The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 September 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
jsw811
"TRF" Member

Icon5 New Member needs Service in Atlanta

My dad gave me his pre 1983 (???) Pepsi GMT Master about 10 years ago on the day he retired saying he didn't need it anymore. I have worn it every day since. It has not been serviced in that time, but now needs complete cleaning, oiling and new crystal as the old one is scratched.

I took it to watch shop in mall today and the watchmaker said he could clean and service it fully for $250 and new crystal for $80. He said he was not a certified Rolex service provider but had been trained on Rolex work. I have done a bit of research online and see a Rolex certified Watchmaker named Charlie Shi and saw someone mention Womble Watch Works or maybe just get referral from Mayor's Jewelers.

I am thinking it best to go to certified service provider just for this visit because its been so long and needs a good, thorough scan. Make sense?

Wondering if anyone out there has heard of Mr. Shi in ATL or can recommend anyone else and if anyone can say what the cleaning and general servicing costs might be assuming no replacement of parts other than the crystal and what a replacement crystal should cost.

Neat site.

Thanks
jsw811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do our watch a favor...

Contact the Rolex Service Center in Dallas TX.. They won't do the job as cheaply... probably closer to 600 bucks, but they will replace all the worn parts inside, new tube and crown if needed, new crystal, and they will refinish the bracelet.......

All of this will be done using genuine Rolex parts, someting the mall watchmaker cannot likely do...

Your watch will be put back as new as practical..........
Old 8 September 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
onkyo
Banned

You don't want to go cheap on classic Rolex......

Listen to Tools and send it off to Dallas for a nice spa treatment.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote