The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 February 2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Need Rolex Vintage Bracelet repair references

Hi,

I have a a 1972 / 1016 explorer. The watch is in amazing condition but the bracelet is pretty stretched. I am wondering if anyone had any references for someone that can repair the bracelet. I have heard of Michael Young in HK, but would prefer finding someone in the U.S. This watch has sentimental value, it was my mom's, and I am not sure I want to send it all the way to Hong Kong...

Thank you.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 09:13 AM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Mostly heard about Michael Young bc repairs are labor intensive.
Old 23 February 2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
Hi,

I have a a 1972 / 1016 explorer. The watch is in amazing condition but the bracelet is pretty stretched. I am wondering if anyone had any references for someone that can repair the bracelet. I have heard of Michael Young in HK, but would prefer finding someone in the U.S. This watch has sentimental value, it was my mom's, and I am not sure I want to send it all the way to Hong Kong...

Thank you.
You don't send the watch just the band.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Yashio
"TRF" Member

Recently had my stretched vintage datejust jubilee bracelet serviced by Michael Young. I wouldn’t hesitate to send him another. His team does amazing work and his prices are very reasonable. Turn around time was pretty quick as well.
Yashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 11:54 AM   #5
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

To those who used Michael Young's service, can you tell if you can get this service done WITHOUT cosmetically refinishing the bracelet? At some point in the future I'd like to get my 7836 bracelet tightened up, but I don't want to lose the original worn look of the links that matches the unpolished case perfectly. Anyone opted to get the tightening done without refinishing of any kind?
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
To those who used Michael Young's service, can you tell if you can get this service done WITHOUT cosmetically refinishing the bracelet? At some point in the future I'd like to get my 7836 bracelet tightened up, but I don't want to lose the original worn look of the links that matches the unpolished case perfectly. Anyone opted to get the tightening done without refinishing of any kind?
I agree, don’t want any polish either...
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Yashio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
I did, I specially asked him in my notes not to polish and they had no problem with my request
Old 23 February 2018, 01:57 PM   #8
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VintageAKs.OPs,DJs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashio View Post
Recently had my stretched vintage datejust jubilee bracelet serviced by Michael Young. I wouldn’t hesitate to send him another. His team does amazing work and his prices are very reasonable. Turn around time was pretty quick as well.
Michael Young +2.
Of course did not polish or cosmetically alter my bracelet, just sent it back a hell of alot tighter with a little baggie of worn and bent pins.

Cheers,
Rick
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:29 AM   #9
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Yashio & Rick,

Thanks for the info. Really good to know he can do the tightening without refinishing. Now I gotta get serious about sending it in.
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:44 AM   #10
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Good luck with M-Y.. I have sent him emails both last year and 2 months ago asking for repairs on bracelets of mine and he never responded.. I feel like its hit or miss with that guy.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:55 AM   #11
Yashio
"TRF" Member

I can attest to Michael’s slow response time if you email him directly. I had a much quicker response filling out a quote on their website, usually an assistant reply’s on how to ship it.
Old 24 February 2018, 06:08 AM   #12
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

There are a few dealers in the US that do Michael Young-type work, but I suspect they're actually sending it to Michael Young then charging you a premium... might as well cut out the middleman...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:54 AM   #13
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VintageAKs.OPs,DJs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashio View Post
I can attest to Michael’s slow response time if you email him directly. I had a much quicker response filling out a quote on their website, usually an assistant reply’s on how to ship it.
I had good email response and frequent updates once I sent the band in mid-March 2016, I got the band back in Mid- May and was very happy with the work.
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote