The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 September 2014, 03:41 AM   #91
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
MonBK

Are you being sarcastic?

Of course.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:42 AM   #92
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member

So then your suggesting this is a "dumb" move?

Please explain why this would be a dumb move?
EbayBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 03:50 AM   #93
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
So then your suggesting this is a "dumb" move?

Please explain why this would be a dumb move?

On purpose buying fake/aftermarket/crap watches, yes I would consider that to be a really dumb move.
Old 20 September 2014, 03:55 AM   #94
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member

So then you are saying becker time sells

"fake/aftermarket/crap watches"

I just want to clarify because it seems like 99% of people on here want to hug them and even ignore these findings.
Old 20 September 2014, 03:57 AM   #95
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
So then you are saying becker time sells

"fake/aftermarket/crap watches"

I just want to clarify because it seems like 99% of people on here want to hug them and even ignore these findings.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not hugging them and would personally never buy anything from them.
Old 20 September 2014, 03:59 AM   #96
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member

I'm not putting words in you mouth i directly quoted your last post.

You said is is a dumb idea to buy "fake/aftermarket/crap watches" and we are referring to Beckertime

Jsut wanted to clarify your posts....you came in with sarcasm, not me
Old 20 September 2014, 04:58 AM   #97
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member

I actually attached photo of this clasp to the Ebay dispute and had Beckertime verify this is the same clasp they sent and if they still declare it genuine.

They in fact still argue this clasp is genuine.

Oh well, its the weekend and time for a little
Old 20 September 2014, 05:52 AM   #98
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

The reason it is listed again and again and again is because with aftermarket you can pretty much make a Rolex to whatever specifications you desire... all you need to do is refinish a dial, add a diamond bezel, and add the bracelet to you specs... no need to scower the earth to find a specific dial, bezel, or band combo
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 07:19 AM   #99
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The clasp is definitely counterfeit and not genuine as claimed by the seller beckertime. There are several identifiers on the clasp blade to indicate is not genuine. Also, the stamping on the bracelet link is for a two-tone bracelet - not stainless steel. This is not good, which changes my thoughts regarding the bracelet. Definitely not genuine.

X 2 that clasp is fake
Old 20 September 2014, 04:33 PM   #100
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

I thought that clasp looked a bit funny.. it's not as bad as most fakes that just use random letters and numbers on the clasp... but the font and positioning seems wrong, especially for a P code clasp, and the crown definitely looks wrong... I am now wondering whether this slipped past their quality control or was done on purpose... they seem to post a lot of stuff with aftermarket band but original clasp :-/
Old 23 September 2014, 12:34 AM   #101
EbayBuyer
"TRF" Member

I thought that clasp looked a bit funny.. it's not as bad as most fakes that just use random letters and numbers on the clasp... but the font and positioning seems wrong, especially for a P code clasp, and the crown definitely looks wrong... I am now wondering whether this slipped past their quality control or was done on purpose... they seem to post a lot of stuff with aftermarket band but original clasp :-/

jvmartin

I was thinking the same thing, maybe it got past their QC department, I always try to give the benefit of doubt, however, I sent them a picture (the exact ones in this forum) and they confirm that their stance on the clasp is that it is a 100% genuine Rolex clasp. I have the Ebay messages to prove this.

So it is a true statement that Becker Time is selling, or has sold, counterfeit parts.

The only question now is are they purposely selling counterfeit Rolex's or do they not even know what they are selling?
Old 23 September 2014, 11:52 AM   #102
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I may have missed a post pointing this out somehere, but this seem to be a recurring theme with beckertime.
http://www.rolexforums.com/search.php?searchid=11048831
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 01:03 PM   #103
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
[QUOTE=Old Expat Beast;5279568]I may have missed a post pointing this out somehere, but this seem to be a recurring theme with beckertime.
Link is bad..
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2014, 01:44 PM   #104
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Try these:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=246050

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=246375
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 06:20 AM   #105
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Those worked.... thanks
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 06:37 AM   #106
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Don't know anything about Beckertime, just know that I would never buy anything off Fleebay...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 07:09 AM   #107
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Don't know anything about Beckertime, just know that I would never buy anything off Fleebay...
Ebay can be a good place if you know how to look, how to screen, keep the total amount spent below $2000, and always always always pay via Paypal. It's very buyer friendly.

If I may play devil's advocate... I am sure Matt Becker is an expert at his own trade. However, that does not mean his employees are. I highly doubt he is doing his own listings or shipping his own watches. They seem to be a pretty large scale operation.

I have never bought from him but have seen his product and in those occasions it has been exactly as described. Nothing I would wear, but still... I think a lot of the incorrect information he has on his auctions is a result of using stock images and lack of attention to detail when creating auctions. He may be using pics of original stuff when he intends to ship aftermarket but someone is dropping the ball... I am sure he still ships the aftermarket junk, but to people who do not have an eye for detail, it is very easy to overlook tell tale signs of original and aftermarket parts.

In regards to this case, its hard to defend him. He should know from looking at it that its aftermarket and if he is adamant that it is not, than that makes it worse than a simple mistake. Maybe he doesn't want to admit it because then eBay might come down on him for even having aftermarket stuff in his possession. Any updates from OP?
Old 24 September 2014, 08:25 AM   #108
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Ebay can be a good place if you know how to look, how to screen, keep the total amount spent below $2000, and always always always pay via Paypal. It's very buyer friendly.

If I may play devil's advocate... I am sure Matt Becker is an expert at his own trade. However, that does not mean his employees are. I highly doubt he is doing his own listings or shipping his own watches. They seem to be a pretty large scale operation.

I have never bought from him but have seen his product and in those occasions it has been exactly as described. Nothing I would wear, but still... I think a lot of the incorrect information he has on his auctions is a result of using stock images and lack of attention to detail when creating auctions. He may be using pics of original stuff when he intends to ship aftermarket but someone is dropping the ball... I am sure he still ships the aftermarket junk, but to people who do not have an eye for detail, it is very easy to overlook tell tale signs of original and aftermarket parts.

In regards to this case, its hard to defend him. He should know from looking at it that its aftermarket and if he is adamant that it is not, than that makes it worse than a simple mistake. Maybe he doesn't want to admit it because then eBay might come down on him for even having aftermarket stuff in his possession. Any updates from OP?
Are you serious?? It's his company and his name on the Listing. Passing the blame along to someone else is not going to fly. You have a responsibility as a business owner to provide truthful information to a potential consumer, even if you're not the one writing the ad. Ultimately it's his problem.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 09:40 AM   #109
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

I agree... I'm just offering a possible reason why some of his auctions have these inconsistencies... usually these Ebay sellers are consistently honest or consistently shady
Old 24 September 2014, 10:45 AM   #110
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post

Let me play devil's advocate. I totally disagree with your assessment. This is not the first time there has been an issue with beckertime, although I understand that mistakes can be made. Matt B. needs to get a grip on things at the showroom and take charge.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 11:58 AM   #111
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Let me play devil's advocate. I totally disagree with your assessment. This is not the first time there has been an issue with beckertime, although I understand that mistakes can be made. Matt B. needs to get a grip on things at the showroom and take charge.
John has nailed it......
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2014, 01:36 PM   #112
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
John has nailed it......
Jason, I think you did too. Cheers my friend.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2014, 12:55 AM   #113
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
wow...quiet a history, thanks for sharing
Old 26 September 2014, 05:43 PM   #114
LAFlyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803, 1500
I bought from him. Never again.

FIRST: If these are "mistakes" that are due to inattentive employees why do they always favor B-Time ??? !00% of these "mistakes" are to his advantage.

(I would wager that there are no employees.)

In my dealing with him, he sold me a non-serialized item that was obviously phony. (It was obvious to anyone who knows the meaning of the term "multiple manufacturing defects")

Because the item was not a serial-number item, it was "a matter of opinion" as to the authenticity. He stood his ground. It was a bold assertion, given the obvious fake that he sold.

Sure, I got a refund. But the in-your-face claim that the item was genuine says all I need to know about the seller.

Last edited by LAFlyer; 26 September 2014 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
LAFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2014, 12:46 AM   #115
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
Same mistakes at Hess and others.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2014, 12:49 PM   #116
Chelseafan
Banned

Well , I have heard enough about Becketime to say " I'm out"
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 12:58 AM   #117
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Ball
Hi,

Terrific discussion.

Some bullet points and thoughts:

The clasp DOES look suspect.

Beckertime DOES sell aftermarket products. a LOT of them.

Beckertime DOES acknowledge them.

I have no problem with aftermarket "ADDON" goods like diamond bezels and diamond dials IF PROPERLY Acknowledged.

A bogus clasp is a different issue.

Becketime seems to do a good job of pleasing customers and other than glowing descriptions (there is a fine line between "Salesmanship" and "hucksterism") they seem pretty straight-up in ebay-land.

If this clasp proves to be fake (and it looks fake to me) Becketime, I am sure, will swap it out and disclose.

Jeff

One last thought. As to vintage... As more and more vintage Rolex watches are restored and repaired "DISCLOSURE" is VERY important. DISCLOSURE of changed out parts, period genuine bracelets or unsigned Rolex STYLE bracelets (NEVER with Rolex signatures or crowns), DISCLOSURE of replaced or repainted dials is IMPORTANT.

And yes, in bigger operations like Beckertime and Hess Fine Auctions, there are indeed employee errors. If this happens (as it does to us in one out of every couple of hundred Rolexs posted) Please contact the seller. Most will fix it.

Keep up the good work.
jeff hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 01:34 AM   #118
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
interesting thread.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 05:05 AM   #119
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

I am always lost on how guys here jump to defend anyone who is known seller on this site. Think how many people who have never heard of this site buy a watch and for years never know they were ripped off in some way. Why is that the buyers fault? Sellers know exactly how to strategically word their ads to walk the fine line of fraud. Why not list exactly what you are selling and see how many sell?

If the OP did not come on here which many accused him of jumping the gun do you think he would have ever been helped? Bekker knows like others to keep problems quite when related to a site like this because of the buying power.

I have learned if you want a watch with ZERO issues go to an AD dealer end of story. Otherwise their is Something about the watch, it's accys or whatever that has deminished it's value so it can be sold at a discount. If you can accept this that is great but sellers need to be upfront also.
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 06:18 AM   #120
LAFlyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803, 1500
That's the problem, not the solution

>>>Please contact the seller. Most will fix it.<<<<

The seller KNEW EXACTLY what he was selling.

So what you are saying is: "If you discover the fraud and can prove it, you can get your money back."

These people you defend have gotten bolder. If it is a non-serialized item, they might give a refund, but they will not admit the item was bogus. That is my experience.

The seller has consciously decided to sell what he sells and he knows exactly what he is selling. Otherwise, they would not be in business very long.

Last edited by LAFlyer; 30 September 2014 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
LAFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote