The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Like it or no
Like 210 79.85%
What were they thinking? 53 20.15%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 March 2016, 08:35 PM   #1
KarlS
Banned

Poll: Patek 5930 Worldtime Chrono

A simple poll. Do you like or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.4 KB, 1262 views)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 08:39 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

Courtesy of Monochrome and others
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.7 KB, 1260 views)
Old 19 March 2016, 09:23 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A beautiful watch and dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 09:48 PM   #4
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Absolutely love it. I wasn't convinced when I first saw the stock photo, but I had a feeling it was going to look so much better once live photos came in.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I love it as nobody does dials like Patek Philippe! Especially blue!
Old 19 March 2016, 10:25 PM   #6
el1125
Banned

el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I really like it. As with most Pateks, this probably looks much better in the metal.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 11:29 PM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
First sight not but extremly slowly growing on me ,need to see in flesh

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 11:43 PM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
A very busy dial but I think I like it
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 11:45 PM   #10
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Loving it
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 11:57 PM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
My favorite world time.
Old 20 March 2016, 12:00 AM   #12
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
A very busy dial but I think I like it
+1
Old 20 March 2016, 12:02 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The life pics are so much better than the pics on the Ptek website. Can forsee myself loving to own one if price is not a barrier ( but it is ). Only gripe is 40mm is a bit too small for this watch with a very busy dial.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:10 AM   #14
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I love the shape of the case and wish this was used for their 5170. Guilloche dial is amazing but the piece IMO is very busy. I like the fact that they are paying respect to an old reference but a World Timer and Chrono combined seems like a bit of overkill.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:11 AM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

Not for me--but I'm not a World Timer fan in general.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:22 AM   #16
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

A pointless exercise of combining two complications. It feels like one of those games you play at an airport restaurant when your flight's been delayed. Pick any two that you've never tried before (but probably for good reason). It's possibly useful if you're an attorney timing calls with international clients, but it's aesthetically a mess.

I'm not sure whether Patek have lost their design team but with this and the 5524 you get a strong sense they gave up and went home early without really trying to design anything worth while. If they can design watches as beautiful as the 5270 with all its complications, why turn out a dog's breakfast when you know you can do better?
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:26 AM   #17
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
A pointless exercise of combining two complications. It feels like one of those games you play at an airport restaurant when your flight's been delayed. Pick any two that you've never tried before (but probably for good reason). It's possibly useful if you're an attorney timing calls with international clients, but it's aesthetically a mess.

I'm not sure whether Patek have lost their design team but with this and the 5524 you get a strong sense they gave up and went home early without really trying to design anything worth while. If they can design watches as beautiful as the 5270 with all its complications, why turn out a dog's breakfast when you know you can do better?
They did try this before it's not knew. But then the vast majority of complications are useless in every day life
Old 20 March 2016, 12:33 AM   #18
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but I just think PP is expanding upon their offerings. In the past they have been perceived as the classic old man's dress watch. Dont get me wrong or take offense because I love their classic pieces and have my eye on a few but we are living in a more casual society so PP needs to have some offerings in their catalog aside from the Nautilus and Aquanaut lines that can be dressed down and appeal to other clients like the 5524, 5960/1A, 5905, 5930 and 5235.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:43 AM   #19
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

You can be modern like FP Journe or go further to Richard Mille, and in both those cases they offer a great sense of design and in the case of Mille interesting materials. Both have very strong and distinctive design languages that can't be mistaken for any other watch brand.

Outside of the classics, and I include the Nautilus in this, I don't think Patek either knows how to move forward with its design language or is afraid to take that step.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 01:07 AM   #20
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Outside of the classics, and I include the Nautilus in this, I don't think Patek either knows how to move forward with its design language or is afraid to take that step.
I think you're spot on.
Old 20 March 2016, 01:18 AM   #21
martinr
"TRF" Member

Agree with Le Chef and also think a few new designs like the new world timer/chrono and the pilot watch last year aren't going to do much in terms of getting Patek to a younger or new audience. The delay in getting them to market is ridiculous, it's been a year and you can't even see the pilot watch at an AD and it's not a new movement at all. By the time this world timer/chrono rolls out at 73K all the buzz will be gone and after waiting a year to buy a watch with a new movement knowing Pateks QC challenges and the long wait for service or repair I'm sure I'll be interested in something else by then.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 01:38 AM   #22
KarlS
Banned

I think that's the beauty of different tastes. If we all liked the same the waiting list would be infinite!! I am a big fan of the new steps PP is taking even if it isn't always perfect. It does try cater to a broad range of customers. Look at the breadth of models and choices. It's not like 2 brands I can think of who have a single looking watch that they invigorate by new new colors, new materials and association with a celebrity!! How many times can you change a dial Colour on a nautilus or let me guess we will have a WG 5164 in 2018!! Yaawwwn!! With PP moving in the direction they are I am getting much more excited about the brand.

As for the 5524 I heard they are scarce (yippee) but I have had one for over a month and the 5930 is slotted for October delivery and the mock up at my AD on 12/5 for my viewing. If you need my AD's details PM me.
Old 20 March 2016, 01:46 AM   #23
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan but I can understand the appeal to some. The cloisonné world timers are absolute smash hits, the 5170 is also rock solid, but the combination of the two in white gold? What is the market for this watch? If I had $75k to spend on a watch then I would spend the extra $30k to move up and get the cloisonné dial.

Regarding their recent designs; the cautionary tale of JLC should be considered; or perhaps in October we'll be seeing the PVD Army Rangers Incursion Nautilus collection....
Old 20 March 2016, 01:51 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

I think Patek (like most brands today) have to start thinking outside the box to appeal to new/younger buyers. The market is crowded and attention span is getting shorter.

The diehard Patek lovers don't want to see change, but rest assured if they don't start to change in the coming years (new innovative designs and materials), they will lose market share to others. The younger crowd could careless about a 175 year history or 'passing down to generations'--they want new, fun, unique, innovative pieces. Hell so do I and I'm not young.

Hope the 40th brings some of this...but not holding my breath.
Old 20 March 2016, 01:58 AM   #25
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I think Patek (like most brands today) have to start thinking outside the box to appeal to new/younger buyers. The market is crowded and attention span is getting shorter.

The diehard Patek lovers don't want to see change, but rest assured if they don't start to change in the coming years (new innovative designs and materials), they will lose market share to others. The younger crowd could careless about a 175 year history or 'passing down to generations'--they want new, fun, unique, innovative pieces. Hell so do I and I'm not young.

Hope the 40th brings some of this...but not holding my breath.
Agree 100%
Old 20 March 2016, 02:32 AM   #26
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I think it is a beautiful piece. The dial is gorgeous. I do not see why so much critique combining a chrono with a world timer. Both are useful complications and should be considered independent functions. I commonly have conference calls with folks on different continents and I like to time things.. Perhaps not at the same time. Why ever have a moon phase on a watch? Does anyone really use a moon phase? How many manufactures make a GMT/chrono (e.g. Patel 5990) or an annual calendar chrono (Patek 5960). My only concern is the writing will be too small to make it a practical watch for someone with middle aged eyes.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 02:37 AM   #27
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Look at the poll results - it's only the minority who think this is not a good watch.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 02:50 AM   #28
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I think it is a beautiful piece. The dial is gorgeous. I do not see why so much critique combining a chrono with a world timer. Both are useful complications and should be considered independent functions. I commonly have conference calls with folks on different continents and I like to time things.. Perhaps not at the same time. Why ever have a moon phase on a watch? Does anyone really use a moon phase? How many manufactures make a GMT/chrono (e.g. Patel 5990) or an annual calendar chrono (Patek 5960). My only concern is the writing will be too small to make it a practical watch for someone with middle aged eyes.

I have resolved that issue!! To justify the purchase I am going for LASIK and that is the truth!
Old 20 March 2016, 03:04 AM   #29
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Growing on me, though it looks awfully like the FC world timer. Like the case and dimensions more than the hands.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 03:14 AM   #30
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Poll: Patek 5930 Worldtime Chrono

As for appealing to the younger buyer, is it realistic to assume 20-somethings are buying (or will buy) Patek watches? I certainly didn't. I didn't even know what Patek was when I started out. I progressed through Tag, Rolex (and still do), Panerai, BP, JLC, and many more before I got to the point when I wanted (and began to appreciate) Patek. And while it cost more money this way, it all was part of the journey.

I also think that the younger generation, when they get older and are in the financial position to buy nice things like a luxury watch, that they very well may gravitate to Patek. But at the same time, I see no risk in putting out more pieces like the 5930 to start to lure them in, too. It's not like the watch is THAT controversial, IMHO.

Tags
5930 , basel 2016 , chrono , patek