The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you flip 2 ROO's for a Datograph
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 August 2017, 05:24 AM   #91
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
First of all, awesome pair of APs. I have the Dato, albeit in pink gold. Yes, the resale isn't great, but it's honestly not a watch I'd want to ever move. It's highly versatile, can be formal or surprisingly casual. If you're going to get one, I think 30% is doable. That's the discount I negotiated plus another 5% VAT (along with a great exchange rate at the time).

If I were in your position, I'd keep the 44 RG and move the Ti. The RG adds a bit of color, and to me, is more of a statement piece compared to the Ti. As you know, I absolutely love the new dial (I'm sure I'm a bit biased since I also have the same dial!)

Of course if you have the means to do so, keep the pair of APs and add the Dato later.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 05:28 AM   #92
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
Are secondary markets any kinder to APs? It seems to me that aside from Patek and Rolex (and to some degree RM), most watch brands lose 30-40% in the secondary market.
considering the recent thread with 25% AD discounts being discussed for an AP, resale has to be affected in a major way. In the UK its less of an issue as you can't get that kind of discount so it helps protect value retention a bit more. I recently sold a diver (bought pre UK price rise) and sold it for almost what i paid. If it was not for the price increase i would have lost 20% but i lost 5% vs what i paid. I would have done better if i had sold it myself but was happy with the result.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 05:34 AM   #93
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2TTS View Post
First of all, awesome pair of APs. I have the Dato, albeit in pink gold. Yes, the resale isn't great, but it's honestly not a watch I'd want to ever move. It's highly versatile, can be formal or surprisingly casual. If you're going to get one, I think 30% is doable. That's the discount I negotiated plus another 5% VAT (along with a great exchange rate at the time).

If I were in your position, I'd keep the 44 RG and move the Ti. The RG adds a bit of color, and to me, is more of a statement piece compared to the Ti. As you know, I absolutely love the new dial (I'm sure I'm a bit biased since I also have the same dial!)

Of course if you have the means to do so, keep the pair of APs and add the Dato later.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt!

Im trying to not let go of either. The RG would make a bigger dent in the cost of the Dato so thats really the only reason its the one being considered. The more i think about it the more i am leaning back to keeping what i have and just pushing the Dato purchase down to road for when i can just add it to the collection. That is the best scenario, my patience is an issue though

i really, really don't want to flip the RG and then have to buy it back later when i decide i miss it. That would be a disaster.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 August 2017, 06:28 AM   #94
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
This thread inspired me to order one also. Who'da thunk an AP forum could have that effect?
Wowowow so jealous of you guys.

I have an equity payout coming my way (my company was recently acquired), but it's 2-3 years out. Really have my eye on the 1815 so I'll have to live vicariously through you all in the meantime.

Maybe one of you two will decide to flip the watch and sell it to me at the infamous low ALS resale price.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:57 AM   #95
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Idk if I'd go so far to say RG audemars is a dime a dozen. I've seen maybe one in the wild in my whole life.

And the titanium is being produced more than any other......
Even if there is a greater volume of Titanium 44s being made right now, the fact is that a RG Audemars (RO or ROO, inc chronos) are in much greater abundance – that makes a Titanium model rarer.
Don’t get hung up over a figure of speech – it’s not meant to be taken as literal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
RG 44 dime a dozen ... that's the funniest statement of the year ... and not a good funny.
Selective reading or lack of basic comprehension – I don’t know which, but the fact remains the 44 wasn’t singled out or specifically mentioned.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 07:45 AM   #96
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I know its relative, but I truly don't think the term "much greater abundance" is appropriate with relation to any RG AP.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 07:54 AM   #97
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when you put it that way, it does sound bad. Im going to sit tight, no impulse decisions for the moment.
My man
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 08:55 AM   #98
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Do whatever you want, whenever you want – forget playing to this crowd, as it’s only your happiness which counts for anything.
RG Audemars are a dime a dozen, whereas Titanium features much less, which with the ROO being a relatively bulky piece means you’re better off with less weight rather than more.
Quote:
Selective reading or lack of basic comprehension – I don’t know which, but the fact remains the 44 wasn’t singled out or specifically mentioned.
In the context of this thread, one can only assume you are talking about the 44 ... Either way, saying ANY RG AP is a dime a dozen is a bit rich ...

Anyway, no big deal dude, I like you an enjoy your posts, but not always have to agree with you.

PS, my reading comprehension is excellent thank you very much ... I agree he'd be better off with more weight.
Old 25 August 2017, 09:19 AM   #99
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I know its relative, but I truly don't think the term "much greater abundance" is appropriate with relation to any RG AP.
Think of the decades that AP has been making RG ROs and ROOs – forget relative, it’s absolute.
Old 25 August 2017, 09:30 AM   #100
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
In the context of this thread, one can only assume you are talking about the 44 ... Either way, saying ANY RG AP is a dime a dozen is a bit rich ...
You know the rule – never ASSUME, as it makes an ASS of U and ME.
I specifically stated Audemars as a whole, not any particular model – that was completely intentional.

Quote:
PS, my reading comprehension is excellent thank you very much ... I agree he'd be better off with more weight.
Are you sure about that?
You still have phone a friend and ask the audience lifelines in play.
Old 25 August 2017, 10:06 AM   #101
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
You know the rule – never ASSUME, as it makes an ASS of U and ME.
I specifically stated Audemars as a whole, not any particular model – that was completely intentional.

Are you sure about that?
You still have phone a friend and ask the audience lifelines in play.
You missed the joke there ... nevermind.
Old 25 August 2017, 08:11 PM   #102
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This thread inspired me to order one also. Who'da thunk an AP forum could have that effect?
No, this thread didn't inspire me to get the 1815 chrono blk. I started my own thread last week after reading hodinkee and trying on the boutique edition. This piece is really in a different league of its own & I find it nicer than 5170g.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 08:16 PM   #103
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
No, this thread didn't inspire me to get the 1815 chrono blk. I started my own thread last week after reading hodinkee and trying on the boutique edition. This piece is really in a different league of its own & I find it nicer than 5170g.
so what you are telling me is i can't take credit for your selection then, due to the discussion that started here?

Its a beautiful watch. Please post lots of pics. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 26 August 2017, 07:36 AM   #104
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Based on your current collection, as noted in your signature, I am inclined to support the proposed swap.

As it stands today, you have several AP Royal Oak pieces and, whilst there is a notable difference between the Royal Oak and Royal Oak Offshore models, particularly with your Royal Oak Offshores being the pieces they are, the Royal Oak Selfwinding is not only the most classic, but I would argue the most versatile. Each of your Royal Oak Offshore pieces is also without the bracelet, which whilst having its advantages, does also remove one of the core AP signature features. Everything depends on personal taste, of course, but to me, the Royal Oak Offshore is relatively indiscrete to the Royal Oak Selfwinding.

Losing the two chronographs from your collection makes the selection of the ALS Datograph a useful addition. The iconic ALS Datograph is not only an absolutely stunning timepiece, but also a significant one. To my eyes, the movement is absolutely staggeringly enthralling to view - and I am sure would be even more so in real life. The brand and the timepiece themselves are discreet, whilst the overall look is both elegant and versatile as a casual and (semi-)formal piece. In my view, as chronographs go, this is one of the finest available and, whilst being very different to the AP Royal Oak Offshores, is a step above. I'm sure that the platinum case also has a satisfying density, colour, finish and feel. The manual movement is an enjoyable and strong bonus in my view.

On pricing, I am not sure what insight I can offer, but your note on being able to access the UK's VAT refund facility likely offers an excellent opportunity to acquire this piece brand new from an AD and carry a lower than normal level of depreciation risk. ALS is an increasingly well-known and popular brand with a highly limited production. Whilst production may well rise, it is also so that their prices may do also - even if they are already at a rather high relative level. Certainly, it is my expectation that long-term resale values will improve as brand awareness grows, as their product offering is rather strong - not least for being very different from the more 'mainstream' brands (even including the relatively 'rarefied' likes of AP and PP).

With your Royal Oak Offshore Rose Gold 44 due back from service, it is in the best possible standing for an optimal sale. So whilst you note that you may well delay the sale and purchase, perhaps there is no time like the present...

Personally, I would sell both the AP Royal Oak Offshores and add the ALS Datograph, all other things permitting.

I hope the long reply adds some value.

PS. In your shoes, with the PP 5164A in the collection, I would look to sell the Rolex GMT Master II.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 06:13 AM   #105
lapince
"TRF" Member

Tyler, if you have any doubts, just go back to my 2 posts on page 2, I have nothing to add, from my side all was said and done. Don't listen to anyone except me
And since you thought of keeping the 2 44's so little time after purchase, imagine the bath you'll take when you will sell the Dato, like me you are not a second hand guy, even with good discount and VAT refund, it will be hard to sell and you'll loose more than on the 2 44's combined. Doing it is madness, it's the 2 coolest 44's or AP's in my book, ok I put my CE diver up there at the same level IMHO, keep them, and in a year you need to flip something for a dato see then, datos aren't going anywhere!!!!!
Old 27 August 2017, 07:41 AM   #106
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Tyler needs a voice of reason. Serg is mine...

Me: Hey Serg, should I trade my 44 for a... (flip in the blank)

Serg: No.

And that's that, lol.
Old 28 August 2017, 12:45 PM   #107
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I find myself attracted more to ALS than PP in recent years. With that said, I still wouldn't trade two 44s for it. If anything, one 44 and the 15400 as the Dato (or that new 1815) can replace the 15400.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 02:00 PM   #108
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post

And that's that, lol.

LMAO

997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 07:40 PM   #109
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post

And that's that, lol.
That's another way to put it, which is quite reasonable indeed, can't believe someone would want to sell the 2 coolest ROO's he JUST got for a Dato no really don't get it...
Old 28 August 2017, 09:19 PM   #110
CanPam
"TRF" Member

I´d keep the ROOs without any doubt, the Datograph is a complete different concept for me...
Old 3 September 2017, 09:22 PM   #111
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

When I'm in doubt, i always go for quality than quantity.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:35 PM   #112
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
When I'm in doubt, i always go for quality than quantity.

Quantity quality trumps quality

I'll take 2 quality watches over 1 quality watch all day long!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:42 PM   #113
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Quantity quality trumps quality

I'll take 2 quality watches over 1 quality watch all day long!
Good for you sir. I'm happily biased.

Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:50 PM   #114
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
Good for you sir. I'm happily biased.

I have owned 2 Dato's and a Platinum Double Split and they are amazing watches of course! My point was that both AP and Lange are high quality watches so quality doesn't trump quantity in this case simply different style and different watches.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 September 2017, 10:23 PM   #115
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have owned 2 Dato's and a Platinum Double Split and they are amazing watches of course! My point was that both AP and Lange are high quality watches so quality doesn't trump quantity in this case simply different style and different watches.
mind me asking why they are no longer in the collection?

I agree with the quality/quantity line of thinking. They are both exceptional brands.
Old 3 September 2017, 11:19 PM   #116
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: x2 H. Moser & Cie.
Different (end user) tastes and preferences => different choices.

For example, the Dato (old version or new, doesn't really matter) is a timepiece that flies almost completely under the radar. Therefore one question may as well be, is this attribute important to the person considering the swap?

The Dato leather strap is specifically manufactured for the Dato. Compared to all the different custom straps I have had made for my other watches, the only strap that did not produce or collect considerable sweat daily in excessively humid weather (Singapore) was the ALS one carried on the Dato.

The Dato is not a dress watch. It's more sporty than dressy. Especially the platinum version, it can be worn with almost any outfit during the day. At the office formal, business casual, or Steve Jobs/Google business culture style, anything, you name it. Can the AP ROO 44mm RG be worn as easy? Not a chance. On the other hand, can the Dato be worn at the beach, or in the pool of your hotel if you're travelling frequently? Absolutely not. The AP ROO, any AP ROO with a rubber strap can, of course.

Resale value. The loss of $$$ for a watch enthusiast comes predominantly from excessive flipping, from buying at brand boutiques, and/or from not bothering to do enough pre-purchase research. One cannot (and should not) choose to purchase a timepiece solely on the basis of resale value. If one wants first and foremost to not lose $$$ from any watch acquisition, they better only stick with either a PP 5711/1A, a Daytona Ceramic SS, or 2-3 more models of similar popularity and calibre.

To the AP 44mm RG + Ti owner to whom the swap originally crossed his mind, you know that in absolute $$$ terms it is not presently worth it. You also know that you are very happy with these two APs, (rightfully) wearing and enjoying them at work etc. But you also know very well that the Dato is a vastly superior watch, a timepiece that will blow you away in every aspect and move you to another league, provided it fits your lifestyle. And this is the exact reason why the realistic thought of owning this monumental timepiece is still wandering around in your head.

925 sterling silver oxidized dial, 39mm discreet magic...
Old 3 September 2017, 11:52 PM   #117
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
mind me asking why they are no longer in the collection?

I agree with the quality/quantity line of thinking. They are both exceptional brands.
The proportions of original Dato did not work for me(too small and too think) and the DS was too heavy and big to wear to work. So a dressier watch on leather strap that didn't wear well with dress cuffs didn't work long term for me. The DS was also just so uncomfortable - actually the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned and I have owned a lot! They are amazing to look at and the movements are the best in class. However for me 44's much better suited for weekends and Royal Oak's for work.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 September 2017, 11:58 PM   #118
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The proportions of original Dato did not work for me(too small and too think) and the DS was too heavy and big to wear to work. So a dressier watch on leather strap that didn't wear well with dress cuffs didn't work long term for me. The DS was also just so uncomfortable - actually the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned and I have owned a lot! They are amazing to look at and the movements are the best in class. However for me 44's much better suited for weekends and Royal Oak's for work.
you know thats the only reason i refuse to buy a nice dress watch. I refuse to have an awesome watch that 100% of the time is hidden under a dress cuff. At least with the dato i would wear it in other settings as well.

Ill pay close attention to the comfort though the next time i try it on as I haven't worn it for more than a minute or two. Spent most of the time admiring the back.
Old 4 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #119
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Architect View Post
Different (end user) tastes and preferences => different choices.

For example, the Dato (old version or new, doesn't really matter) is a timepiece that flies almost completely under the radar. Therefore one question may as well be, is this attribute important to the person considering the swap?

The Dato leather strap is specifically manufactured for the Dato. Compared to all the different custom straps I have had made for my other watches, the only strap that did not produce or collect considerable sweat daily in excessively humid weather (Singapore) was the ALS one carried on the Dato.

The Dato is not a dress watch. It's more sporty than dressy. Especially the platinum version, it can be worn with almost any outfit during the day. At the office formal, business casual, or Steve Jobs/Google business culture style, anything, you name it. Can the AP ROO 44mm RG be worn as easy? Not a chance. On the other hand, can the Dato be worn at the beach, or in the pool of your hotel if you're travelling frequently? Absolutely not. The AP ROO, any AP ROO with a rubber strap can, of course.

Resale value. The loss of $$$ for a watch enthusiast comes predominantly from excessive flipping, from buying at brand boutiques, and/or from not bothering to do enough pre-purchase research. One cannot (and should not) choose to purchase a timepiece solely on the basis of resale value. If one wants first and foremost to not lose $$$ from any watch acquisition, they better only stick with either a PP 5711/1A, a Daytona Ceramic SS, or 2-3 more models of similar popularity and calibre.

To the AP 44mm RG + Ti owner to whom the swap originally crossed his mind, you know that in absolute $$$ terms it is not presently worth it. You also know that you are very happy with these two APs, (rightfully) wearing and enjoying them at work etc. But you also know very well that the Dato is a vastly superior watch, a timepiece that will blow you away in every aspect and move you to another league, provided it fits your lifestyle. And this is the exact reason why the realistic thought of owning this monumental timepiece is still wandering around in your head.

925 sterling silver oxidized dial, 39mm discreet magic...
Your original Dato is a beautiful piece and one of my fave watches, and has an incredible looking movement, which I gather is also reliable as I hardly ever hear of timing issues, however I think you are highly overstating the difference in quality between the 44 ROO and it, but your watch is magnificent as evidenced by that smart pic, so I can understand the hyperbole. As Ken says if that Dato was 41mm and not so small then I would own one. I may still yet.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #120
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

My other problem is the 5170G is sort of a grail of mine and I would be trigger shy as those are trading at great prices, imho, these days. Production numbers be damned!

Just curious
White or black dial my friend ?

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote