The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 February 2017, 11:08 AM   #1
jmb221
"TRF" Member

14060 Submariner serial numbers help

I acquired a 14060 submariner with a U21 serial number. Some sources place production in 1997 and others in 1998. It has the T25 dial though i think its behaving like a luminova (still unsure).

It charges in light but only lasts a couple mins time before dimming significantly (i've heard tritium can do this too just because of the paint). It doesnt last long enough to convince me it's luminova - How long should luminova charge last?

Anyway do the numbers in the serial number tell me any more details about the watch?
jmb221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
U serials were first seen in late '96 and made for a few years, easily into the Luminova era.

Yours has a tritium dial so it is likely in the earlier part of the production run.

It is always the "paint" that glows. Tritium is a colorless radioactive compound that excites the paint at all times and so if the tritium is active, the paint glows. The paint will still glow for a very short period when excited. If it is Luminova it will glow brightly for several hours after exposure to light.
Old 9 February 2017, 02:32 PM   #3
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
If it's a T-dial that charges with light exposure, I would say that it's been re-lumed at some point.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 01:33 AM   #4
jmb221
"TRF" Member

I don't believe 'relume' is all that common is it?

I've read some of the early luminova ones still used t25 dials because they had in stock, i was thinking this is the more likely case but again i'm still not convinced what lume i have.

For the serial number, i get that the letter is the generation but do the numbers have any meaning? like production number? or options code?
Old 10 February 2017, 02:31 AM   #5
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
Some U series watches Marked Tritium can in fact be Luminova

I have had a couple U see GMT's & Sub's with "Swiss T<25" that are in fact Luminova from the factory, not re-lumed, so this watch is correct. Although would have to see pics to be 100% certain. But it's very likely ok.

Justin
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 03:42 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
If it's a T-dial that charges with light exposure, I would say that it's been re-lumed at some point.
Not necessarily. Quite common for original tritium dials from the '90s to still have a little glow left. My all-original 14060, also a U-serial, still has a faint uniform glow from the tritium on the dial, hands and bezel insert pearl. You don't notice it right away in the dark, but once your eyes adjust, it's definitely there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
I have had a couple U see GMT's & Sub's with "Swiss T<25" that are in fact Luminova from the factory, not re-lumed, so this watch is correct. Although would have to see pics to be 100% certain. But it's very likely ok.

Justin
Yes, that's true, but those are service replacement dials, and the glow from the luminova on them would be much stronger and easier to identify as such. The tritium dials from the '90s that still glow a little are pretty faint, in my experience anyway.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 06:52 AM   #7
U5512
"TRF" Member

My U-serial Sub has "Swiss Made" and luminova dial and hands.

It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 08:20 AM   #8
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb221 View Post
. . .
For the serial number, i get that the letter is the generation but do the numbers have any meaning? like production number? or options code?
The letter is not a generation number, it is just part of the serial number, which is meaningless except to identify that particular cased watch.

Letter prefixes were begun after Rolex finished up with their 6 digit number combinations in ~1987, and are not meaningful in any way except for the general "dating" that enthusiasts have discovered, and even those are not 100 percent accurate.
Old 10 February 2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Tools

Quote:
. . .
The letter is not a generation number, it is just part of the serial number, which is meaningless except to identify that particular cased watch.

Letter prefixes were begun after Rolex finished up with their 7 digit number combinations in ~1987, and are not meaningful in any way except for the general "dating" that enthusiasts have discovered, and even those are not 100 percent accurate.
Old 10 February 2017, 09:57 AM   #10
jmb221
"TRF" Member

The funny thing to me is that if it is luminova it is the worst darn lume i've ever seen. It takes a bright light to get a decent glow and it only lasts minutes. Can anyone with confirmed luminova relate to this?
Old 10 February 2017, 10:41 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
The funny thing to me is that if it is luminova it is the worst darn lume i've ever seen. It takes a bright light to get a decent glow and it only lasts minutes. Can anyone with confirmed luminova relate to this?
Can you post some photos? That would help determine whether it's luminova or not. Based on your description, I would guess it's tritium. The glow from luminova would be brighter and would last longer than aging tritium.

Here's my U-serial 14060, all tritium. Luminova will have a whiter appearance than tritium, which takes on a warmth in tone as it ages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUB 14060 NATO.jpg (286.8 KB, 300 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 10:53 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I acquired a 14060 submariner with a U21 serial number. Some sources place production in 1997 and others in 1998. It has the T25 dial though i think its behaving like a luminova (still unsure).

It charges in light but only lasts a couple mins time before dimming significantly (i've heard tritium can do this too just because of the paint). It doesnt last long enough to convince me it's luminova - How long should luminova charge last?

Anyway do the numbers in the serial number tell me any more details about the watch?
The low U serial (U2 as opposed to, say, U8 or U9) and the almost dead lume indicate that you have one of the last tritium dials.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 06:43 PM   #13
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Not necessarily. Quite common for original tritium dials from the '90s to still have a little glow left. My all-original 14060, also a U-serial, still has a faint uniform glow from the tritium on the dial, hands and bezel insert pearl. You don't notice it right away in the dark, but once your eyes adjust, it's definitely there.
Yes, but as mentioned, the OP stated that it charges with exposure to light. That indicates that there is some sort of photo-luminescent material present.
He also stated that the charge time was very short. That is what made me think it may be a re-lume job (using sub-par lume material). My second guess would be that it's a standard factory Luminova service dial, as Justin surmised.

Close up pics of the dial (before/after light charge) would help to clarify.

Old 11 February 2017, 07:18 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Not a relume, just a little of the original phosphorescence remaining that the weak tritium us unable to activate but exposure to sunlight can activate for a very short time.
This is not uncommon.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 02:20 PM   #15
jmb221
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The low U serial (U2 as opposed to, say, U8 or U9) and the almost dead lume indicate that you have one of the last tritium dials.
So the numbers do mean something? ie lower number is earlier production?
Old 12 February 2017, 02:30 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
So the numbers do mean something? ie lower number is earlier production?
Or earlier supply/sale at least (from what I have gathered). Higher serial numbers tend to come with later dated papers than lower numbers in any given letter series for the same model. Same goes for transitional feature changes like dials, movements.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 06:57 PM   #17
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Not a relume, just a little of the original phosphorescence remaining that the weak tritium us unable to activate but exposure to sunlight can activate for a very short time.
This is not uncommon.
I've seen that before on plenty of vintage 60's tritium-dial pieces when Rolex was using zinc-sulfide paint that appeared to have substantial copper impurities.
Some of them even had a green (Cu) tint to the lume itself. That mix seemed to be more resistant to tritium degradation as well, and many still glow quite nicely when exposed to light (photoluminescence).
However, I have never seen (or been able to replicate) this effect in practice on any 80's-90's pieces. I've owned several T-dialed Subs & GMTs from that era, including a few later U & A serials.
Not one would "charge" with exposure to light. Once the tritium (radiation) killed the paint's ability to phosphoresce, that was it. Nothing would make them glow, even for a second.

So, it would seem that whatever paint mix Rolex was using during the 80's-90's was either very sensitive to tritium degradation, or made to be radio-luminescent but not photo-luminescent.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:35 PM   #18
jmb221
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried taking pics but my only camera is an old iphone and can't get one in focus for some reason.

Guess time will tell if its tritium or luminova