The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Coroner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub N/D
Spring pin strength

How much force, psi, or torque can a spring bar on a sub take? Could wearing the watch too tight and then flexing of your wrist ever create enough force to cause pin damage?
Coroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2010, 11:45 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coroner View Post
How much force, psi, or torque can a spring bar on a sub take? Could wearing the watch too tight and then flexing of your wrist ever create enough force to cause pin damage?
I would most seriously doubt it a few years back I was left dangling over the side of a dive boat.My SD bracelet got caught up it held my almost 15 stone weight for several minutes before lug pin failed.And a good job it did watch was lost to the abyss but I still got my wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2010, 11:51 PM   #3
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Cheap pins will bend, and break easily. The major brands tend to have more solid pins that handle plenty of abuse. Your Rolex should have strong ones from the factory. Don't go cheap!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 03:01 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
SEL's capture the main body of your spring-bar, so bending is unliikely at the SEL... the strength then, relies on the shear strength of the pivot pin at the end of the bar..

on an SEL that pin diameter is .88mm, and the shear strength could probably be found for a ss rod of that small diameter.. On the lug-hole cases the spring bar pivot is 1.2mm, but because the non-SEL capture tube is narrower than the capture area of an SEL, there is likely to be some flex of the bar..

The bracelet is most likely to fail at the connection point of the bracelet/clasp rivet where torsional loads would be highest.......
Old 23 January 2010, 04:27 AM   #5
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Watchmaker at this forum recently said this on a thread where different questions where asked to him in his capacity as a Rolex watchmaker:

"I will say though, with a new set of springbars installed, I have seen a SD support 120Kg of weight. Not an official test I must ad. But I saw it with my own eyes."

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Coroner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub N/D
Thanks for all the informative responses.
Coroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
These replies are good news, I was a little worried. I bent the ends of both of my springbars putting on a NATO strap.....didn't seem like much force was exerted at all.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
These replies are good news, I was a little worried. I bent the ends of both of my springbars putting on a NATO strap.....didn't seem like much force was exerted at all.
NATO's do not capture the main body of the spring bar... enough force and you can tear the spring-bar body at the ends where the pivots are inserted and rip the spring-bar off the watch..

Original issue watches for NATO style straps had solidly welded bars...
Old 2 December 2011, 09:47 AM   #9
fadeawaybfa
"TRF" Member

I think the weakest of a bracelet is the rivet of the clasp
fadeawaybfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 12:06 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
SEL's capture the main body of your spring-bar, so bending is unliikely at the SEL... the strength then, relies on the shear strength of the pivot pin at the end of the bar..

on an SEL that pin diameter is .88mm, and the shear strength could probably be found for a ss rod of that small diameter.. On the lug-hole cases the spring bar pivot is 1.2mm, but because the non-SEL capture tube is narrower than the capture area of an SEL, there is likely to be some flex of the bar..

The bracelet is most likely to fail at the connection point of the bracelet/clasp rivet where torsional loads would be highest.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
NATO's do not capture the main body of the spring bar... enough force and you can tear the spring-bar body at the ends where the pivots are inserted and rip the spring-bar off the watch..

Original issue watches for NATO style straps had solidly welded bars...
I understand that if the NATO is narrower than the lug width but otherwise if properly sized it covers the whole spring bar and the force evenly distributed what s the difference then between Nato vs bracelet end link or leather strap?thanks

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 02:33 PM   #11
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
A friend of mine was Wind Surfing and caught his Strap on a fixture of the Sail. The Strap broke(he thinks)or the Spring Pin. All he heard was "Blub" A Rolex will Not Float ! Have a Watch Maker inspect your Pins every so often. Don't wait for the five year service.
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote