The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Hands90
"TRF" Member

New Ploprof - Seals / Omega Warranty

Bought a new Ploprof 2018 but it was a display model.
22432552104001 or 224.32.55.21.04.001

That said it has a warranty with 2 remaining years. Now this is unworn and sold as new but how concerned if at all should I be about the seals?

Does Omega do free pressure testing say in New York boutique?
Should I be concerned about the seals?

Now I already can hear the comments about every 2 years and how it has to be tested. If I bought this from an Omega boutique new then I shouldn't be concerned about the seals even though it's been siting in the store for an extended time.

What do you guys think?
Can you use the warranty to have them check the seals?
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No, the warranty doesn't generally include checking stuff just to look.

It's pretty unlikely that the seals are compromised on a relatively new, and unused, watch, especially a robust diver.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:53 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
... Now this is unworn and sold as new ...
I doubt the seals in your new Omega are at risk.

I'm more concerned about the warranty. I'm pretty sure an unworn, new Omega with Caliber 8500 purchased from an Authorized Dealer should carry a warranty of four full years from the date of purchase. Lots of watches are placed into display cases, but their warranty periods don't begin just because of this!

If your warranty card is dated from a date two years ago, this could be a sign the watch was retailed once already, and then taken back by the dealer. I recommend that you phone Omega Customer Service at its toll-free number on its web site and ask them to confirm that you truly are the first owner of the watch, and to tell you what the correct warranty policy is.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I doubt the seals in your new Omega are at risk.

I'm more concerned about the warranty. I'm pretty sure an unworn, new Omega with Caliber 8500 purchased from an Authorized Dealer should carry a warranty of four full years from the date of purchase. Lots of watches are placed into display cases, but their warranty periods don't begin just because of this!

If your warranty card is dated from a date two years ago, this could be a sign the watch was retailed once already, and then taken back by the dealer. I recommend that you phone Omega Customer Service at its toll-free number on its web site and ask them to confirm that you truly are the first owner of the watch, and to tell you what the correct warranty policy is.
This is really interesting. I did not buy from an AD I did buy from an online dealer though so I would assume he is the first owner.
I'll know more once I get the watch in tomorrow and i can check the date on the cards.
He said 24 months. I'll update here when I get them.
Old 24 July 2018, 07:01 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
This is really interesting. I did not buy from an AD I did buy from an online dealer though so I would assume he is the first owner.
I'll know more once I get the watch in tomorrow and i can check the date on the cards.
He said 24 months. I'll update here when I get them.
Ah, I see. Perhaps I misunderstood the sentence in your original post where there is mention of buying a display watch from an Omega Boutique.

Sounds like it was sold by Omega to a private re-seller, in which case the Omega warrant would have started at that time. Makes sense.

As an answer to your initial question: yes, Omega does recommend that a watch used for diving should be pressure-tested every two years, but no, this is not covered under the warranty for faulty materials or workmanship.

That said, if you walked upstairs to the Service Center in Omega's Boutique on 5th Ave. in Manhattan and said that you love taking your PloProf diving, and you would like to follow their advice to have it checked for water resistance because it's two years old now, then I would be surprised if they didn't just do it for free.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Ah, I see. Perhaps I misunderstood the sentence in your original post where there is mention of buying a display watch from an Omega Boutique.

Sounds like it was sold by Omega to a private re-seller, in which case the Omega warrant would have started at that time. Makes sense.

As an answer to your initial question: yes, Omega does recommend that a watch used for diving should be pressure-tested every two years, but no, this is not covered under the warranty for faulty materials or workmanship.

That said, if you walked upstairs to the Service Center in Omega's Boutique on 5th Ave. in Manhattan and said that you love taking your PloProf diving, and you would like to follow their advice to have it checked for water resistance because it's two years old now, then I would be surprised if they didn't just do it for free.
Thank you. I'll give it a shot when the watch comes in.
Old 24 July 2018, 07:15 AM   #7
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Could you post some pics please? Love this version.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 01:15 AM   #8
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Old 26 July 2018, 12:29 PM   #9
WJGESQ
Banned

Love the Ploprof.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Wahlberg