather than leave an expensive watch unprotected in the hotel safe I would prefer to keep it on my wrist

Unfortunately the typical water resistance for the RM “sports” watches are 30m.

Deal breaker.

The service intervals are also rather short and for what is a time only watch (gray Yohan Blake) rather over priced.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:58 AM   #68
Star Ferry
Banned

Rafa and Bubba are cool guys, but they never actually paid for an RM
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:48 PM   #69
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
why the hype? well for their customers, what they offer in terms of materials, engineering, comfort on the wrist, exclusivity and cool factor, they really have no competition.

and the demand has only continued to increase.. they responded by making it more exclusive. now its like trying to buy a limited edition Ferrari. you need to build a relationship with them. They are targeting multi-multi-millionaires who collect tourbillons and in turn maybe they give you permission to buy the cheaper $150k "hot" model. They also cancelled deposits by customers who didn't fit this profile.

the result is that their hot models now go for $50k+ above retail.
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:52 PM   #70
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
If you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand the answer.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:14 AM   #71
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

To me, they look like some nasty toy that comes out of a large box of Cracker Jacks, or worse and probably more accurate, out of a Carnival claw grabbing machine.

I wouldn't wear one if it was a gift from the company and they paid me. Chumps like Bubba have zero taste and no standards.

As hideous and comical as these watches are, I also know that Mozart and Picasso were seen as whackos when they were alive and producing work, so in the future these may hold a different status than the overpriced clown toy status they now hold.

But I will never wear one. Hideous!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:09 AM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
To me, they look like some nasty toy that comes out of a large box of Cracker Jacks, or worse and probably more accurate, out of a Carnival claw grabbing machine.

I wouldn't wear one if it was a gift from the company and they paid me. Chumps like Bubba have zero taste and no standards.

As hideous and comical as these watches are, I also know that Mozart and Picasso were seen as whackos when they were alive and producing work, so in the future these may hold a different status than the overpriced clown toy status they now hold.

Tone it down, no need for name calling here, still act like you are on the Rolex forum.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:23 AM   #73
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Tone it down, no need for name calling here, still act like you are on the Rolex forum.
Name calling generally refers to insulting someone.

Which forum member did I insult by calling them a name? Or are you referring to me calling Bubba a chump? I didn't realize that Bubba is a forum member.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 09:16 AM   #74
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tell us how you really feel...
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 09:36 AM   #75
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I can appreciate the use of exotic materials and unique engineering, like suspending a movement using tiny cables. That said, at least to me, these watches are aesthetically atrocious and they fail in their primary objective, being legible.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:00 PM   #76
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
They are targeting multi-multi-millionaires who collect tourbillons and in turn maybe they give you permission to buy the cheaper $150k "hot" model. They also cancelled deposits by customers who didn't fit this profile.

the result is that their hot models now go for $50k+ above retail.
You mean their "cheaper" and more "accessible" models. Quite frankly I think it's disgusting that the RM11-03 McLaren, which was supposed to be exclusive to McLaren Ultimate Series buyers, lists for $350k on the gray market.

Those multi-multi-millionaires who collect Tourbillons simply flip the RM11's.

I really want to get into RM. I really do. But I don't like the games they play.

I'll sit on a steel Daytona wait list for half a decade, waiting patiently for a Daytona, if I have to. Can't do that with RM it seems.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 01:48 PM   #77
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I do not like the brand at all. The look isn’t for me and the legibility is awful. In my opinion, the watches are grossly overpriced. It is not worth the price point at all. They are doing nothing unique imo.

The reasoning for the prices is marketing and celebrity endorsement.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:58 PM   #78
Hafez
"TRF" Member

11-03

Hello guys,

I have been in this dilemma since long time. Following the rise of RM since over 10 years, tried many times to buy one but always felt it was ridiculously expensive. However, I decided 2 years ago to go for one, so I walked in the shop in Paris At Montaigne and made a long nice conversation with the sales persons.

So first, they are very professional and they can differentiate easily between a serious collector and or buyer and some that wants just to have the chat. Yet in both scenarios they are very patient. They leave u the room to think, get to know the brand and walk you through the references so you can reach what you want. I ended up choosing the RM 11-03 in titanium, I was informed it’s a long waiting list. I decided to wait. Around a year and something and after many follow up visits and calls I receive the call she is here.

I am personally a young collector, I have Rolex’s, AP, IWC big pilot, PP(5270p) on the way and I must say it like this, once you wear it and it’s yours, it’s just another feeling, the watch is beautiful, looking at it makes you feel happy. I have been getting praise whenever I go, I sometimes wear it on my suits and it’s makes people crazy.

I am not a billionaire or will be :) The watch is 100k Euros which is cheaper than most of the complications in PP yet it’s anotehr level.

So my advice is yes RM they have ridiculously expensive pieces, yet they have nicely priced one and once you wear them they penetrate ur DNA. This watch opened widely the doors of PP museum for me once they saw it. Take this as well, they sales guy which turned to be the manager asked me to try it and take a picture with it :) it’s not a reflection of money it’s the reflection of beauty. Again wearing it got me easily a Daytona in the crazy market of London.

The conclusion I managed to put my name of the 35-02 and delivery hopefully in 2019 .

Guys try many of them and I bet you whichever is your taste you will fall in love with one of them.
Hafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:30 PM   #79
unknown
"TRF" Member

Their price is just ridiculous

Do you remember the VERTU phones from 10 years ago ? A mobile phone was about 300 to 500 euro back then , Vertu was a bit better made because of more expensive materials but they charged between 3000 and 20000 and ofcourse some snobs needed a Vertu

There are always exceptions so I don't want to offend RM owners here but in general it's the same crowd that buys these watches. As long as it's expensive and even better if 'my friends know it's very expensive' than there will always be customers for it.
It's by far the most overpriced brand on the planet and their finishing is not even close to Patek or Lange. Concerning the more exotic materials they use, I agree but they are not more expensive than gold or platinum so WTF are you paying for ??

A perfect example
Years ago (don't know the reference) they made a tourbillon and asked 1 million for it ... 2 years or so later they made the same watch in a sapphire case and they asked an EXTRA MILLION. So 2 million for that watch
1 million for the case ???
Hublot and Bell & Ross make sapphire watches for 60K.
RM asks 1 million for the case

It's like ... Hey .. we make a 20K watch but ask 200K for it, wanne bet it sells ?

production price and list price is probably multiplied by 10 - 20
Old 1 December 2018, 11:01 PM   #80
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
...so WTF are you paying for ??
Marketing and hype.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:54 PM   #81
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Their price is just ridiculous

Do you remember the VERTU phones from 10 years ago ? A mobile phone was about 300 to 500 euro back then , Vertu was a bit better made because of more expensive materials but they charged between 3000 and 20000 and ofcourse some snobs needed a Vertu

There are always exceptions so I don't want to offend RM owners here but in general it's the same crowd that buys these watches. As long as it's expensive and even better if 'my friends know it's very expensive' than there will always be customers for it.
It's by far the most overpriced brand on the planet and their finishing is not even close to Patek or Lange. Concerning the more exotic materials they use, I agree but they are not more expensive than gold or platinum so WTF are you paying for ??

A perfect example
Years ago (don't know the reference) they made a tourbillon and asked 1 million for it ... 2 years or so later they made the same watch in a sapphire case and they asked an EXTRA MILLION. So 2 million for that watch
1 million for the case ???
Hublot and Bell & Ross make sapphire watches for 60K.
RM asks 1 million for the case

It's like ... Hey .. we make a 20K watch but ask 200K for it, wanne bet it sells ?

production price and list price is probably multiplied by 10 - 20
In RM's defense, per-unit production cost will be higher with very limited (<50) pieces since they can't spread the design or R&D costs as thinly. But in the other direction, many of their designs are very similar, and the quality issues suggest they don't do much prototyping.

High prices are a core part of their business model. Their purpose is to be the most expensive brand of sport watches. The large, distinctively-shaped cases are meant to make the brand identifiable. Their customers want people to notice how much they spent
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 07:01 AM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Name calling generally refers to insulting someone.

Which forum member did I insult by calling them a name? Or are you referring to me calling Bubba a chump? I didn't realize that Bubba is a forum member.
No, many members here own the watch and you are insulting them even if you think you are being indirect. Like I said tone it down, that kind of provocative language only leads to trouble and lowers the whole tone of the debate.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 10:41 AM   #83
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
They are fun for me to look at on posts here on TRF; but, I wouldn't want one. Not for me.
Old 2 December 2018, 04:03 PM   #84
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I really want to get into RM. I really do. But I don't like the games they play.
Very similar to Ferrari in terms of sales games. But what's more bothersome than with Ferrari is that RM himself is the first to admit he is not a watchmaker or an engineer. So I'd honestly be glad that you haven't gotten into RM, because there are many independent watchmakers and engineers who deserve your money far more than RM.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 11:16 PM   #85
PJ S
Banned

^
That’s not a valid excuse for skipping past any brand — Thierry Stern doesn’t assemble any Pateks!
RM contracts APRP (and Vaucher still?) which is exactly as it was way before most brandss/movement divisions and manufacturers were bought up and subsumed into a group.
Even Laurent Ferrier and Philippe Dufour subcontract various elements out to those with the expertise, investment in the necessary equipment, etc.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 02:09 AM   #86
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
That’s not a valid excuse for skipping past any brand — Thierry Stern doesn’t assemble any Pateks!
On the contrary, it's the best rationale when deciding which companies to give absurd amounts of money to. And at least Patek, Czapek, and Phillipe were watchmakers (in Phillipe's case, extraordinarily so).
Old 3 December 2018, 10:43 AM   #87
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Indeed, while it's not a valid excuse for completely skipping past any brand, these days given that many high end brands make their movements in house there's little excuse to not do so.

The olden ways of doing things is definitely not this way, but we're past that era now.

I still want a (new) Philippe Dufour, but that's impossible to get these days. No one else does it like that anymore. Most of the independents make their movements in house too, so cost isn't a valid excuse anymore.

The fact that much of what RM does is not in house does, indeed, bother me. I don't care that Richard Mille himself isn't a watchmaker (same as I don't care that the Sterns aren't watchmakers), but I do care about how much of the watch is built in-house.

I swore off RM a few years back, but I'm now feeling the itch again. :(

I realize I could get the in-house feel by going with one of his Tourbillons, but it's really the RM11, RM35, and RM55 that appeal to me. Unfortunately, those are the ones that also get flipped by the Tourbillon buyers and end up in the hands of gray market dealers.
Old 3 December 2018, 11:50 AM   #88
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I don't care that Richard Mille himself isn't a watchmaker (same as I don't care that the Sterns aren't watchmakers), but I do care about how much of the watch is built in-house.
To be clear, my issue isn't just that RM isn't a watchmaker. It's that he goes out of his way to admit that watchmaking and engineering is not and has never been at all his focus. This is why it's no surprise that RM's sales model is so unsavory.

I do fully agree with you that it's very difficult to justify handing over any significant sum of money for movements that aren't in-house.
Old 3 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #89
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
To be clear, my issue isn't just that RM isn't a watchmaker. It's that he goes out of his way to admit that watchmaking and engineering is not and has never been at all his focus. This is why it's no surprise that RM's sales model is so unsavory.

I do fully agree with you that it's very difficult to justify handing over any significant sum of money for movements that aren't in-house.
I could not agree more. :)
Old 3 December 2018, 02:14 PM   #90
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I love the watches, I hate the games. I understand the pieces aren’t for everyone.

More movements are being made in house. Despite the opinions- there isn’t a hotter brand on the market, and that’s just the facts.