The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2021, 10:46 PM   #1
EagleArmsHBAR
"TRF" Member

I want a turtle, but I don't know which one to get.

For some reason I a drawn to the Seiko Turtle models, but when I see the new production models in the store, they all seem gigantic to me. I want one, but maybe I should be looking at a vintage piece. Is there a particular model number I should look for to purchase?

I usually wear a 5 didget submariner or GMT, but rotate in a Tudor BB and Omega SMP. I'd like it not to be wider than the SMP that I wear because that seems big to me.
EagleArmsHBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR View Post
For some reason I a drawn to the Seiko Turtle models, but when I see the new production models in the store, they all seem gigantic to me. I want one, but maybe I should be looking at a vintage piece. Is there a particular model number I should look for to purchase?

I usually wear a 5 didget submariner or GMT, but rotate in a Tudor BB and Omega SMP. I'd like it not to be wider than the SMP that I wear because that seems big to me.
So I have small wrists (6.5 inches) and yes the turtle is large, but lug to lug is less than my 5 digit submariner and far less than the average gshock. It’s the lug to lug when it hangs over ones wrist that make a watch too large. Once it fits within the confines of the wrist, the diameter is a matter of preference. The watch proportionally is very similar to the original. The watch was big for it’s time and it’s still large, they are tool watches. That said, when I got my turtle and the reason I was drawn to the turtle is that compare to the other seiko models at the time it had the smallest lug to lug. Second, I liked the shape. Many other seiko divers (and others) have the basic submariner look, and given I had one wanted something different. For me, that was the regular turtle with a navy dial (as my sub is black). I wanted a watch in line with their tool watch heritage and so while I like the king turtles and the limited versions did not go in for those.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:26 PM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Did you actually put a Turtle on your wrist? To me, they wear smaller than their stated size, especially as compared to a Rolex. I have a 6.5 inch wrist and the Turtle fits fine.

I think the Turtles sit flatter than the Samurai, but those are similar if you want to compare.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 02:19 AM   #4
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

FWIW - I have a 6.5 inch wrist and went with the PADI mini turtle. It states 42.3 mm but wears like my Sub, except the slight height difference at 13 mm. I’ve noticed the various mini turtle models are getting harder to come by but they do appear in various forums and on eBay.

Have fun shopping! Looking forward to that incoming.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 04:45 AM   #5
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Here’s a King Turtle and Willard in the Turtle Family vs Sumo then vs 40mm Submariner. I’m about 6.5 to 6.75
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 04:10 PM   #6
WBaileyii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/126610LV
SRP777 gets my vote for modern. 6306-7000/7001 for vintage.
WBaileyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 12:20 PM   #7
jclaraperea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116519
SRPE39K1

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro
jclaraperea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 12:21 PM   #8
jclaraperea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116519
I want a turtle, but I don't know which one to get.

Im happy with my new diver.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro
jclaraperea is offline   Reply With Quote