The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2017, 04:08 AM   #1
sahcivan
Banned

Watch: ing you watch me
IPhone v Samsung galaxy s6 edge

So after repairing my iPhone 3 times already this year, screen, charging port and speaker I finally gave up on Apple and have switched to Samsung and android

I admit I'm missing the iPhone but I'm really liking the Samsung, albeit I'm still struggling to use it

Has anybody made the switch to the dark side from Apple and stayed with Samsung?

For people that have had both, which do you think it better overall?
sahcivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 04:17 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Samsung is not even close to stock android, I hate their system, way too bloated.

If you want android I'd go Google Pixel or OnePlus 5.
I recently bought the OnePlus 5, 8gb ram, octa core and 128gb storage and I really like it. But I mainly bought it because I really needed to upgrade my Motorola, would have wanted an iPhone X but I really can't justify the price.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 04:18 AM   #3
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Went from apple to android back to apple, they all work, glad we have competition to make things better.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 05:12 AM   #4
jstevens43
"TRF" Member

I could never imagine switching from Apple AND keeping it that way
jstevens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 05:22 AM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahcivan View Post
So after repairing my iPhone 3 times already this year, screen, charging port and speaker I finally gave up on Apple and have switched to Samsung and android

I admit I'm missing the iPhone but I'm really liking the Samsung, albeit I'm still struggling to use it

Has anybody made the switch to the dark side from Apple and stayed with Samsung?

For people that have had both, which do you think it better overall?
That is a good question. I think I have to give apple a very slight edge with FaceTime and their imessaging. but there are things I like better about android.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 05:51 AM   #6
Syed117
"TRF" Member

S6? Absolutely not. My brother bought it a launch and within a year it was a mess. Factory resets did not help.

I switched from Apple a few years ago, but I would never have gone to Samsung in the past. Their software has always been trash.

That being said, they have dialed back a lot of their intrusive touch wiz nonsense. I got the S8 Plus earlier this and I've been very happy with it. Easily the best hardware design (yes, it's better designed than the iPhone X) with software that is finally getting closer to stock android.

Will have to see what happens over the next year, but I think they will nail it within the next two years.

I've gotten asked this question by a lot of friends and family ever since I switched. For the most part, I tell 9 out of 10 people to stay with Apple. It's just easier. Android can be overwhelming.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:08 AM   #7
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I have been having so many problems with my iPhone since the newest update it is tempting to switch to android. However there is no way. I own an S5 that I use for my countermeasures in my car and I think the platform sucks. Especially compared to iOS. I just hope Apple can get their act together soon.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:10 AM   #8
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I have been having so many problems with my iPhone since the newest update it is tempting to switch to android. However there is no way. I own an S5 that I use for my countermeasures in my car and I think the platform sucks. Especially compared to iOS. I just hope Apple can get their act together soon.
I've heard bad things about iOS 11 on older devices.

Doesn't seem great.
Old 18 October 2017, 06:10 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
S6? Absolutely not. My brother bought it a launch and within a year it was a mess. Factory resets did not help.

I switched from Apple a few years ago, but I would never have gone to Samsung in the past. Their software has always been trash.

That being said, they have dialed back a lot of their intrusive touch wiz nonsense. I got the S8 Plus earlier this and I've been very happy with it. Easily the best hardware design (yes, it's better designed than the iPhone X) with software that is finally getting closer to stock android.

Will have to see what happens over the next year, but I think they will nail it within the next two years.

I've gotten asked this question by a lot of friends and family ever since I switched. For the most part, I tell 9 out of 10 people to stay with Apple. It's just easier. Android can be overwhelming.
Android can be overwhelming.

Not if you have been an Android user since day 1. In that case, iOS becomes a foreign language.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I've heard bad things about iOS 11 on older devices.

Doesn't seem great.

I bet it’s worse than what you heard. I think it’s catastrophic. It’s even bad on the new iPhone 8.

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2017, 06:17 AM   #11
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I'm an Apple man through and through. I run my life (and business) on iPads. My 2 year old iPhone 6 was getting tired and i got the new 8 a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry to say that it's complete crap.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:19 AM   #12
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I'm just hoping that the X is good.

My dad has his mind set on it and it's going to be very frustrating if there are issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Android can be overwhelming.

Not if you have been an Android user since day 1. In that case, iOS becomes a foreign language.
It looks and feels more like a toy.
Old 18 October 2017, 06:41 AM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I'm an Apple man through and through. I run my life (and business) on iPads. My 2 year old iPhone 6 was getting tired and i got the new 8 a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry to say that it's complete crap.
Oh no. What’s wrong with it? This is depressing.

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2017, 06:50 AM   #14
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Reception is worse, whether it be wifi, telephone, or Bluetooth. Also, it loses its connection to whatever. It has frozen a number of times, so needs rebooting.

I seriously miss my old 6.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:15 AM   #15
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The latest iPhone OS update is terrible. Buggy as hell. Not typical. I’ve been Apple to Android and back to Apple. I’m in the Apple eco System. Tough to get out. Apple may not be as customizable as Android but Apple products just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:23 AM   #16
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I moved from Apple phones some years back, I have a Galaxy S8 at the moment, I can't see myself going back to Apple anytime soon, having said that, I have, 2 iPad, 2 Mac Book Pro and 2 of the original iPod.
daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 08:49 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I bet it’s worse than what you heard. I think it’s catastrophic. It’s even bad on the new iPhone 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Reception is worse, whether it be wifi, telephone, or Bluetooth. Also, it loses its connection to whatever. It has frozen a number of times, so needs rebooting.

I seriously miss my old 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
The latest iPhone OS update is terrible. Buggy as hell. Not typical. I’ve been Apple to Android and back to Apple. I’m in the Apple eco System. Tough to get out. Apple may not be as customizable as Android but Apple products just work.

x4

The last IOS update crashed my 7. It kept popping up a screen to review the TOS for the cloud, but wouldn't let me review the TOS, or disable the screen. A company IT guy sorted it for me, but the battery is draining faster and it loses signal with a butterfly fart.

Does anyone know how to roll back updates?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 09:29 AM   #18
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Was Apple then Android then back to Apple. This last IOS update sucks. My old 6+ was having issues anyways and the update has made it almost unusable. Been holding off for the X for like a year and I cannot get it soon enough. If it sucks I am hosed....I may just buy it outright so if I do not like it I can move it and get the new Pixel. I am chained to Apple with the music, tablet, TV, wife and so on, so this decision would be a big one.

I had a lot of issues with the last couple of Androids (both Motorola) before I went back to Apple, but some folks I trust really rave about the Pixel phone.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 09:58 AM   #19
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Left apple for six months and then back..... have no idea what I was thinking

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I’ve had both and would never go back to Android. My Samsung phones (Galaxy S and S3) would start running slowly for no apparent reason. I’d open the task manager and find that it had decided to open Google maps, Google music and various other apps. This drove me bonkers. Maps is probably the biggest drain on data. Our IT manager at work said it was most likely a Samsung thing but when I moved to the HTC One, it pretty much did the same.

iOS 11 is excellent in principle but the execution is crap. It needs fixing and it needs fixing fast. I’m not overly bothered because iOS 9 was dreadful but Apple got it right in the end. However, I’d rather use two empty cans and a ball of string than go back to Android.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:34 AM   #21
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I’ve had both and would never go back to Android. My Samsung phones (Galaxy S and S3) would start running slowly for no apparent reason. I’d open the task manager and find that it had decided to open Google maps, Google music and various other apps. This drove me bonkers. Maps is probably the biggest drain on data. Our IT manager at work said it was most likely a Samsung thing but when I moved to the HTC One, it pretty much did the same.

iOS 11 is excellent in principle but the execution is crap. It needs fixing and it needs fixing fast. I’m not overly bothered because iOS 9 was dreadful but Apple got it right in the end. However, I’d rather use two empty cans and a ball of string than go back to Android.
I agree 100%. Apple will fix it. I bet they are working on it 24/7

Instagram - patton250
Old 18 October 2017, 12:02 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I guess now isn't the time to bring up blackberry

I finally switched last summer from BB to android. My wife and the kids are all Apple fans. I'm getting used to the android operating system but nothing handles work tasks and email like a BB. I wish they could've made a go of it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 12:26 PM   #23
swils8610

IPhone v Samsung galaxy s6 edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I guess now isn't the time to bring up blackberry

I finally switched last summer from BB to android. My wife and the kids are all Apple fans. I'm getting used to the android operating system but nothing handles work tasks and email like a BB. I wish they could've made a go of it.

My Blackberry’s were my favorite phones ever. Loved the OS and keyboard. My BB Bold 9650 was my favorite. Apple is tough to leave...MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone etc.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 03:40 PM   #24
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Samsung is not even close to stock android, I hate their system, way too bloated.

If you want android I'd go Google Pixel or OnePlus 5.
I recently bought the OnePlus 5, 8gb ram, octa core and 128gb storage and I really like it. But I mainly bought it because I really needed to upgrade my Motorola, would have wanted an iPhone X but I really can't justify the price.
I concede that the Samsung bloatware sucks. But it only took me a few minutes to uninstall any useless apps
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 05:24 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I concede that the Samsung bloatware sucks. But it only took me a few minutes to uninstall any useless apps
True, but their 'skin' over stock android is still one of the things that can slow the phone down. That combined with relatively low ram memory makes them slow in a year.

The best way to go is either stock android or iOS. iOS might have some problems now but it's generally the best OS of any mobile device, it's better optimised for the devices it runs on. While android has to run on all kinds of devices, from high end beasts with powerful hardware to budget phones.

In the end it all just comes down to preference.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:08 PM   #26
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think that the old Samsung Touch Wiz skin was awful, (I always used Nova or Apex launchers on my devices and deleted lots of unwanted apps) and as some have mentioned, it used to slow devices down.

In recent incarnations they have come a long way, the Samsung skin that was so awful on the S5 and S6 has now been revamped and is nothing like it was, I still prefer the Nexus/Pixel line and will probably get a Pixel 2, but in the meantime, my S8 is as good as anything out there. A lot of criticism is hearsay rather than experience. The slowest item I have at the moment is one of my iPads, it slowed down with each upgrade of os and is now nearly unusable.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:28 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
My Blackberry’s were my favorite phones ever. Loved the OS and keyboard. My BB Bold 9650 was my favorite. Apple is tough to leave...MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone etc.

So there IS someone else who likes them

They were pretty great phones. Task oriented. Too bad they underestimated the importance of the consumer market .

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:52 AM   #28
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I’ve had my Galaxy S6 for two and a half years now. I have no complaints with it, it does what I need it to do. I’m not looking to upgrade anytime soon either. My wife has the same phone I do but hers is black.

I also like my iPad and my son has an iPhone 7 so it’s not like I have any brand loyalty.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:08 AM   #29
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:

Indeed brother, the 9650 was a great phone. I loved the BB's back in the day. I could type perfectly without looking.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:54 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I too loved my BB. The center scroll wheel and full keyboard was great. Unfortunately that’s all history now.