The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 06:59 PM   #511
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
just read thru this thread. Highly entertaining and educational -- quite the exciting saga!
-dan

+1
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:38 PM   #512
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

What a crazy long thread! Just read the whole thing.

As I read it, I kept thinking he’s trolling. It was his first post. At one point, he mentions his girlfriend doesn’t yet have a gold wedding ring, to only later on say he bought a watch for his ‘Mrs’. There were several TRF members that recreated the potential photoshop. The photo of his repaired watch shows a lot of swirls and scratches, as if RSC didn’t polish it. And he never actually posted any correspondence or service estimates from Rolex.

Sorry, but I’m not convinced. I know, I know, everything on the internet is true....
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:29 PM   #513
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Speak for yourself. I don’t recall anyone electing you forum spokesperson. I’ve seen something similar happen with other watch brands and happen to believe it happened in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
Was your neighbor's watch authentic? Did he buy it at an AD? We don't believe it, post pictures. And if you do, prove that they're not PhotoShopped. Post more videos. We've been wearing our Rolex watches for decades in hot tubs, no problem. Tell him to post his original paperwork too. We still won't believe him because many of us have been around the forums for years and we've seen it all, scammers and fakes. Did he say it's authentic? Where did he buy it? He said it was from an AD?? Well how would we know that, you think we waste time reading threads? I'm no professional chemist, but I do know that gold mixture can't react, everyone knows that. Any chemist that says otherwise, well he's probably a chemistry expert, and we all know that experts are all wrong. No way that it's real, I just went swimming yesterday and no problem.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:42 PM   #514
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
If whom ever owned the hot tub were using chlorine bleach instead of the proper chemicals in the water it could have discolored the gold that way. Chlorine oxidizes gold. Chlorine and gold do not mix.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 02:02 AM   #515
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos View Post
This is why your mom always warned you to never pee in the pool
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:01 AM   #516
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGreg View Post
ITS FINALLY BACK!

Had the call from my AD today (please note I didn’t purchase the watch from them originally and they treated me as if I had, Amazing service from Jamie at Watches Of Switzerland In Cardiff - will be purchasing more from him in the future)

But It’s not back, it looks like they have polished it as the bezel isn’t as sharp as my other DJ but it takes a real good look/feel (I might even be wrong) but they have done an amazing job and didn’t charge me a penny.

Also, Rolex Head Office in Geneva seen this post so we know they’re watching and paying attention.

Really Happy, hats off to Rolex & Watches Of Switzerland in Cardiff, Wales!
Glad to see it back, and that things were made right!

Did you ever hear their hypothesis as to why this happened? It seems odd that slightly elevated levels of chlorine would have resulted in such a drastic change.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:55 PM   #517
Lucifer
"TRF" Member

It’s a fake watch
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:02 PM   #518
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Haha! I’d rather have an untarnished DJ than anything a suburban sex pond could throw at me. ��
"Suburban Sex Pond" is my new band name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
It’s a fake watch
um. How 'bout no?
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:18 PM   #519
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Good thing it's a slow night at work cause it allowed for me to read all 18 pages of this thread with bated breath. Whew. It was like reading a novel--I knew the ending would be about 18 pages away but I kept flipping the page reading and reading--excited for the outcome.

I would have shat myself if that happened to my watch. Glad that Rolex resolved the issue to the OP's satisfaction. Regardless of what others think, if the OP is happy with the outcome, that's all that really matters.

And congrats on your interim purchases while you were waiting for Rolex to resolve the situation!
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:45 PM   #520
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

30 seconds in a Speed Brite and it would have been back to normal without polishing
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:34 PM   #521
jcj
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear it worked out well, OP.
jcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 05:18 AM   #522
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
What happened here can happen to any and all gold jewelry. Here is an article that explains it pretty well.

Quote:
Technical Articles
We have hundreds of educational articles available on our web site and we're always adding more, so come back often to search our database.

Posted on January 1, 2008

Do Chemicals Affect Your Gold?
Author Jerry BowersCategories Consumer Tips, MetalsTags chemicals, gold, metal options, tarnish

The wife loses a stone; the husband blames the wife; the wife blames the jeweler; the jeweler blames the manufacturer; the manufacturer looks for an answer. Hoover & Strong answers the question. What causes most prong breakage? Chlorine and bromine. Where does it come from? Hot tubs, swimming pools and laundry products. Hoover & Strong has conducted a controlled experiment to determine the effect of common chlorine and bromine products on jewelry settings. We tested household bleach, (heated and unheated), hot tub chlorine and bromine solutions, and a chlorine free dishwashing detergent. We tested 14K and 18K nickel white settings; set and unset, rhodium plated and not plated; palladium white gold and platinum settings.

Hoover & Strong’s testing rates their products from the most durable to the least durable as follows: Platinum; rhodium plated 14K palladium white gold, 14K palladium white gold; rhodium plated nickel white gold, 18K nickel white gold; and 14K nickel white gold.

Chlorine and bromine are commonly used chemical products to prevent bacteria from growing in our drinking water, in swimming pools and hot tubs. Too much of these compounds added may cause a human health threat and a durability problem for settings. The higher the concentration, the longer the exposure and the higher the temperature, the faster the deterioration of the settings.

Stress occurs in metals when they are worked. Stress can be relieved in metals by proper heat treating. A simple experiment to demonstrate this can be performed by bending a paper clip until It breaks off, count the number of times you bend the paper clip. Next bend the same paper clip just short of its breaking point. Heat the paper clip to a cherry red and let it cool. This IS called annealing. Now bend the paper clip and count the number of times you have to bend it before it breaks. The annealing relieved the paper clip stress.

The test solutions are listed in order from the product causing the most damage to the least harmful.

The rings soaked in heated bleach suffered the most catastrophic failure. The 14K nickel white gold was the first to fail in all solutions except the household detergent. The household detergent had little or no effect on the rings or settings. The test was stopped when the first setting failed and all items were compared.

Based on our testing, a consumer wearing a 14K nickel white gold setting would lose a stone or expect prong breakage as follows:

Results Of Each Solution

5% chlorine bleach heated to 110°F, prong failure would occur after 21 hours of exposure. Only the platinum and palladium white gold settings held their stones in the worst test solution.
5% chlorine bleach room temperature -prong failure would occur after 120 hours of exposure.
5 ppm (parts per million) chlorine using hot tub chemicals-prong failure would occur after 312 hours or 156 days.*
5 ppm (parts per million) bromine using hot tub chemicals-prong failure would occur after 384 hours or 192 days. *
Household detergent -no visible effects on the setting.
* based on 2 hours a day, 7 days a week
Recommendations

Hoover & Strong’s recommendations: Use platinum settings, 14K palladium white settings. Rhodium plate 18K or 14K white settings, the rhodium plating will provide a protective coating to protect the setting; similar to paint stopping rust.

Last but not least, tell your customers not to wear their jewelry in hot tubs and swimming pools. Take jewelry off when using laundry or cleaning products. NEVER, NEVER clean rings with bleach. Suggest that they bring them to you for cleaning and a checkup, just like going to the dentist to have their teeth cleaned and checked.

Copyright® 1998 Hoover & Strong
http://technical-articles.hooverands...ect-your-gold/
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:34 AM   #523
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
[edited for useless content] Please see next post ~ !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:34 AM   #524
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
I’ve give it a clean - didn’t make a difference. Here is a pic.
OH MAN, ya got the watch too hot from the water in the tub ~ !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:18 AM   #525
DGP
"TRF" Member

My AD “told me off” for wearing expensive watches in the sauna and hot tub. He then went on to sell me a bronze Tudor.
I’ve had fun watching it change colour!
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:27 AM   #526
Burgman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
This is interesting OP.

Take it to your AD to have them look at it and explain the situation to them, then keep us updated please

Good luck

You should consider this IMO..
Burgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:32 AM   #527
mtasquared
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 Submariner
Man, that was awful. Good stuff to know, and glad it worked out for you (edited my post). I have a two tone Rolex, and do not want to go through what you went through.
Old 23 January 2022, 05:18 PM   #528
Georgevlado
"TRF" Member

This was an interesting post
Georgevlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 10:31 AM   #529
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgevlado View Post
This was an interesting post
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 12:45 PM   #530
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This was an interesting read and I am glad it worked out. One question I am left with though is if a dip bath like Connoisseurs Fine Jewelry Cleaner would have taken this off? I've had sterling suffer severe discoloration from a hot tub and it has taken it right to new, although obviously there would be more considerations with the watch head.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 11:41 AM   #531
ducatiti
Banned

This just got linked via another thread. Too lazy to browse, what page shows the solution? :)
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:14 PM   #532
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:23 PM   #533
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:34 PM   #534
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Halides on the periodic table can influence the color and strength (yes, strength) of gold. You might get lucky and get the orange hugh out with a professional polish or dip of some sort. The best option is to go to an AD or local jeweler for advice. This is not the time for home remedies.

For those that didn't know, halides include fluoride, chloride, bromide, iodide etc. We don't usually come in contact with halides unless, of course, you happen to jump into a pool or hot tub. In the case of high-purity gold, the color can change (a simple search on youtube will show lots of science experiments showing how). Also, over time, it WILL weaken the gold. So, if you or someone you know wears diamonds set in high-purity gold. Keep the jewelry out of the pool. If you MUST swim with diamonds, platinum is a better choice.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:50 PM   #535
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I remember this one.

That photo on page one is photoshopped. That's my feeling.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 01:51 PM   #536
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I remember this one.

That photo on page one is photoshopped. That's my feeling.
Sup Mikey.. and I thought the problem was resolved. lol
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:09 PM   #537
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Sup Mikey.. and I thought the problem was resolved. lol
It’s not hard to find.. just scroll back a couple pages or look through the OP’s previous posts as he doesn’t have many.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=440
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 01:19 AM   #538
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
18 karat gold is around 10% copper. If copper is oxidized by chlorine to copper (II) chloride anhydrous, the result is a brown color...which, when combined with yellow gold, would probably look red-ish.

If something like this really is what happened, I hope at the very least it shuts up the snide nitwits who mock anyone for asking whether it's safe to perform a given activity while wearing an expensive watch.
This ^^^^
creepy neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 03:52 AM   #539
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
To add... it’s not like I was in there a long time - it was around 30 minutes before I actually noticed the colour change - at first I thought (I must be drunk) but obviously not.
Did you come out with all your body parts?
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:00 AM   #540
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I just read the whole thread. Fascinating.

OP got the watch polished eventually, to his satisfaction. I was hoping for some chemical treatment to reverse the initial reaction of chloride/bromide on gold. A solution to prevent the watch from being polished.

At least I've learnt I won't be taking my TT Sub into a hot tub anytime soon. Will stick to steel.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote