The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2017, 11:47 PM   #31
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I hadn't noticed that - which models are you talking about? I'd like to have a look at that.
Here's a recent example, plenty more, mostly the more recently introduced watches. Looks a bit on the big side to me, at least.

Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 12:46 AM   #32
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Here's a recent example, plenty more, mostly the more recently introduced watches. Looks a bit on the big side to me, at least.

Here is nothing wrong with the text size. It's perfectly proportioned to the dial size and space available.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 01:43 AM   #33
Hollister
Banned

Um, OK. Perhaps it's a matter of opinion?
Old 13 September 2017, 05:37 AM   #34
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I love this watch. The simple beauty is captivating.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:16 AM   #35
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I sincerely hope that you are listening, Mr. Stern.

5522 is perfect. Patek is not going to make a 3rd iteration of a pilot watch any time soon if you ask me. That is all... lol

Ps: maybe a 5524 in rose gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 September 2017, 05:38 PM   #36
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
5522 is perfect. Patek is not going to make a 3rd iteration of a pilot watch any time soon if you ask me. That is all... lol

Ps: maybe a 5524 in rose gold

Maybe, maybe not ... but if they were to make non limited-edition (which I believe would in no way affect the value of the limited-editions), without the New York case back, I and many others would buy one in a New York minute.

Old 13 September 2017, 06:06 PM   #37
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Um, OK. Perhaps it's a matter of opinion?
No. It's not a matter of opinion. Look at the picture you posted. How can they possibly make the text any smaller? It's barely there as it is. Larger? Maybe. But smaller?? No friggin way
Old 13 September 2017, 06:07 PM   #38
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Maybe, maybe not ... but if they were to make non limited-edition (which I believe would in no way affect the value of the limited-editions), without the New York case back, I and many others would buy one in a New York minute.

of course it would affect it as i have explained before!!!!! The only difference you are extending is that the new mass market 5522 will not have an engraved case back...it all other manners exactly thesame...why would anyone in their right minds pay a premium for a which that is limited by number as it has an engraving???

Example: Original 5711P of which a handful are made....imagibe bringing out 700 LE with just the case back engraved.....you think it wouldnt affect the original editions price negatively? Of course it would...a 5650 with a saphire backing stating "non LE" would affect the LE version...etc

it will have to be different even if its just a subdial...I definately dont think it will be in a coloured metal...WG yes / maybe...
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:30 PM   #39
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
of course it would affect it as i have explained before!!!!! The only difference you are extending is that the new mass market 5522 will not have an engraved case back...it all other manners exactly thesame...why would anyone in their right minds pay a premium for a which that is limited by number as it has an engraving???

Example: Original 5711P of which a handful are made....imagibe bringing out 700 LE with just the case back engraved.....you think it wouldnt affect the original editions price negatively? Of course it would...a 5650 with a saphire backing stating "non LE" would affect the LE version...etc

it will have to be different even if its just a subdial...I definately dont think it will be in a coloured metal...WG yes / maybe...
Perhaps you can explain again, I did not see it. As to "why would anyone in their right minds pay a premium for a which that is limited by number as it has an engraving", the answer to that question, my friend, is self evident.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:54 PM   #40
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
No. It's not a matter of opinion. Look at the picture you posted. How can they possibly make the text any smaller? It's barely there as it is. Larger? Maybe. But smaller?? No friggin way
LOL, do you mean I am simply not permitted to think that the logo is too large? If there's room for it the size it is, logic dictates that there's plenty enough room to make it smaller!

Compare and contrast...

Discreet:

VERY LOUD:

Take a line from the dial centre to the 11 o'clock & 1 o'clock indices on both dials, and what do you see?
Old 13 September 2017, 07:49 PM   #41
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:

I think it looks fine, but agree it's subjective.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 08:43 PM   #42
Hollister
Banned

It's actually objectively larger, but anyway.

Quote:

Take a line from the dial centre to the 11 o'clock & 1 o'clock indices on both dials, and what do you see?
Old 13 September 2017, 11:05 PM   #43
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's actually objectively larger, but anyway.
Not sure if that comment was for me. Clearer it's larger. But my opinion is that it's fine, that's what's subjective.

And your comparing it to a very old watch. Times and tastes have changed. Compared to the 5970 the text isn't that much larger, and it feels entirely appropriate to me on the 5522. Subjectively of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9122.JPG (231.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 13 September 2017, 11:42 PM   #44
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
LOL, do you mean I am simply not permitted to think that the logo is too large? If there's room for it the size it is, logic dictates that there's plenty enough room to make it smaller!

Compare and contrast...

Discreet:

VERY LOUD:

We will agree to disagree but that example to me looks horrible. See my post on the other thread regarding TS listening- the new Patek's rock. What you posted as an example- meh
Old 13 September 2017, 11:45 PM   #45
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
We will agree to disagree but that example to me looks horrible. See my post on the other thread regarding TS listening- the new Patek's rock. What you posted as an example- meh
Well, there we are, then. We don't all like the same things, which is just as well, because we wouldn't be able to get hold of anything we liked if we did.

In my opinion, the 5522 is truly hideous.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:03 AM   #46
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:

And the market based on premiums completely disagrees with you. Let's do another poll shall we as that seems to be what everyone on this website does lately. 5522 vs the watch you posted. You are entitled to your opinion but I'm very happy TS and Patek don't share it.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:05 AM   #47
KarlS
Banned

[QUOTE=Socal to az;7900949]And the market based on premiums completely disagrees with you. Let's do another poll shall we as that seems to be what everyone on this website does lately. 5522 vs the watch you posted. You are entitled to your opinion but I'm very happy TS and Patek don't share it.[/QUOTEi
Agree
Old 14 September 2017, 12:42 AM   #48
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
And the market based on premiums completely disagrees with you. Let's do another poll shall we as that seems to be what everyone on this website does lately. 5522 vs the watch you posted. You are entitled to your opinion but I'm very happy TS and Patek don't share it.
The entire point of posting the older watch was to illustrate the increase in font size. And I don't give two hoots about what "the market" says is desirable.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, in my world, at least.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #49
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
The entire point of posting the older watch was to illustrate the increase in font size. And I don't give two hoots about what "the market" says is desirable.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, in my world, at least.
Of course you are, as misguided as it may be!!
Old 14 September 2017, 09:36 AM   #50
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Of course you are, as misguided as it may be!!
Uninspired, boring, run-of-the mill small movement in huge case, overblown logo. Empty dial south of 9 and 3. Not really what PP is all about, IMO.

An appalling and frankly cynical product, IMO. IWC big pilot is much more desirable.

This isn't so bad, and at least it's cheap.

Cheers.
Old 14 September 2017, 09:43 AM   #51
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Yawn...

Old 14 September 2017, 09:45 AM   #52
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Uninspired, boring, run-of-the mill small movement in huge case, overblown logo. Empty dial south of 9 and 3. Not really what PP is all about, IMO.

An appalling and frankly cynical product, IMO. IWC big pilot is much more desirable.

This isn't so bad, and at least it's cheap.

Cheers.
I agree with you. That's a cheap watch.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:59 AM   #53
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:

This x 100. If PP is trying to get a younger audience to buy, I imagine I'd be a prime target: mid-30s, a watch enthusiast, disposable income, etc. And yet there's nothing about this watch that interests me. Now, if they had put out a JLC Master Date Sector Date-type watch in stainless steel...

What I find so interesting is the direct relationship between average price and thin skin. Of all the subforums here, I'd venture that the PP subforum has the highest average watch price - and its posters are the most touchy. Lighten up, guys! We won't all agree and it's OK if someone doesn't think everything PP puts out is an instant classic. That shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the piece or brand.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:58 PM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No worries James, not only is no one forcing you to buy one, they aren't even for sale in your country.

This will be an easy pass for you
Old 14 September 2017, 02:41 PM   #55
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
This x 100. If PP is trying to get a younger audience to buy, I imagine I'd be a prime target: mid-30s, a watch enthusiast, disposable income, etc. And yet there's nothing about this watch that interests me. Now, if they had put out a JLC Master Date Sector Date-type watch in stainless steel...

What I find so interesting is the direct relationship between average price and thin skin. Of all the subforums here, I'd venture that the PP subforum has the highest average watch price - and its posters are the most touchy. Lighten up, guys! We won't all agree and it's OK if someone doesn't think everything PP puts out is an instant classic. That shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the piece or brand.
Thanks, mate. The groupthink in these parts is pretty overwhelming at times.

I think TS is taking the brand in a very strange and incongruous direction. Anyway, enough from me, and I doubt TS is actually listening in any case!
Old 14 September 2017, 02:43 PM   #56
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Well, there we are, then. We don't all like the same things, which is just as well, because we wouldn't be able to get hold of anything we liked if we did.

Have an opinion, but calling the watch "truly hideous" is just being antagonistic in this case.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:53 PM   #57
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Have an opinion, but calling the watch "truly hideous" is just being antagonistic in this case.
It's clearly not possible for anyone to think this watch is hideous. Oh well....

[It's my opinion, we all have them, I've outlined the reasons why I think that, please get over it]
Old 14 September 2017, 02:55 PM   #58
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's clearly not possible for anyone to think this watch is hideous. Oh well....

[it's my opinion, please get over it]

It certainly is possible. It also is possible to be gentlemanly and tactful, and word choice matters.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:58 PM   #59
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
It certainly is possible. It also is possible to be gentlemanly and tactful, and word choice matters.
We are discussing a watch, not a living entity. The watch doesn't have any feelings to hurt. If owners or admirers can't cope with someone else disliking their choice, well, then they have issues.

I am far from being alone in disliking this watch, it's a pretty controversial piece.
Old 14 September 2017, 03:06 PM   #60
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We are discussing a watch, not a living entity. The watch doesn't have any feelings to hurt. If owners or admirers can't cope with someone else disliking their choice, well, then they have issues.

I'm sure they (our members) are going to be fine. One of the characteristics that makes TRF better than the other watch forums is the decorum and courtesy we extend to each other, even when we disagree. Calling it truly hideous is just instigating ill will. Something to consider.