The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2018, 04:17 PM   #31
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
Keep the Sub for sure. While I love my PAM's (5 pieces) my regret is that they have all gone way down in value. The 590 was supposed to be a "limited edition"...yeah I've actually see that one in the wild. With regards to my others, I see them online for thousands less than I paid--BNIB.
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:19 PM   #32
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I switched from Rolex awhile ago but I have been in the watch game awhile now and have learned what I like and don't like in a watch. Panerai hits all the buttons for me. I've had 30 Submariners of different flavors and I could care less about them now. They literally do nothing for me and they are a dime a dozen.

However, the key here is knowing what checks YOUR boxes. This is journey you must figure out on your own ultimately.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
One of the most salient quotes, and something I’ve gone through myself. It’s a journey, but one you’ll figure out eventually (hopefully without losing too much money). I’ve found the two coexist perfectly and I’ve just gotten into Panerai myself. Sláinte.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:23 PM   #33
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
I purchased the 114060 No Date Sub C as my first Rolex and was very happy with it. But once I saw a Panerai on my friend's wrist, I feel in love with it. Financially, I wasn't in a position to own both, so I had to give up my Rolex.

Even though I'm back with a Sub again, I loved the Panerai and don't regret owning it for a while. IMO, you should get it. If you love it, great. If not, you can repurchase the Rolex again.

Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:44 PM   #34
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
this was my journey...I flipped my Sub-C for the PAM 389...and haven't looked back.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=466555
Old 23 January 2018, 08:43 AM   #35
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Keep the Sub if you love it.

But plan to ADD Panerai to your collection.

I had been back and forth between the 2 brands. But now I only have 1 Rolex (white Milgauss) and has no plan of adding any more. On the other hands, I am always thinking about whats the next Panerai to get. :D

I have nothing against Rolex, it just feels like EVERY BODY has one. Nothing wrong with that, but I go for something less common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLDN123 View Post
Has anyone made the swap from Rolex to Panerai.

What did you find and did you have any regrets?

I cannot afford both unfortunately, looking for opinions on people who literally swapped one for another, not added one to their collection.

Currently have. Sub C which I do love but I have become pretty obsessed with Panerai as of late and really like the look of them.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 05:01 AM   #36
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
I have had a sub died on my wrist but never a manual wind Pam.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 06:08 AM   #37
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I agree with everyone else, and think you’ve made a good decision to keep the Sub.

Keep the Sub forever, and when you are able to add the Luminor you’ll have a really kick-ass pair.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 06:14 AM   #38
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

I have a PAN Regatta- it's HEAVY!! I wear it about 3 times a year. My Sub is preferred.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:57 PM   #39
Marba
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515
I’ve started my collection with PAM’s tried to add Sub, but was to common and REALLY small on my wrist. Residuals hit PAM’s hard and the value is way down.
But that is just right for the buyers right now to enter the mystical PAM world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:59 PM   #40
jsuarez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've owned +100 watches with about 60 being Rolex and Im not sure of this edge you say Rolex has. Edge in marketing, I'll give you that. Honestly, two different beasts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
This.
Have both. Both are great watches, but both different. No edge to the Rolex at all.
I’d have a tough time deciding if I could only have one of the 2.
jsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:17 PM   #41
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
They are both very different watches and the easier watch to wear will be the sub. I love them both equally and I have the 44mm PAM 1312 and a 116610LN. Even at 44mm, it wears like a 42 due to the smaller lugs and newer “slimmer” movement. But it still is huge and thick. Great for casual wear and a bit of a challege trying to fit under the cuff.

Back to your question, I would not trade a sub for a PAM. Try to save and have both a sub and a PAM in your collection as they complement each other well.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:20 PM   #42
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Do not sell a Rolex for a Panerai. Add or hold

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 03:33 AM   #43
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Sorry to say, I’ve still got my Sub C Hulk but i’d jump ship in a second. Since I’ve owned the Hulk I’ve bought a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and now a PAM 323 and i’d take either over the sub in less than a heartbeat. Every 19/20 year old i know now has a Sub or a DJ on finance, they drive a Ford Fiesta and live in their mums back bedroom and think they’re ‘it’ because they have a Rolex. All the comments on them holding value is a case in point, if you are concerned with a watch holding value then you can’t truly afford the watch.

Buy what YOU want, what you want to look at everyday. I love the don’t part with the Sub comments, if you want one again in the future you’ll find one within 5 minutes as literally everyone their brother and their son have one. Be different.

And before all the hate, I own a Sub and like my Sub but honestly the world of watches is a very interesting place, explore it a bit and then if you still want a Sub at the end if you’re journey, then buy another one
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:53 AM   #44
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
Sorry to say, I’ve still got my Sub C Hulk but i’d jump ship in a second. Since I’ve owned the Hulk I’ve bought a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and now a PAM 323 and i’d take either over the sub in less than a heartbeat. Every 19/20 year old i know now has a Sub or a DJ on finance, they drive a Ford Fiesta and live in their mums back bedroom and think they’re ‘it’ because they have a Rolex. All the comments on them holding value is a case in point, if you are concerned with a watch holding value then you can’t truly afford the watch.

Buy what YOU want, what you want to look at everyday. I love the don’t part with the Sub comments, if you want one again in the future you’ll find one within 5 minutes as literally everyone their brother and their son have one. Be different.

And before all the hate, I own a Sub and like my Sub but honestly the world of watches is a very interesting place, explore it a bit and then if you still want a Sub at the end if you’re journey, then buy another one
Agreed, if it’s about money keep it. If not, the Sub is ubiquitous and can easily be found again. I love my Pam
Old 21 February 2018, 07:45 PM   #45
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Yeah, a women's watch......
It is. I'm going to look for one for Mrs Van D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLDN123 View Post
Thanks.

I’m going to save for a Panerai. Whether or wrong or damn right silly, I don’t think I can let go of a legend like the sub just because I fancy another watch right now which I have no experience of and basically no knowledge.
Smart move. You'll love the PAM so much more after saving for it and you'll sure as eggs be glad you didn't sell the Sub. There's plenty of room in any collection for Rolex and Panerai to co-exist

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:42 AM   #46
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

I have a BLNR and just got my first panerai! Its a perfect combination! Now I feel that I have a watch for any possible moment/outfit

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:11 AM   #47
Jaqesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Great idea to save and add rather than sell the sub. I traded my Datejust II for a PAM 512 that I still have and enjoy. I wouldn't have sold the sub I had for the Panerai. However, I did eventually sell my 114060 and replaced it with a polar Explorer II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jaqesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 07:17 AM   #48
MattyMac
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my language
I've always had a Panerai , a Rolex or a combination of both. Just had a hard time selling a Panerai SE recently and took a pretty healthy loss. Never really lost money on a watch, at least like that. Rolex always are the easy sell cause there's always the demand. So the right move is to hold onto the rolex and find the deal on the Pam.

Rolex is always going to be the safer bet in terms of value.. Still love Panerai, always will though. Panerai market just a soft right now.
Old 27 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #49
spndx
Banned

Watch: AP/Rolex
I have both presently but still wear my Rolex more.
spndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 08:26 AM   #50
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I have been collecting for over 30 years. I own over 15 rolex watches. I see them everywhere. Panerai is rare in my neck of the woods. I love their big bold presence and really like the way I can change the look of the watch with different straps.There are better investment vehicles than watches. Get what you feel is right for you. TIME IS IMPORTANT WHEN YOU'RE IN JAIL! Go slow and enjoy the ride
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:32 AM   #51
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai and Rolex live perfectly together and complement each other. They are both so different yet what they do, no other watch can duplicate. Panerai IS the ultimate strap watch. Rolex, IS the ultimate bracelet watch. I don’t think either watch can replace the other.

Old 28 May 2018, 11:09 PM   #52
fiddyg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Panerai
I’d say save for Panerai. I own a sub and pam104 and love them both.
fiddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:33 AM   #53
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

As everyone has said, ADD Panerai to your collection. Never sell a Rolex to fund one unless you are absolutely done with that particular model. I think Panerai watches make a great addition to Rolex. Whereas Omega occupies very similar territory in terms of looks, Panerai are radically different.

I tend to wear my Rolex watches when I am dressed up, want a classic look, and want to fly under the radar. I wear my Panerai pieces when I am casual, but want to make a statement. Panerai, for me, are like bachelor party watches.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote