The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 June 2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
New to Panerai, need advice

I am new to this watch collecting thing but the last 6 - 7 months I've collected a few time pieces from Rolex to Seiko automatic. I am looking to get one Penarai watch 42 mm, in-house movement, popular and reliable, must be automatic with strap leather. I am completely clueless with PAM serial system, I've look at Panerai Luminor 1950 but would like to learn more about this brand before I take a plunge. Do you have any advice for the newbie? Any trusted seller on here you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Unless your wrists are tiny I wouldn't recommend getting a 42mm, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Panerai IMO. You should go for at least a 44mm which most people can pull off. Panerai are meant to wear big, it's a big watch so don't worry too much about that.

I myself went with the PAM 312 as my first and current only Panerai. I feel it encompassed all the keys elements of what your first panerai should have, sandwich dial, sub seconds, Crown guard, 1950 cushion case and in house automatic movement. I'm very happy with my choice but there are plenty of choices. It will come down to what your budget allows you too. The radiomir case is also very nice. But the luminor has the quick and fantastically easy to change strap system.

Take a look at the panerai website for starters and see what takes your fancy, the best thing you can do is to try a few on at an AD and see what really sings to you. Pictures can only do so much.

Hope that gives you something to think about.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Minimalist - thank you for your insight information. I've tried 42mm and it look okay, I have 6" wrist and I afraid 44mm is too big. I didn't attempt to try it on but next time I will.
Old 12 June 2016, 11:39 AM   #4
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

6" is on the smaller side. I think partly wearing a watch with confidence has something to do with it too, not only about how it looks but how you wear it. Give a 44mm a try and see how you feel. But if you find that it is too big then perhaps 42mm is the way to go.

The PAM 392 is almost identical to the PAM 312, just a smaller version. From what I remember it doesn't have the 9 numeral. Still a nice watch and has the in-house movement and if you really want panerai that could be the answer? Also Panerai have just released a new version of the 392, 1392, which has a slightly updated dial and movement. So maybe something worth considering. As I said earlier check out the website.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2016, 11:43 AM   #5
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
The PAM 392 is almost identical to the PAM 312, just a smaller version. From what I remember it doesn't have the 9 numeral. Still a nice watch and has the in-house movement and if you really want panerai that could be the answer? Also Panerai have just released a new version of the 392, 1392, which has a slightly updated dial and movement. So maybe something worth considering. As I said earlier check out the website.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
6" is on the smaller side. I think partly wearing a watch with confidence has something to do with it too, not only about how it looks but how you wear it. Give a 44mm a try and see how you feel. But if you find that it is too big then perhaps 42mm is the way to go.

Thank you
Old 12 June 2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, Panerai is meant to be big, but on you, 42 will be plenty big, and OP makes some really nice 42s for that reason. Personally, I wouldn't get caught up in the "supposed to" with Panerai and just pick what you love.... Much less chance of flipping. (Up to a point... The new Due range should be avoided like the plague IMHO )

As mentioned above, the 392 is 42, but quite chunky (it's still as thick as the 312). Check out the 512, 574 and 620 (all Radiomir 1940 cases) or 337 and 338 (Radiomir).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Frendrick
"TRF" Member

Try luminor bettarini case

Try luminor bettarini 44mm case, will suit smaller wrist better because of the slimmer and more comfy case. Luminor 1950 case sits higher and could be less comfortable especially for smaller wrist. Bettarini case IMO is much more comfortable and sits much lower, less bulky too.

If I were you, I would go for 44mm at least despite your small wrist. The 000/005 or 111/112 is a good option for entry. 510/560 would be good if you're looking for inhouse movt. You'll find it very big for the first time, but as you wear it, you'll get used to it. I have 6.75" and am rocking 47mm 372 for daily use, and I'm good with it.

Another option you can check radiomir line, the wire lug suits smaller wrist better and is the slimmer of all panerai case. Radiomir is easier to dress up too. 45mm radiomir will suits your wrist like a 42mm luminor. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.
Frendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 09:17 AM   #9
paneristi000
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at 620, 655, or 1392? PAM1392 is one of the ones they released during the latest exhibition in Florence. It might be a while before it comes out. Best of luck to you.
paneristi000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 09:26 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Advice...yes...

Manual movement (non automatic)
44mm (not so many options in 42mm)
Eta movement (non in house)
Avoid LE (limited editions) and their premium pricing.
Stick with base models.

If you prefer other options to the above recommendations, you could generally expect poor resale value.
Old 16 June 2016, 02:30 AM   #11
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
44mm is the sweet spot.

ETA movement, reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Less is more, choose the base model for a start.

Manual movement ftw!

Sent via post office using snail mail.
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote