The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 February 2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Visited AD in Miami Design District

Well it’s plain to see AP is doing extremely well by the way their salesmen act. Extremely confident and couldn’t care less about your interest or business because they really don’t have anything to sell and as soon as they do it never makes it to the display case. Patek seems to be the same way. Very sad over all. Neither of these brands are anymore special then other top brands like VC, JLC or Breguet who also have boutiques there but they have stock and their people treat you well.

So here is some advice for companies like JLC, VC, Breguet, Breitling and Omega. We all know your movements and quality are just as good as the others but if you want to be popular as AP, Patek and Rolex then get some of you line iced out and then get some rap stars wearing them. Demand will then skyrocket and pressure might be taken off the others. It would be nice to see the AP salesman have to earn his living by selling rather then order taking.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:12 AM   #2
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

To a point I do agree. The game is changing and I fear it will be for the worst down the road. Obviously there is a high level of exclusivity with these brands and that is a huge draw, but sometimes I feel like the top tier brands need to take a page out of the likes of JLC, Omega, VC etc in their availability.

Example... you want a speedmaster? Head to an Omega boutique or an AD and odds are the piece you want is there. If not, they order it and it is delivered in a timely manner. Same with JLC. You want a specific Reverso or that ultra thin perpetual? Same deal. I respect the brands for this but then the vicious cycle of value retention comes to play. Double edge sword.
iceman1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:20 AM   #3
pyceasyas123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Well it’s plain to see AP is doing extremely well by the way their salesmen act. Extremely confident and couldn’t care less about your interest or business because they really don’t have anything to sell and as soon as they do it never makes it to the display case. Patek seems to be the same way. Very sad over all. Neither of these brands are anymore special then other top brands like VC, JLC or Breguet who also have boutiques there but they have stock and their people treat you well.

So here is some advice for companies like JLC, VC, Breguet, Breitling and Omega. We all know your movements and quality are just as good as the others but if you want to be popular as AP, Patek and Rolex then get some of you line iced out and then get some rap stars wearing them. Demand will then skyrocket and pressure might be taken off the others. It would be nice to see the AP salesman have to earn his living by selling rather then order taking.

I actually experienced the exact same treatment last weekend at the AD in Miami. Could have been because of the watches and wonders event but they were rude and not helpful at all. All of the sales people at every other boutique were fantastic. Just AP was very disappointing. I was even wearing my 15202. They didn’t bother to offer to show me anything and for most pieces they said they are not allowed to take them out of the showcase. Pathetic to be treated that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pyceasyas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:23 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
There has been a massive consolidation down to quality and these brands and certain models have been the beneficiaries for sure, as reflected in their resale prices and also in the increasingly indifferent but also frustrated ADs. Must be a tough gig now never having any of the watches 90% of customers want to buy. I can see all three brands vastly reducing their AD networks at this rate, just a waste of real estate and running costs.

Even on this forum so much talk is about resale that any brands who are not in play will struggle and continue to do so, those other brands are actually better off really reducing their supply to create some forced exclusivity, altho whether there is enough money at the luxury level to go around is another issue, I think these brand's positions are fixed now and as the market shrinks to I-tech many will be finished.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:14 AM   #5
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak797 View Post
there has been a massive consolidation down to quality and these brands and certain models have been the beneficiaries for sure, as reflected in their resale prices and also in the increasingly indifferent but also frustrated ads. Must be a tough gig now never having any of the watches 90% of customers want to buy. I can see all three brands vastly reducing their ad networks at this rate, just a waste of real estate and running costs.

Even on this forum so much talk is about resale that any brands who are not in play will struggle and continue to do so, those other brands are actually better off really reducing their supply to create some forced exclusivity, altho whether there is enough money at the luxury level to go around is another issue, i think these brand's positions are fixed now and as the market shrinks to i-tech many will be finished.
x2
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #6
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There has been a massive consolidation down to quality and these brands and certain models have been the beneficiaries for sure, as reflected in their resale prices and also in the increasingly indifferent but also frustrated ADs. Must be a tough gig now never having any of the watches 90% of customers want to buy. I can see all three brands vastly reducing their AD networks at this rate, just a waste of real estate and running costs.

Even on this forum so much talk is about resale that any brands who are not in play will struggle and continue to do so, those other brands are actually better off really reducing their supply to create some forced exclusivity, altho whether there is enough money at the luxury level to go around is another issue, I think these brand's positions are fixed now and as the market shrinks to I-tech many will be finished.

What is I-tech? Is that meaning that many of the “younger/millennial” generation (I believe) do NOT care about mechanical wristwatches??? They want phones, they want tech, stupid apple watches and the like - not caring about the design, history, and prestige that goes into a luxury Swiss timepiece (thus also not being purchasing customers)???
Now, whether that is actually true, or is simply my own perception of it - I have no facts/data to back it up.
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:38 AM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

It is disappointing that AP and PP don't actually sell watches to all of the people who want to buy them.

During a recent visit to the AP boutique here in NYC they didn't have any of the watches that I wanted to see. I told the sales associate that it was unfortunate, because I came with an open wallet but had to leave empty-handed, and they didn't get my money. Who wins here? I get the exclusivity thing, but at some point it just turns into negativity and a loss of interest.

With AP and PP unavailable, and VC's latest series of Overseas (which I love) being priced so "optimistically", I think the real winner is Jaeger LeCoultre, a brand with a comparable history and level of quality, but who treats their customers with respect and actually sells watches to people.

I still absolutely love Audemars Piguet watches, and am still going to buy a RO, but not through an official distribution channel. They've made that impossible. In the meantime I've placed my order for a JLC Polaris Chrono.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:34 AM   #8
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

I was at the Bal Harbour boutique yesterday as well as the design district boutique. The service and staff was excellent at the Bal Harbour boutique. The sales rep took the time to show me many pieces (42 platinum, 42 rose on bracelet with new dial, 41mm chrono and he even took it upon himself to pull out a 44 tourbillon that retails at $260k. No pressure whatsoever and great inventory. The design district had almost no inventory so was in and out quickly.
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:23 AM   #9
mustangtornado
"TRF" Member

The boutique at Bal Harbour is the best. Amazing staff and usually a solid selection. The AD in design district? I'd never waste my time even walking in again.
mustangtornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:24 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
I was at the Bal Harbour boutique yesterday as well as the design district boutique. The service and staff was excellent at the Bal Harbour boutique. The sales rep took the time to show me many pieces (42 platinum, 42 rose on bracelet with new dial, 41mm chrono and he even took it upon himself to pull out a 44 tourbillon that retails at $260k. No pressure whatsoever and great inventory. The design district had almost no inventory so was in and out quickly.
My experience has always been the same - the NY boutique employees are awesome. I just wish they had more to show me...I'm sure they wish the same thing.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Exclusivity and controlling inventory we all understand but rudeness is uncalled for in any context. Guess the case illustrates that a boutique's attitude does not represent AP's attitude though it should, where staff should be trained so. Seems also that the AP clientele, at least in the forum, are not as "exclusivity" accepting as Pateks where no one complains , but rather they ravish, the need to wait and hunt for say a 5711. Indeed AP may drive away some customers, but for sure other types will replace them..and AP revenues remaim intact.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:30 AM   #12
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
My experience has always been the same - the NY boutique employees are awesome. I just wish they had more to show me...I'm sure they wish the same thing.
Well, most of them ;)
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:27 PM   #13
Lester206
"TRF" Member

Vegas boutique was great. I tried on several watches, and they spent a lot of time with me. I have a very positive impression of AP as a result. I am not an owner but will be.
Lester206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:35 PM   #14
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

With as few as these two manufacturers make, I’m amazed they have as many ADs as they do.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:31 PM   #15
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
When I went to a boutique to inquire (buy) my RO I was met with a snobby salesperson. Even though he should be able to tell I'm a WIS from the way I talked he kept acting like they are doing me a favor for the privilege of buying a watch. I'm in LA so not hard to find out which boutique. Hey I get it, its exclusive, no discounts, etc. but that crappy attitude doesn't fly with me, save that for the tourists that want to blow their $$$. I was offered 0% discount, I even tried "couple hundred dollars" for fun. I strolled over to an AD the next week and bought it for double digit discount. Royal Oaks weren't that hard to find at the time. I was turned off by the whole BS boutique experience and still am most of the time. Same crap in other boutiques different issues. NYC they will watch me like a hawk every step I take like I'm going to rob the place. Vegas was OK, they played the whole I got it in the back but its for a customer act. Why is every AD recently have a watch in the back that is for a customer?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 02:05 AM   #16
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I have been to the Miami Design District boutique a few times. Not much in stock, and I concur with those who have said that the staff are unhelpful.

On my last visit during Watches & Wonders, I asked if they had both a white dial and grey dial 15400 so that I could compare them side by side.
He said we have a white one but you won't find the grey. I told him that I have seen the grey on more than one occasion at the Bal Harbor boutique.
He never asked if I was interested in seeing the white one and I walked out.

The folks at the Bal Harbor boutique on the other hand are very friendly and helpful.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 03:15 AM   #17
Rickn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Sub
I’ve been to the Bal harbour AP boutique twice and was treated great! Shame about the design district, hopefully they get that store up to speed.
Rickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 03:24 AM   #18
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Also with very positive interaction with the folks at the Las Vegas Boutique on several occasions.

Interestingly as well, last week in several different watch AD and Boutique shops in LV, the AP Boutique was the only one with any foot-traffic (other than Tourneau). I was the ONLY customer in Tourbillon (Swatch Group)/ Panerai AD/ RM Boutique/ Hublot Boutique.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 08:27 AM   #19
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I go a couple of times a year to Miami and always stop in to the Bal Harbor boutique to say hi, they are great to deal with and very knowledgeable too
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 10:52 AM   #20
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
It's kind of sad that watch collecting has become a lot like "investment" or rather re-sale value driven. There used to be a time, many years ago, when stocks are aplenty, waitlist unheard of bar a few truly exclusive timepieces, and people purchase watches based on the watch's actual merit as a timepiece. Obviously, things have changed. Now, a whole generation of collectors come to the market where their main priority is resale value so some brands figure out that having better marketing is more important than innovation and making a better watch.

I still think majority of this shortage is supply driven and not because real demand has really increased that much. I doubt it has gone up so much so that the brands can't produce enough to fulfill them. Rather, by insisting on limited supply, brands can project an artificial image of exclusivity, and in-demand popular pieces are then awarded to customers who are the highest bidder based on buying power while fueling the speculative purchase of others who are into the watches potential investment value rather than because they really like them as a watch. This could also be a side effect of an up-market and good economic times. But there is a limit to speculative buying so perhaps when times are bad, things will start to reverse itself.

Just my 2 cents. Not sure if I am making sense, I guess that's because I haven't got my morning coffee.

As to the OP, sorry for your treatment, but when the brands sell by themselves, the ADs and/or boutiques don't need to invest much to train staff on proper customer service. Still, it is often the person more than the brand and if you are not getting good service, just walk away.
Old 27 February 2018, 02:03 PM   #21
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Benlee- interesting points. I wonder if people flip more now than they used to, making value retention more important and I wonder whether the proliferation of forums and social media has led to that flipping.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:31 AM   #22
asubabove
"TRF" Member

Funny enough, I walked into the same Design District AD the other day as well. The salesman barely even looked away from the book he was reading/something he was tinkering with, nevermind getting up from his seat.
asubabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:45 AM   #23
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:

+1
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 02:03 AM   #24
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
I went into a couple of local retailers in London (Wempe and Selfridges) to try and have a look at an ROC and neither of them had any stainless steel Royal Oaks, only PM :(
sdh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
It's kind of sad that watch collecting has become a lot like "investment" or rather re-sale value driven. There used to be a time, many years ago, when stocks are aplenty, waitlist unheard of bar a few truly exclusive timepieces, and people purchase watches based on the watch's actual merit as a timepiece. Obviously, things have changed. Now, a whole generation of collectors come to the market where their main priority is resale value so some brands figure out that having better marketing is more important than innovation and making a better watch.

I still think majority of this shortage is supply driven and not because real demand has really increased that much. I doubt it has gone up so much so that the brands can't produce enough to fulfill them. Rather, by insisting on limited supply, brands can project an artificial image of exclusivity, and in-demand popular pieces are then awarded to customers who are the highest bidder based on buying power while fueling the speculative purchase of others who are into the watches potential investment value rather than because they really like them as a watch. This could also be a side effect of an up-market and good economic times. But there is a limit to speculative buying so perhaps when times are bad, things will start to reverse itself.

Just my 2 cents. Not sure if I am making sense, I guess that's because I haven't got my morning coffee.

As to the OP, sorry for your treatment, but when the brands sell by themselves, the ADs and/or boutiques don't need to invest much to train staff on proper customer service. Still, it is often the person more than the brand and if you are not getting good service, just walk away.
I'd say it was short supply started but then as prices rise demand naturally grows as new entrants are drawn to the market, and with SM this has been exacerbated like never before and far in excess of during previous global booms.
Old 2 March 2018, 03:59 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
What is I-tech? Is that meaning that many of the “younger/millennial” generation (I believe) do NOT care about mechanical wristwatches??? They want phones, they want tech, stupid apple watches and the like - not caring about the design, history, and prestige that goes into a luxury Swiss timepiece (thus also not being purchasing customers)???
Now, whether that is actually true, or is simply my own perception of it - I have no facts/data to back it up.
Yes, basically this, altho the current boom may be masking its real effect which will become very noticeable a few years down the line. Already we see AP and PP have probably too many expensive outlets for their rate of sales and footfall now, so imagine how tough it will be for brands like Zenith and UN in future.
Old 2 March 2018, 01:48 PM   #27
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, basically this, altho the current boom may be masking its real effect which will become very noticeable a few years down the line. Already we see AP and PP have probably too many expensive outlets for their rate of sales and footfall now, so imagine how tough it will be for brands like Zenith and UN in future.

Very true. I believe you’re right.
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote