The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 February 2019, 09:18 AM   #1
john_f
"TRF" Member

Re-luming 5513

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first post. In my possession is a Meters First 5513 that I am looking to have serviced / restored due to degradation of the tritium in the minute hand (flaking onto the dial). Taking into consideration daily wear-ability and value, would you recommend a relume for the hands from a reputable shop over leaving as is? The missing lume is a bit of an eye-sore and I worry about additional flaking given the watch is worn daily, but would usually tend to prefer keeping everything original.

Additionally, what are your thoughts on replacing the original T19 crystal? Assuming I keep the watch away from any water, is there substantial risk to this as opposed to replacing with a service crystal? Would prefer to keep the original dome profile but want to consider the risk this exposes the dial to as well.

Thank you for any thoughts!
john_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Hub6152
Banned

Why not try sourcing another handset rather than have the existing ones relumed. Unless a watchmaker has access to Tritium powder they’ll most likely use modern luminous material which will react to light and look out of place. Some watchmakers use paint which whilst not technically correct can at least colour match and pass a casual inspection.

As for the T19 why do you want to replace it? If it’s scratched then careful use of 2500 and 3000grit wet & dry paper can get deep scratches out followed by a metal polish cream or polywatch to finish off. Restore rather than replace for me any day!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote