The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 January 2017, 06:30 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

Rolex OCD= Anal Retentive

The increasing number of TRF/General Discussion OPs pertaining to scrutinizing case-size diameters, the virtues of Cape Cod polishing cloths, and trivial concerns regarding minor variations of -/+ 1-2 seconds/per day beyond COSC certifications tends to make me wonder.

Are a growing number of Rolex owners (along with a countless number of newbie purchasers) simply too uptight to enjoy their watches?

Perhaps those intrepid and tireless individuals should seek other more fulfilling outlets for satisfying their sense of inner peace (e.g. yoga, knitting, 'Willie Nelson' endeavors or a relaxing snooze). If Sigmund Freud was still around, he could probably write another book pertaining to this somewhat neurotic obsession/fixation.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
in before the there are 86,400 seconds in a day posts.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:34 AM   #3
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
If someone wants to baby their watch, that's their business. If they want to wear it while racing Porsches or riding mountain bikes, that's also ok. To each their own.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
What else would we discuss? This is a watch forum.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #5
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
in before the there are 86,400 seconds in a day posts.
In before cat's whisker post.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
In before cat's whisker post.
Ooooooh, I love cat videos!!!!
Old 20 January 2017, 06:43 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I tend to be a little OCD, which is a good reason to chose Rolex. Do not have to fret about the watches, I know they are built like tanks and will keep good time. I do not measure the timekeeping outside of comparing it to my phone once and awhile to ensure it is "close".
I generally do not participate in the threads you are describing, but people should be able to discuss whatever they want within the forum rules. That is the beauty of a forum like this, you can choose which threads you wish to participate in.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:44 AM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

If case diameters don't matter, why would Rolex bother posting them? If they do matter, shouldn't Rolex be accurate with their stats?

If timing variations don't matter, why would Rolex upgrade its Superlative Chronometer certification to +/- 2spd? Why not just leave it at the standard COSC certification of +6/-4spd? Indeed, why have COSC certification at all? Why not just tell customers that only quartz movements can be relied upon for accuracy, that mechanical watches are all about nostalgia and status, and as long as they're within +/- 1mpd, they should just shut the hell up?

Now excuse me while I go sit on my zafu and try to resist the urge to bonk you over the head with it.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:45 AM   #9
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Still better than pics of Rolex and your xxxx.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
The growing number of TRF/General Discussion OPs pertaining to scrutinizing case-size diameters, the virtues of Cape Cod polishing cloths, and trivial concerns regarding minor variations of -/+ 1-2 seconds/per day beyond COSC certifications tends to make me wonder.

Are a growing number of Rolex owners (along with a countless number of newbie purchasers) simply too uptight to enjoy their watches?

Perhaps those intrepid and tireless individuals should seek other more fulfilling outlets for satisfying their sense of inner peace (e.g. yoga, knitting, 'Willie Nelson' endeavors or a relaxing snooze). If Sigmund Freud was still around, he could probably write another book pertaining to this somewhat neurotic obsession/fixation.
Is someone forcing you to stay on TRF?
Old 20 January 2017, 06:48 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

bristol is a rare breed, each thread creates controversy through introspection.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:48 AM   #12
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatapp View Post
Guns and politics? Oh wait...

Apparently this is a dig at my case size question, so I'll take a stab. This is a watch forum where I was under the impression that we were to discuss anything and everything pertaining to Rolex. As trivial as the specific topic may seem to some posters, if you don't like the topic of discussion, move on to the next thread.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:50 AM   #13
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Dropping $8-$10k on a steel Rolex verses $2k 25 years ago changes some peoples attitudes about how they use/treat it - I don't obsess over them but I don't beat the crap out of them anymore either.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:53 AM   #14
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
bristol is a rare breed, each thread creates controversy through introspection.
What you call introspection, some might call deliberate provocation. Knowing this doesn't stop me from taking the bait, alas.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:55 AM   #15
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Here we go...

Old 20 January 2017, 07:00 AM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
The growing number of TRF/General Discussion OPs pertaining to scrutinizing case-size diameters, the virtues of Cape Cod polishing cloths, and trivial concerns regarding minor variations of -/+ 1-2 seconds/per day beyond COSC certifications tends to make me wonder.

Perhaps those intrepid and tireless individuals should seek other more fulfilling outlets for satisfying their sense of inner peace (e.g. yoga, knitting, 'Willie Nelson' endeavors or a relaxing snooze). If Sigmund Freud was still around, he could probably write another book pertaining to this current obsession/fixation.
I think it's all part of a bigger picture here. Contributing factors include price increases (over the long term history), Rolex marketing and advertising and the steady transition into purely luxury items (meaning that although you can consider a Submariner a "tool watch", it's most definitely become more of a "luxury jewelry" purchase than anything else).

Rolex markets their product to be embody perfection. All within a very short period of time they release one model in 3 different sizes, 2 variants separated by a mere millimeter. They make a huge marketing presentation of the new -2/+2 standards. In the past the made a big deal of a cyclops that magnifies exactly 2.5x.

All of these actions and marketing statements undoubtedly create certain expectations.

I am a strong believer in getting exactly what you pay for. Now, that doesn't mean I expect perfection with every model and certainly I have varying tolerances to certain "issues" but overall, if it's supposed to be a certain way, I want it to be that way.

Is it OCD for me to ask about a brand new watch with a squeaky bracelet? Perhaps, but who cares? I bought my first modern Rolex two years ago and I was definitely curious if that was normal.

A. Of course some people are OCD, that we know.

B. OCD or not, this is a very very specialized forum where every topic you could imagine has and will be discussed, because what else is there to talk about?

C. some people need to practice a little more patience with seemingly OCD inquiries and/or "newbie" questions about their purchase.

E. some people just have a lot more money than others and that absolutely affects how we all feel about our things and especially our luxury items. The induvidual appreciation and attention to detail should be respected as relative behavior. I beat the balls off my Seiko SKX009. To many other people that my Seiko is a grail watch that would be worn for special occasions. Get my point?
Old 20 January 2017, 07:02 AM   #17
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
These watches are works of mechanical art.
To be discussed and considered no less that any other art or jewelry of comparable value.

I am sure more nonsense is discussed regarding fine art, being predisposed to such dribbling, as my wife is in fact an artist.

I think even those of substantial means on this forum, who's watch collections have little impact on their finances, still enjoy this forum to enjoy and fawn over the finest details of their watches.

Otherwise why at all would one spend thousands on a watch they could replace of greater accuracy and durability for $50?
Old 20 January 2017, 07:06 AM   #18
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloreyix View Post
These watches are works of mechanical art.
To be discussed and considered no less that any other art or jewelry of comparable value.

I am sure more nonsense is discussed regarding fine art, being predisposed to such dribbling, as my wife is in fact an artist.

I think even those of substantial means on this forum, who's watch collections have little impact on their finances, still enjoy this forum to enjoy and fawn over the finest details of their watches.

Otherwise why at all would one spend thousands on a watch they could replace of greater accuracy and durability for $50?
Please let's not even get into facet angles on diamonds...
Old 20 January 2017, 07:12 AM   #19
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I really don't call it OCD, I call it "being responsible". I take care of my watches the same way I take care of my cars, my home, or anything else that's mine. If you take care of things properly, service them, clean them, they will last an eternity. That pertains to anything, whether it be watches, cars, houses, down to relationships even! Btw...Stay off my lawn!
Old 20 January 2017, 07:19 AM   #20
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I really don't call it OCD, I call it "being responsible". I take care of my watches the same way I take care of my cars, my home, or anything else that's mine. If you take care of things properly, service them, clean them, they will last an eternity. That pertains to anything, whether it be watches, cars, houses, down to relationships even! Btw...Stay off my lawn!
Old 20 January 2017, 07:22 AM   #21
Etschell
"TRF" Member

id argue polishing with cape cod is being irresponsible - but that is for another thread. honestly you get people of all different backgrounds here. just because i dont polish my watch with cape cod and do take it diving or in the pool etc doesnt mean i abuse it or mistreat it.

a rolex is meant to be used. its like having a porsche and never going over 70 MPH for fear of ruining the engine.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:23 AM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I agree...we do obsess and fawn over our little timepieces shamelessly sometimes. And I freely admit, I'm among the worst.

In my mind, though, the line not to cross is where your watch doesn't bring you joy any more because you're stressing over it. Just my two cents.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:24 AM   #23
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I thought you were talking about Captain Koons in Pulp Fiction for a minute...
Old 20 January 2017, 07:26 AM   #24
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
A. Of course some people are OCD, that we know.

B. OCD or not, this is a very very specialized forum where every topic you could imagine has and will be discussed, because what else is there to talk about?

C. some people need to practice a little more patience with seemingly OCD inquiries and/or "newbie" questions about their purchase.

E. some people just have a lot more money than others and that absolutely affects how we all feel about our things and especially our luxury items.
Call me anal, but you forgot D.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:33 AM   #25
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If you can't afford a replacement or service, then feel the need to baby it (OCD)
You probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with.
In other words wear and enjoy.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:42 AM   #26
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatapp View Post
Thank you, enough said!
Old 20 January 2017, 07:49 AM   #27
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
It seems like there are a lot of such hyper-obsessive folks because they're all concentrated on this forum (as to be expected). As a percentage of total Rolex owners, this group is certainly statistically insignificant. An aberration, if you will. The forum just naturally provides a forum (ha) for them to engage their OCD/anal retentiveness. In other words, as others have suggested, if you're going to obsess over Rolex-related minutiae, this is the place to do it. Still fun to make fun of though....
Old 20 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #28
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I'm just going to sit this one out and eat my salt and vinegar chips *Crunch*
Old 20 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #29
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
It seems like there are a lot of such hyper-obsessive folks because they're all concentrated on this forum (as to be expected). As a percentage of total Rolex owners, this group is certainly statistically insignificant. An aberration, if you will. The forum just naturally provides a forum (ha) for them to engage their OCD/anal retentiveness.
Old 20 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Call me anal, but you forgot D.
Hahaha my bad. Typing quick on iPhone.

D. Don't forget D
Closed Thread