The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 February 2017, 07:18 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Service or not?

Hi guys, as you can see from my avatar I have a 15300 blue unworn, I wanted to know if you would make it serviced prior to wearing it? It's new but not sure if I should service it or not, of course AP says to do it, it's from 2009, some say as long as it keeps good time not to do it, not really sure if I should or not, what would you do?

Thanks for your replies
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 07:23 PM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I am wondering the same question myself since some of my watches were be soon due for service. There are apparently two schools of thought.

(1) If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

(2) Service regularly prevents bigger problems which will cost more in the long term.

I recently acquired a 2011 JLC Duometre and it's due for service since it's coming to 6 years old this year but was advised not to as it is running perfectly.

Will like to hear what others think.
Old 13 February 2017, 09:46 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would wear it and see if it has any issues. If not, no service.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:06 PM   #4
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would wear it for a while (but would have it pressure tested).
Old 13 February 2017, 10:42 PM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If it is working fine then just enjoy it!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 10:43 PM   #6
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't wait until anything is wrong. I have a watchmaker at my AD that I'm pretty friendly with. If I get a watch it goes right to him for a once over. That includes putting it on the timing machine. If anything looked off I'd send it in for service right away.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:50 PM   #7
jem7v
Banned

I'd only service every 5 years or so given heavy use. I'm in the minority who will wear their AP every day. Or I alternative watches. I'll wear each watch every day for a week then switch to another one.

But if you wear it like it's a garage queen car then don't service it for a long while. I have a james bond edition omega I got maybe like 9 years ago, I still haven't serviced it. I really didn't start wearing it regularly till around 3 years ago, and even then it's not that often. Works perfectly fine.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:02 AM   #8
csi-n
"TRF" Member

I would be worried about all the seals that are now ~8 years old. The elastomers begin to loose their mechanical properties due to the exposure to air and all the impurities in it, especially ozone and the rest of the pollutants.

Some people say the lubricants within the movement dry up in time but for an unused watch, meaning all the moving parts never really moved so the lubricants have no wear on them, I am not convinced that the lubricants would dry up in a sealed chamber of tiny amount of air. I suppose this is debatable.
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:29 AM   #9
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

I'd let it run for a bit, check on the timing, and if it isn't running inaccurately, you should be good!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:57 AM   #10
yoast
"TRF" Member

When I buy an older watch, I have it pressure tested only. If it passes, I won't get it serviced
Old 14 February 2017, 02:16 AM   #11
///armin
"TRF" Member

I purchased a "new" AP ROC 26300 H series 2 years ago, the watch had been sitting on the dealer shelf for a few years, immediately after I started wearing I noticed the watch running too fast, common issue from what I found out on these. I sent it to AP and paid $1350 for a "complete maintenance service", they said that since the watch had been sitting for some time, it's common to have this problem, several parts needed lubricant. I think it's a good idea to send them in if it hasn't been worn for some time, that way you are rest assured its good as new when start wearing it, they also give you a 2 year warranty after the service.
///armin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:23 AM   #12
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///armin View Post
I purchased a "new" AP ROC 26300 H series 2 years ago, the watch had been sitting on the dealer shelf for a few years, immediately after I started wearing I noticed the watch running too fast, common issue from what I found out on these. I sent it to AP and paid $1350 for a "complete maintenance service", they said that since the watch had been sitting for some time, it's common to have this problem, several parts needed lubricant. I think it's a good idea to send them in if it hasn't been worn for some time, that way you are rest assured its good as new when start wearing it, they also give you a 2 year warranty after the service.
Why did you pay for that service? On my watch I didn't pay anything even though it had been sitting at the dealer a little over a year.
Old 14 February 2017, 11:49 AM   #13
rolex01
"TRF" Member

For me, I will only send in when the watch have issue to mitigate the below risk.

By sending it in you are putting your watch into "additional risk" due to the following reasons.

1. inappropriate handling of your time piece (come back with additional scratches)
2. incompetency of the watch maker (the person service your time piece might be a junior grade) and you might get additonal issue with your time piece.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:05 PM   #14
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
I'd wear it and see how it does
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:16 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Let sleeping watches lie for 10 years.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
If it works cool, if it doesn't then send it in

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 03:42 PM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
I'd only service every 5 years or so given heavy use. I'm in the minority who will wear their AP every day. Or I alternative watches. I'll wear each watch every day for a week then switch to another one.

But if you wear it like it's a garage queen car then don't service it for a long while. I have a james bond edition omega I got maybe like 9 years ago, I still haven't serviced it. I really didn't start wearing it regularly till around 3 years ago, and even then it's not that often. Works perfectly fine.
The one downside from noting how accurately an older watch runs, is that it can appear to be working just fine, but the lubrication properties have diminished and therefore creating greater wear.
The better method of determining the state of health of a movement, is to get it on a timegrapher and see what its amplitude is like.
Even then that’s not a perfect solution, and a visual inspection is going to be the best method – but that involves removing the case back.

The real answer lies in whether it’s better to have peace of mind more regularly or to accept that it costs what it costs whenever you see it starting to exhibit signs of needing a service.

Regards the above comment about seals at 9 years, on a watch that’s seen no water/perspiration/etc – I’d be inclined to say they’re still perfectly fine, but a pressure test should be done, just for added peace of mind.
Any good repair facility in whichever country/city you’re in, will be able to test 50m WR and should have a timegrapher to give an opinion on what they think the state of health the movement is in.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I'm also of the thought if it's not broken don't break it...
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 04:26 PM   #19
KarlS
Banned

Wouldn't touch it...just see if major deviation in amplitude over time
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 02:00 AM   #20
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I had a similar situation with my 300. I use it least of my watches mainly for dress occasions. It's on a winder most of the time and running within 2 seconds a day without having had a service. I'm good with that and won't send it for service until it's out of COSC.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 02:13 AM   #21
m32
"TRF" Member

I was/am in the same predicament. Bought an AP that was a safe queen since 2007. I called AP Clearwater and they said that the oils will dry out over time. I decided to hold off (bought it in Oct 16) and have been hesitant to take it in the water b/c I'm afraid the seals may need replacing. Long story short, I'm sending it in today to APSC. My thoughts are this is an expensive timepiece and I will need to get it serviced sooner or later so why not now and not worry about it going forward.

Edwin
m32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 02:17 AM   #22
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Set the watch to the atomic clock, and see how many seconds you gain/lose. If it's +- a few seconds per day your fine.

I have a 1960's constellation that sat for 20+ years and keeps perfect time.... no service and not planning to either

Service it if it's not working or you notice moisture on the glass
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 06:04 AM   #23
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex01 View Post
For me, I will only send in when the watch have issue to mitigate the below risk.

By sending it in you are putting your watch into "additional risk" due to the following reasons.

1. inappropriate handling of your time piece (come back with additional scratches)
2. incompetency of the watch maker (the person service your time piece might be a junior grade) and you might get additonal issue with your time piece.
^This. AP claims my bezel was perfect but I know they scratched it and just kept saying it was normal or "part of the finishing".
Old 22 February 2017, 07:30 PM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Thanks guys, I think I will wear it for some time and see if the accuracy is good, if not then send it in, but if it's ok probably send it in 2 years
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote