The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 October 2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Gravity
"TRF" Member

ROO 44 Novelty question

About to pull the trigger on a new 44 and was curious on reliability thoughts from any medium to long time owners. I believe they have been out since 2011 so would be great to hear about functionality, timekeeping and service experiences. I had a 42 a few years ago but didn't have it long enough to asses and assume the newer 44s have a different movement anyway. Appreciate the feedback!
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:20 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have now owned 4 44’s and currently own the new RG and also Ti one. They are great watches with serious wrist presence. A lot of fun to wear and really cool looking in all of the choices. As for time keeping mine are within a few seconds a day. I can’t speak to service as have not had to send one in yet. I can speak to APSC here in US though and they are by far the best in the business IMHO.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:33 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I love mine, it's the only watch I've had that is just right.

That said, it currently runs fast to around 2 mins per month. This doesn't bother me as the AD has offered to have it sorted at AP under warranty so for now it's ok. I mention it purely because there are some here who expect quartz accuracy but I don't.

There's also a great range of straps for the 44 without having them custom made.

The only downside that seems to be mentioned here is that not everyone can pull off the size as it is a big watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the feedback. Even 2 min per mo doesn't sound too bad and I love the size so no worries there. Tried on several and love it but my only real unknown was reliability / service.

thx!
Old 16 October 2017, 09:50 AM   #5
ndrenfro
"TRF" Member

I’ve had 4 of the 44s, and have settled on the Ti. It is a new model this year and I already had to send it in for service as it stopped working and wouldn’t start up. Sent it in to AP in Clearwater. The whole process went very well. It was a bad Chrono module so they replaced it and serviced the movement as well. Service dept was top notch and only took about a month. Got it back two weeks earlier than estimated. So I was happy about that. It’s been working great the last couple weeks since then and it’s running about +4 seconds a day.
ndrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrenfro View Post
I’ve had 4 of the 44s, and have settled on the Ti. It is a new model this year and I already had to send it in for service as it stopped working and wouldn’t start up. Sent it in to AP in Clearwater. The whole process went very well. It was a bad Chrono module so they replaced it and serviced the movement as well. Service dept was top notch and only took about a month. Got it back two weeks earlier than estimated. So I was happy about that. It’s been working great the last couple weeks since then and it’s running about +4 seconds a day.
Some bad luck there but sounds like AP did you right and all was sorted in a timely manor. Thx for the input.
Old 16 October 2017, 03:02 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
About to pull the trigger on a new 44 and was curious on reliability thoughts from any medium to long time owners. I believe they have been out since 2011 so would be great to hear about functionality, timekeeping and service experiences. I had a 42 a few years ago but didn't have it long enough to asses and assume the newer 44s have a different movement anyway. Appreciate the feedback!
FWIW the movements are the same assuming your 42 was also a chronograph and not a diver.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
FWIW the movements are the same assuming your 42 was also a chronograph and not a diver.
Thanks for the info, yes it was the older ROO. So the newer model's change was purely aesthetic, would have thought otherwise.
Old 16 October 2017, 04:09 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Thanks for the info, yes it was the older ROO. So the newer model's change was purely aesthetic, would have thought otherwise.
if it was older then i think they were different. I was referring to the current 42's and 44's
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 October 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
sssteel
"TRF" Member

It is (and has been!) the same movement by the way!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:07 AM   #11
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
if it was older then i think they were different. I was referring to the current 42's and 44's
I saw this was already mentioned/you beat me to the comment,
But FYI: the movement has been the same (with DD chrono module) since 1993 when original “Blue Batons” Roo was released!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:22 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
I saw this was already mentioned/you beat me to the comment,
But FYI: the movement has been the same (with DD chrono module) since 1993 when original “Blue Batons” Roo was released!
i wasn't sure as there are some showing 2326/2840 and some showing 3126 / 3840

So it makes sense the DD module is the same and just changed from 2840 to 3840 when modified to work with the changed base movement.

Any idea what the old 2326 base movement was? i have no idea
Old 17 October 2017, 04:15 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I had one that needed service a month into owning it (bought new). Fortunately AP Clearwater had it good as new with a 4 week turnaround. Power reserve issue.

APs have their quirks but Clearwater will make everything right in a timely fashion and that’s more than I can say for other brands.
Old 17 October 2017, 05:54 AM   #14
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I had one that needed service a month into owning it (bought new). Fortunately AP Clearwater had it good as new with a 4 week turnaround. Power reserve issue.

APs have their quirks but Clearwater will make everything right in a timely fashion and that’s more than I can say for other brands.
Hope I don't experience it but how does a process like this play out. Curious about the protocol of first contact to return of the piece. Appreciate the info.