The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Talk me out of (or into) a Hulk

The correct answer to this question is really, "no." After all, the correct number of watches to own is n+1.

Let's discuss the now-discontinued Submariner 116610LV because I lust for one.

First, the arguments against:
The nickname - I know how fond of these terms some of you are
The case - the supercase is, erm... controversial. How could Rolex move away from such perfect proportions?
The dial - the hands are too fat, and the lume plots are too big. it's all a bit cartoonish
The lugs - way too fat (see also: The case, above)
The bezel - the green is flat and just doesn't measure up to the original Kermit
The price - with it out of production, and depending on when bought new, it's over twice the MSRP

And now, why I lust for the Hulk:
I love the supercase and maxi dial. I'm fond of larger watches and with a 7.5" wrist, they work for me.
And the green! Oh, the green. I love it on the bezel. And despite its Bluesy cousin's blue bezel, which is often described as flat, this green seems to work much better. Especially when paired with the dial. The fact that bezel and dial share the same color gives the Hulk a real differentiator and I love that. It's not your typical black or blue. It's green - a lot of green.

About that dial, eh? Matching the bezel color and including gold flecks to give the qualities to live up to its sunray moniker makes it both beautiful and unique. The ability to shine and shimmer in the sunlight, and go low-key when light isn't present is super neat.

Oh, and that price mentioned earlier; that's a big one. With prices currently hovering right around $20k, maybe a bit more if NOS, that's a lot of greenbacks for a green watch. That gives me pause.

However, if I've learned anything from the near-thirty watches I've collected; I like the weird, odd, and out-of-production. With the exception of my Sea-Dweller, Omega SMP300m, and an on-order Oris ProPliot Big Crown x Calibre 115 - all of my watches are out of production. I like that, so it stands to reason that the Hulk fits nicely into that theme. It would join my 21-series Explorer II Polar, the aforementioned Sea-Dweller, and black ceramic GMT Master II.

So... why should (or shouldn't) I try to find a Hulk?
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #2
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
I'm debating the same question and it has been on "my list" for some time. I have a friend with the watch and it is stunning. Great in person. Depending on your personality and style, the watch can be a bit flashy. It will be noticed - for good or bad. I'm with you though, will probably have to experience this one - and maybe soon!
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:29 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Hulk is a classic……..better than than the Kermit and better than the cermit…….very rarely is something better than its first version and current version…..
1665fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:37 AM   #4
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I don't like green watches. If you like and can afford one, buy it, shouldn't need vindication from others, and worse case scenario you lose a little bit of money.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:41 AM   #5
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The Hulk is such an iconic watch... so yeah - if green is your thing - go for it !
a man with two watches is never really sure.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:08 AM   #6
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Had one for a year and sold it. Sometimes it looked cool, most of the time I just didn't like it. I now have a black one and love it.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:16 AM   #7
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I have a 116610LV. I’ve had it since 2015 when I purchased it at an AD with a slight discount after it had sat in the case unloved for a while. It remains one of my favorite pieces in my modest collection. I always purchase at AD. As great a piece as it is, I wouldn’t pay 2X retail for it or any piece but that’s me. This thread needs pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9155A468-76FE-408C-9CFA-62A87A7750B4.jpeg (172.4 KB, 1200 views)
File Type: jpeg C290956D-D98A-479B-863D-BD82EFDAEF7F.jpeg (175.7 KB, 1199 views)
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:23 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I have a 116610LV. I’ve had it since 2015 when I purchased it at an AD with a slight discount after it had sat in the case unloved for a while. It remains one of my favorite pieces in my modest collection. I always purchase at AD. As great a piece as it is, I wouldn’t pay 2X retail for it or any piece but that’s me. This thread needs pictures
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:34 AM   #9
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I have a Hulk......i think it's the most beautiful green Sub out there
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:57 AM   #10
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
I have a Hulk......i think it's the most beautiful green Sub out there
It's the only green sub out there.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 12:36 PM   #11
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
To talk you out of it, in sunlight it is a very neon light green. If you like that go for it, I don’t that is why I had no interest until the 126610LV came out. I only like the hulk dial when it looks dark/black. I was the same way with the bluesy.
Old 27 October 2022, 12:45 PM   #12
Pinpoint
Banned

The thing that might give you another perspective is that when they came out they had some degree of trouble selling them but the same could be said for Daytona (way back). Tastes change but part of the desirability now may come from scarcity and the recent Rolex stainless steel fad. Any buyer needs to double check their motivation to see that they are not being overly influenced by a fad.

If you really like it, that's another matter entirely.
Pinpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 12:50 PM   #13
Subguy48
"TRF" Member

I say get one.

Its the only all green watch Rolex has ever made, its also the only sunburst dial to my knowledge on a steel sports watch, Rolex traditionally reserves sunburst dials for precious metal watches only. The dial is arguably the most mesmerizing dial across the entire lineup.

You will also almost never see them in the wild, amongst an ocean of black submariners.
Subguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 02:32 PM   #14
Wpalmer03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, SBGA211
Do it. I wear mine almost every day, it actually works better than most people think. In most situations the color is subtle and not until you are close enough do you realize what it is.
Wpalmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 02:38 PM   #15
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
I'm debating the same question and it has been on "my list" for some time. I have a friend with the watch and it is stunning. Great in person. Depending on your personality and style, the watch can be a bit flashy. It will be noticed - for good or bad. I'm with you though, will probably have to experience this one - and maybe soon!
I get that. A Rolex, on its own, garners attention. An all-green variant more so.

I'm glad to hear that it's as stunning as I imagine in person. I look forward to the day I fondle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I don't like green watches. If you like and can afford one, buy it, shouldn't need vindication from others, and worse case scenario you lose a little bit of money.
Admittedly, green watches never appealed to me. With the Hulk, Rolex seemed to get the shade of greens right. I even looked at the five-digit Kermit last month. And while I found it novel, it didn't jump out at me. The Hulk seems like it does. Besides, the is less about seeking validation and discussing an out of production Rolex reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
You get me. Thanks for the pictures.

On the price; that's the rub. It's healthy in the second-hand market. While I don't love that, it does imply value stability. Of course, that's not why we buy watches. They are to wear and appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
It's the only green sub out there.
Technically, it’s the only green dial sub out there.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 03:52 PM   #16
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

It's a great watch. For pros and cons.... The best reason you should buy one is because you WANT IT.

Don't think they will reissue it, so should only appreciate in price.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 04:00 PM   #17
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
The thing that might give you another perspective is that when they came out they had some degree of trouble selling them but the same could be said for Daytona (way back). Tastes change but part of the desirability now may come from scarcity and the recent Rolex stainless steel fad. Any buyer needs to double check their motivation to see that they are not being overly influenced by a fad.

If you really like it, that's another matter entirely.
Spot on!
Old 27 October 2022, 04:03 PM   #18
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Reasons to pass…

Very likely, you are caught up in the hype. Back before they were discontinued, they sat in ADs cases. Many said the green was too much; wearing one would be clownish. They are too expensive - more than double retail. It’s cool when your watch doubles in value, but if you are the guy paying the premium, that’s goofy.

Reasons to buy…

Green is your absolute favorite color and you’re too rich to worry about ten grand here or there. You buy what catches your eye and don’t care what others say.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 05:03 PM   #19
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
it's the rolex signature colour, what else could you ask for?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 05:05 PM   #20
Srct
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
It’s been my daily for 5 years - simply it’s a great watch and the dial is something special
Srct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 05:38 PM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I’m in the “into” group. Terrific watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 05:43 PM   #22
Manamana
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful green discontinued Rolex Submariner that has presence on the wrist and you love it. This could be looked at as the best Sub ever produced by Rolex in years ahead. What are you still waiting for? You know the Hulk, Daytona Panda, and Pepsi are must haves in most Rolex collectors collections now. The Hulk was discontinued with huge waiting lists at ADs. It doesn't matter if it was not popular for the first 4-5 years, that's an advantage, the fewer sold the better. Look at any Hulk thread you will notice the main reasons posters don't like the Hulk is they don't like green, and that it's 2x over retail. You like green, and retail doesn't matter if the watch is discontinued, it may go to 3x or 1.5x, but for sure it will be a collectable Rolex in the future. Some people just don't like paying over retail, and that doesn't matter when you are looking to buy a watch you love, it's a choice for others it doesn't concern you, and it applies to all Rolex for them.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 06:17 PM   #23
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
I love my hulk, it’s my daily something about the green dial in the sunlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 06:24 PM   #24
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
reminds of a toy plastic watch you get out of kids cereal box when I was kid all green watch nah
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 07:14 PM   #25
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
If you like submariners - and you like the colour green ALOT then it’s the watch for you
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 07:57 PM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
A big yes from me! And if you haven't seen one in person, you're in trouble. It's even better than pictures can do justice.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 08:01 PM   #27
harvey
"TRF" Member

LoVe it!
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 08:17 PM   #28
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Life is way way too short - sorry, want it, get it, enjoy it !

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 08:28 PM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Pro:
Fat case and lugs
Sunburst dial

Cons:
Bezel color mismatch with dial.
Overhyped

For me it’s a no go
Old 27 October 2022, 09:17 PM   #30
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own one and it is a great watch. Buy right, give it try and see who it works. They are not making anymore of them and the current dip should help with the price. Go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116610lv , green dial hulk , hulk , submariner 116610 , submariner date