The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 February 2021, 02:18 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Question for Seiko H558 owners

Hello Folks,

I have a question for folks that own the original seiko arnie. I have the new arnie and enjoy it, but have small wrists.

I have been thinking of sourcing a good condition original seiko arnie and though would like to find one NOS, that's like finding a needle in a haystack. So my question is, how robust are the originals with regard to being worn daily? I use the chrono all the time and need to refer to the date, etc. So, functionality, and having a fully working watch is key for me. Also, is servicing them challenging (i.e. can Seiko do this or only independents) or finding parts difficult? Any help is appreciated.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:39 AM   #2
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
These watches were designed at the time to be worn daily and used a tool watch. Servicing them shouldn't be an issue with an independent that is good with analog/digital watches.

I would think you can find one to wear daily but I would have it fully serviced first. They've gone up in value so I would say be prepared to spend @ $500 for a nice one. The rarer orange is awesome! You can find parts on eBay. I have the vintage Baby Arnie but the analog crapped out. My watchmaker said it needed a full overhaul cause it was all gummed up. Didn't feel like spending the money.

So I would go for it! Just service first. Its nice to see someone want to use one of these as intended!

On a side note, I have a collection of Casio AMW-320 series. Very cool rugged watches. Nice size too for my 7" wrist. Check one out! Much cheaper, but great tool watch and Arnie wore one too in Kindergarten Cop
Old 27 February 2021, 06:03 AM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
These watches were designed at the time to be worn daily and used a tool watch. Servicing them shouldn't be an issue with an independent that is good with analog/digital watches.

I would think you can find one to wear daily but I would have it fully serviced first. They've gone up in value so I would say be prepared to spend @ $500 for a nice one. The rarer orange is awesome! You can find parts on eBay. I have the vintage Baby Arnie but the analog crapped out. My watchmaker said it needed a full overhaul cause it was all gummed up. Didn't feel like spending the money.

So I would go for it! Just service first. Its nice to see someone want to use one of these as intended!

On a side note, I have a collection of Casio AMW-320 series. Very cool rugged watches. Nice size too for my 7" wrist. Check one out! Much cheaper, but great tool watch and Arnie wore one too in Kindergarten Cop

Thanks for that. I am seeing some on eBay and c24 going north of 1000.00 USD. I’m not picky about service parts because i intent to wear it, but looks like I’m going to have to pony up for something in good condition.
Old 27 February 2021, 08:13 AM   #4
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Thanks for that. I am seeing some on eBay and c24 going north of 1000.00 USD. I’m not picky about service parts because i intent to wear it, but looks like I’m going to have to pony up for something in good condition.
A $1,000.00? Wow! They have gone up!

To be honest, in my opinion, it'd be a hard pass for that kind of cheddar

I'd go G-Shock GWM5610-1 Same size, indestructible and perfect for your uses. I know, not an Arnie
Old 27 February 2021, 10:29 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch but I would not spend the money required to acquire one nor service it. There are a lot of great options in the market and the new Arnie is one of them. I own four of them. G-Shock is also an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190909_080820 (002).jpg (132.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20200606_143247 (002).jpg (195.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20200606_065556 (002).jpg (202.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20200803_095241 (002).jpg (207.6 KB, 112 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:44 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great watch but I would not spend the money required to acquire one nor service it. There are a lot of great options in the market and the new Arnie is one of them. I own four of them. G-Shock is also an option.
I really am thinking about the SNJ029! As you allude to, I am concerned about the service and reliability of a vintage watch. I am the kind of person that picks one watch for the day, and that watch better be able to endure what ever comes. Thats true of my rolex watches and my seikos. So, I dont want to have to pamper the watch or even think about it for that matter. I do have the SNJ028, and wear it doing anything and never worry. The new arnie also have the benefit of not having to worry about the battery, which unlike some reissues, is a real functional improvement over the original watch.

I also have gshocks, but there are two main reasons why the arnie is most appealing and get more of my wrist time. I constantly use the bezel to time things at home and as part of my job (or use it as a reminder, say set it to 2:00 to remind me of a meeting) and the same for a chrono. The bezel serves as a timer with the convenience of not having to cycle through various functions; you simply twist it. I use the chrono all the time as part of my job. Now, with the seiko arnie, the chrono buttons are large and can be engaged easily. I had (gave it to my son) the gshock 5610 (negative screen) and the buttons had to be depressed with my finger nail. That works if one uses the chrono once in a while, but I sometimes engage and disengage the chrono a dozen times a day.
Old 1 March 2021, 04:28 PM   #7
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I have owned both and the original Arnie feels inferior compared to the newer one to me. Besides the cost of the original Arnie's parts are getting scarce. This movement was not interchangeable with other models if I recall.

I would stick with the newer one personally.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 09:49 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I have owned both and the original Arnie feels inferior compared to the newer one to me. Besides the cost of the original Arnie's parts are getting scarce. This movement was not interchangeable with other models if I recall.

I would stick with the newer one personally.
I appreciate your feedback, as I never handled the original before, and I don’t want to wear something like that and feel I have to pamper the watch. I also appreciate your being objective about the old versus new. People tend to get clouded by nostalgia, and always see the new piece as inferior.
Old 2 March 2021, 04:36 AM   #9
Haveapair
Banned

My H558 is one of my beaters
Haveapair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:30 PM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveapair View Post
My H558 is one of my beaters
Thats great. Have you found it hard to source parts and get it serviced over the years? Also, if you have seen the new arnie, how do you think the old and new compare in the flesh?
Old 3 March 2021, 01:50 PM   #11
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats great. Have you found it hard to source parts and get it serviced over the years? Also, if you have seen the new arnie, how do you think the old and new compare in the flesh?
You can't get parts for them anymore. They are unavailable.
Old 4 March 2021, 09:33 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
You can't get parts for them anymore. They are unavailable.
That scares me away from an original. But I do see them out there on c24 and eBay and they are in working order. I can’t imagine they all have original movements. How are they sourcing parts for them or do you think they are aftermarket (non seiko parts)?
Old 5 March 2021, 10:38 AM   #13
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That scares me away from an original. But I do see them out there on c24 and eBay and they are in working order. I can’t imagine they all have original movements. How are they sourcing parts for them or do you think they are aftermarket (non seiko parts)?
I bet they all do have original movements. At one time you could new coils for them and the circuit board. That is not the case anymore. You can't even get a new shroud for them.

There is some aftermarket parts for them. Whether or not they are good I can not tell you that.