The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 July 2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Dcormsby
Banned

Watch: Seadweller 50th
Scam alert: Fltimepiece aka Emma L Hurd

SCAMMER: Emma Hurd Took $5600 via wire from me for a no date ceramic sub and received nothing.

I've been buying and selling on the forums as a hobby for over 15 years. In all that time, I've always traded with upstanding, amazing people, until now.

Fltimepiece aka Emma Hurd is a con artist and a scammer. Guy seemed to be legit. He's been a member over a year, seemed to have references. I sent wire on Tuesday for a 114060 he had listed. Gave me excuses for 2 days why he couldn't send the watch. He has now stopped all communication with me.

$5600 I will never get back, and has set me back to where it will be YEARS before I will have that kind of money to trade again.

Here is his info:

Name: Emma. L. Hurd
Bank name: US. BANK
Routine No: 042000013
Accnt No: 3012189881601
Bank Address: North Hamilton Meijer
CN-OH-2346
5050 N Hamilton Rd
Columbus, OH 43230

He also talked to me once on the telephone
(513) 878-1331

This has to stop.

Remember the name Emma L Hurd, emails change but names for accounts do not.

Respectfully submitted, Damon
[Report message to a moderator]
Dcormsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Is Emma a man or woman? Is it possible the acct. was hijacked?
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:42 AM   #3
marcusjcw21
Banned

Watch: Rolex 2 tone 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Emma is usually a woman's name of course. Not unusual for scammers to put a business in the name of a new girlfriend or wife.

If OP did a wire transfer, then the bank has done its due diligence on the person who opened the account. If they were legit and went to the dark side, law enforcement can help... if the account were opened in a real person's name.

Could be that the guy opened the business in girlfriend's name, they broke up, he still has the business and went to the dark side. When the cops or FBI contact her, she will be glad to help.

Or it could be identity theft. But if she used her photo on the fake id used to open the account, then they can run it through the database. I know that I read that the Nevada DMV for instance has software that has allowed them to catch people who have multiple Nevada IDs or are attempting to get a new Nevada ID/Driver's License due to facial recognition. You can bet that the FBI has some good facial recognition software. I hope it turns out well for you.

If the person gets caught, the person will have to pay restitution upon any plea bargain or conviction or they will face probation revocation. I believe that if you contact the FBI and local law enforcement where they are located, you will get your money back... maybe slowly in the form of restitution checks from the state, but that's better than nothing.
marcusjcw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:16 AM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear this about an apparent "sleeper scammer". Did you see prior sales by, or feedback in Who's Who, fltimepiece? I haven't researched that user yet.

There is a slim chance that person "Emma" has met with some serious problem - yes I know I'm an optimist for your sake. Did you get a home address for the beneficiary?

Just to clarify, the bank performing an outgoing wire has no duty to validate the person who opened the bank account (aka the beneficiary) on the receiving end. The outgoing bank only verifies that funds are being routed to valid ABA/Swift institution number. In this case, US Bank would be responsible to verify that the Acct. # 3012189881601 is open.

Also, LEO have no role in restitution. Even if they recover that much cash from the perpetrator, it goes into evidence.

The Courts would award restitution via a criminal proceeding, or a civil suit (if the OP filed one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:17 AM   #5
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Scam alert: Fltimepiece aka Emma L Hurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post

Good question - that has happened before.
Plus, the bank acct could have also been hijacked to fetch the funds. Emma Hurd (if that's a real name) may not even know the funds flowed in. They could already be routed outbound to a foreign account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 23 July 2016, 02:29 AM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. Best of luck getting your watch and/or money back.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 02:39 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcormsby View Post
SCAMMER:

Fltimepiece aka Emma Hurd is a con artist and a scammer. Guy seemed to be legit. He's been a member over a year, seemed to have references.
Damon
I don't find a TRF member named Fltimepiece or fltimepiece here on TRF. Where did you see this person on the forum?

Old 23 July 2016, 05:59 AM   #8
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Damon
I don't find a TRF member named Fltimepiece or fltimepiece here on TRF. Where did you see this person on the forum?
Looks like he just copy/pasted his original message from TZ, where "fltimepiece" still appears to be a member (and not banned).
Could be a possible account hijack. To me the "FL" in the name hints at the user being in Florida, but the bank and phone number are in Ohio.

Also, I've said it before: Among other steps taken when vetting buyers/sellers, you should run their phone number through a database checker like http://www.phonevalidator.com
This will tell you the origin and carrier for the number. If it comes back as a Skype/Voip number, or any carrier known to port numbers for Google Voice (Bandwidth.com, Level 3 Communications, etc.), that is a huge red flag IMO.

I just ran the number above and it does come back as:

"LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS - POSSIBLE SKYPE, VONAGE OR OTHER VOIP PHONE".
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:30 AM   #9
Dcormsby
Banned

This was on Timezone. I have contacted them, and they have since deleted his / her account.
Old 24 July 2016, 01:39 AM   #10
Dcormsby
Banned

It's a shame. When I saw his year + membership on the forums and postings and references, he seemed legit. Plus, the price for the watch wasn't "too good to be true." I also did a google image search for the images and didn't see where he had snagged them from anywhere.

Was super responsive, even after the wire....just kept making excuses the days following saying he couldn't make it to Fedex to send the watch. When I threatened a police report, and telling him wire fraud is a federal crime, he responded saying he would refund money, which he hasn't. I am in law enforcement, and will do everything in my power to follow through, and make sure he doesn't do this to anyone else, and he spends quite a bit of time in jail. It might take a while, but eventually, it catches up with all of them.

Damon
Old 24 July 2016, 01:52 AM   #11
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

Good luck with getting your funds returned.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote