The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #31
zionsd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16610v View Post
That's the point, would this matter to OP since gloss dial with surrounds look doesnt belongs to vintage at all.
1984 transitional gloss dial/tritium/open 6 and 9s datewheel is 35 years old and is definitely vintage now, people need to understand that matte and acrylic is no longer the only thing vintage in rolex now.... So in 5 years when its 40 years old you still going to say gloss dial is not vintage?
zionsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:58 PM   #32
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleybuzz View Post
As i wrote in my previous post, Rolex does no longer give information out regarding the production year based on serial numbers.

It seems i really need to pass on that opportunity with a heavy heart to go with the 823XXXX GMT Master since there are more indicators it is from 1983 rather than 1984 and similar to what offrdmania wrote, i found out that you're pretty safe by going with something between 8.38-8.61.

No point in getting a 'heavy heart' about some numbers (except bank balance).
As you've been told several times, they're just estimates anyway. There are no more 'ideas' about it. Exact birth year isn't important or meaningful - the integrity and condition of the watch is.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:01 PM   #33
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
But then again, I don’t see the point in birth year watches. I understand you have this goal but no one can guarantee this for you, as others have stated. It’s more important to have a nice watch from as close as possible ( which you seem to have found). Or , I guess, you can keep trying to fool yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly.
Old 21 February 2019, 08:42 AM   #34
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionsd View Post
1984 transitional gloss dial/tritium/open 6 and 9s datewheel is 35 years old and is definitely vintage now, people need to understand that matte and acrylic is no longer the only thing vintage in rolex now.... So in 5 years when its 40 years old you still going to say gloss dial is not vintage?
Old 21 February 2019, 11:40 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
If I read correctly, open date wheels are now one of the parameters to consider when defining vintage?

Sorry, but not for me.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:54 AM   #36
zionsd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
If I read correctly, open date wheels are now one of the parameters to consider when defining vintage?

Sorry, but not for me.
Its ok everybody has their opinion, But do you agree that a gloss/shappire model that is 35 years old today is not considered vintage?
zionsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:29 PM   #37
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

serial number on clasp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Mine is 1983, and I am pretty sure from the research I have done. My clasp code is H which is 1983

Look at your clasp code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:40 PM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Its ok everybody has their opinion, But do you agree that a gloss/shappire model that is 35 years old today is not considered vintage?
I consider the older sapphire models classics and the plastic crystal models vintage. An exception for me would be the Sub 16800 with matte dial and sapphire crystal which I consider vintage.

The only thing that really matters to me when I go watch shopping is the price and condition - not whether someone calls it vintage, classic or whatever.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:40 PM   #39
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
serial number on clasp!
I just saw that recently, the number is 5497998. Do you think that is a case serial? If so this clasp was on a different watch at some point.
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote