The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2024, 08:41 AM   #1
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

New Speedmaster Dark Side?

Omega recently posted a teaser of what appears to be the new Dark Side of the Moon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000085308.jpg (19.3 KB, 683 views)
Cr_Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 10:23 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Saw this. Should be interesting.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 02:10 AM   #3
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

Its a revision to the Apollo 8. New movement, new dial finish, Apollo seconds hand and see through back with lunar surface finish.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...ollo-8/product
Old 17 January 2024, 02:13 AM   #4
raclaims
"TRF" Member

OK...the rocket for the small seconds hand is really cool...dammit...lol
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 02:16 AM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Wow...that's a huge MSRP boost. $10,700 to $14,300? The "improvements" hardly seem to justify that much of a bump, however, the movement is now Master Chronometer certified.

Glad I picked this up a month ago at the old MSRP and discount!
Old 17 January 2024, 02:29 AM   #6
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

As with the original Apollo 8, I am sure it must be seen in real to be able to appreciate it. Its intriguing but the pricing on these Omegas is getting up there even with a double digit discount.
Old 17 January 2024, 02:53 AM   #7
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The running second hand is very cool I have to say. But other than that no thank you. And as others have pointed out Omega prices have gotten ridiculous over the last year or so. Some models are up 20% in a year. I guess they are trying to position themselves as direct luxury rivals to Rolex. We'll see how it plays out in the next few years.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:24 AM   #8
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
The 'improved' moonscape looks good but I don't like the whimsical rocket. I have admired the original DSOTM since its release several years ago. Will probably pursue that previous reference used, and leave the update for others.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:31 AM   #9
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

I just purchased the older reference today. Crazy timing. I do like the new reference, but that’s a huge price increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PTCDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:34 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The running second hand is very cool I have to say. But other than that no thank you. And as others have pointed out Omega prices have gotten ridiculous over the last year or so. Some models are up 20% in a year. I guess they are trying to position themselves as direct luxury rivals to Rolex. We'll see how it plays out in the next few years.
The old one sits in boutiques and doesn’t sell for £10k. Not sure what’s here to make someone fork out another £3.5k personally.

It’s a great watch - I used to own one - but not at these prices. It’s getting a bit silly.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:36 AM   #11
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
The old one sits in boutiques and doesn’t sell for £10k. Not sure what’s here to make someone fork out another £3.5k personally.

It’s a great watch - I used to own one - but not at these prices. It’s getting a bit silly.
Agree. I used to own the apollo 8, very nice watch. Omega is very out of touch with their prices, just look at what BNIB Omega's at grey dealers go for compared to retail - several thousands off.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:50 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great looking reference but a little too busy for my taste
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:59 AM   #13
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

Agreed.

Maybe they are trying to make their other watches seem more reasonable I had thought the new yellow/black super racing was overpriced at 10K. Then I see the new Appolo 8 at 14K and my first thought was 'wow the Super Racing is a bargain'. Like a Jedi mind trick.

At least second hand values will be more fairly priced. I won't be first in line at the boutique to buy either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (185.2 KB, 496 views)
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 05:01 AM   #14
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

TBH if it was 40mm I'd have considered buying it at 14k =/
Old 17 January 2024, 05:09 AM   #15
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCDAD View Post
I just purchased the older reference today. Crazy timing. I do like the new reference, but that’s a huge price increase.

Congrats! Looks great

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 05:22 AM   #16
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Have to admit I did buy the super racing but that was before this came out!
Old 17 January 2024, 06:24 AM   #17
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Way overpriced and looks like old one with a rocket. At least put the spirate movement in it for that price.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 06:44 AM   #18
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

It really is a great watch, the thing is if you love it then you have made the right choice! Enjoy
Daytonaboy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 06:57 AM   #19
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Have to admit I did buy the super racing but that was before this came out!
You posted photos yet?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 07:08 AM   #20
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

This is nice
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 08:27 AM   #21
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
You posted photos yet?
I can’t remember lol but I can
Old 17 January 2024, 10:56 AM   #22
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Yea the rocket is super cool. Over $14k for a non PM Speedmaster on a strap seems like a lot.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 11:00 AM   #23
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

New Speedmaster Dark Side?

New version looks good.
Old 17 January 2024, 11:01 AM   #24
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
This is nice

I do like the newer version. It was due for an update, especially the movement. Over $14k is a little steep.

Old 17 January 2024, 11:46 AM   #25
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Congrats! Looks great

Thank you!

Old 17 January 2024, 10:47 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I posted the below in the posting on the new white Speedmaster.

Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 01:39 AM   #27
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I posted the below in the posting on the new white Speedmaster.

Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.
Agree with most of this William but I don't see the MoonSwatch as a fiasco or diminishing the brand. Not only with the Swatch group sell a ton of these, I believe it will wind up bringing more customers into the Omega boutiques to look at and purchase actual Moonwatches. Are there some hardcore enthusiasts that may have been bothered enough to leave the brand? Maybe. But I still think more people have been brought into Omega thanks to the MoonSwatch than have been driven away from it. It hopefully showed younger folks it's kind of fun to wear something other than a computer chip on their wrists. Like you I'm really hoping that white dial Speedy gets released. They will sell a bunch of those!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 03:49 AM   #28
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

While I'm happy Omega produced a cheaper watch via the moonswatch, I'm not happy with it's quality. For the price, it's an absolutely terrible watch. At least use some quality materials in the Moonswatch to convince people that the more expensive Omegas are worth the price!

Regarding the new DSOTM, I think it will not be successful given the price. When it falls to the current A8 used prices, I think more people will be trying this one on.
Old 18 January 2024, 05:28 AM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I do like the newer version. It was due for an update, especially the movement. Over $14k is a little steep.

It seems like a big ask.
But maybe to an Apollo space nut, the extra detail on the dial of the new watch is worth it and not just the dial, the execution of just about everything on the front is excellent and better than anything else they have done in this genera.
Does it come with a loupe?
It needs one in order to fully appreciate it
I know I was a little underwhelmed by the first DSOTM when viewing the dial as it seemed a little gimicky.
All things considered, maybe 14k is the right price for a watch with this level of detail?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 05:45 AM   #30
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It seems like a big ask.
But maybe to an Apollo space nut, the extra detail on the dial of the new watch is worth it and not just the dial, the execution of just about everything on the front is excellent and better than anything else they have done in this genera.
Does it come with a loupe?
It needs one in order to fully appreciate it
I know I was a little underwhelmed by the first DSOTM when viewing the dial as it seemed a little gimicky.
All things considered, maybe 14k is the right price for a watch with this level of detail?
Kind of makes one wonder if the 50th Snoopy is under valued. It's got a lot going for it too, and is nearly $4k less expensive.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsotm , omega , speedmaster