The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2018, 09:08 AM   #1
scottywein
"TRF" Member

New AP ROO Owner - Some Questions

Bought my first AP from SohAIS AIS Watches and am excited to get it tomorrow - Aamir has been great to work with! It's the ROO 25940SK.OO.D002CA.03 Black Dial. Quick questions for everyone:

What watch winder do you recommend for the watch and the appropriate settings?

Would you only get the watch serviced at the AP Boutique (I'm in NYC so lots of options)?

What's the best way to clean the rubber band and also rubber bezel? The band is relatively cheap ($300) but not sure if AP replaces the bezel as well when serviced.

Last question, promise - to ensure the watch is water proof and keeping accurate time do you recommend taking it to AP or a place such as Tourneau. AP said they'd need to send it out and it could take a few weeks.

Best,

Scott
scottywein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5980/1R-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywein View Post
Bought my first AP from SohAIS AIS Watches and am excited to get it tomorrow - Aamir has been great to work with! It's the ROO 25940SK.OO.D002CA.03 Black Dial. Quick questions for everyone:

What watch winder do you recommend for the watch and the appropriate settings?

Would you only get the watch serviced at the AP Boutique (I'm in NYC so lots of options)?

What's the best way to clean the rubber band and also rubber bezel? The band is relatively cheap ($300) but not sure if AP replaces the bezel as well when serviced.

Last question, promise - to ensure the watch is water proof and keeping accurate time do you recommend taking it to AP or a place such as Tourneau. AP said they'd need to send it out and it could take a few weeks.

Best,

Scott

Congrats on acquiring such an iconic watch.

I wouldn't buy a winder, if I were in your shoes. Just manually wind it when it runs out of PR, and save your money.

On my black AP rubber straps, I just use dish washing soap, hot water and a soft bristled toothbrush. For my red rubberstrap, I have been successful in removing stubborn stains with a 3/4 water + 1/4 acetone (clear nail polish remover) solution. So far, the acetone has not seemed to harm the rubber.

I highly recommend sending the watch only to an authorized APSC for service. With rubber bezels, the APSC requires you to send in the watch where they would remove (and keep) your original bezel, and replace it with a new rubber bezel. Price on a new rubber bezel is approx $2,250 usd (based on a quote I recently received from the APSC in Canada).

Enjoy your ROO Rubberclad!
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Islatate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:32 AM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Only have it serviced and/or tested by APSC. I have a rubberclad and would not recommend cleaning it with anything other than a soft cloth, I never have and it's in very good condition. If you use treatment cleaners on the bezel especially, it will start to get a shine to it that looks bad in my opinion. When you send it in to APSC to get it serviced, you will have the option of replacing the bezel at that time. Not too expensive compared to the steel alternative which has much more finishing to it. Do not use a watch winder, plenty of evidence out there that they do more harm than good. Many of the less expensive ones can magnetize the watch since they are poorly insulated. Just wind it when you want to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 06:47 PM   #4
yoast
"TRF" Member

The rubber bezel is quite expensive to replace, actually as it is a steel bezel, coated with rubber.
Old 22 February 2018, 10:19 PM   #5
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
The rubber bezel is quite expensive to replace, actually as it is a steel bezel, coated with rubber.

Did not know that. Luckily haven't had to have mine replaced yet.

OP, I still wouldn't use any cleaners on it. I also got tired of the rubber strap and put on a black/white hornback. Some don't like it since it doesn't match the rubber bezel but I think it looks nice. Can always switch it back as well!

Old 23 February 2018, 05:28 AM   #6
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
Congrats on acquiring such an iconic watch.

I wouldn't buy a winder, if I were in your shoes. Just manually wind it when it runs out of PR, and save your money.

On my black AP rubber straps, I just use dish washing soap, hot water and a soft bristled toothbrush. For my red rubberstrap, I have been successful in removing stubborn stains with a 3/4 water + 1/4 acetone (clear nail polish remover) solution. So far, the acetone has not seemed to harm the rubber.

I highly recommend sending the watch only to an authorized APSC for service. With rubber bezels, the APSC requires you to send in the watch where they would remove (and keep) your original bezel, and replace it with a new rubber bezel. Price on a new rubber bezel is approx $2,250 usd (based on a quote I recently received from the APSC in Canada).

Enjoy your ROO Rubberclad!
Hi great information. Do you know if they evaluate the watch without sending it in? I want to make sure it's water resistant and keeping accurate time. If you do get it serviced do they automatically give you a new bezel?

What's a full service cost?
Old 23 February 2018, 05:29 AM   #7
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npalacio View Post
Only have it serviced and/or tested by APSC. I have a rubberclad and would not recommend cleaning it with anything other than a soft cloth, I never have and it's in very good condition. If you use treatment cleaners on the bezel especially, it will start to get a shine to it that looks bad in my opinion. When you send it in to APSC to get it serviced, you will have the option of replacing the bezel at that time. Not too expensive compared to the steel alternative which has much more finishing to it. Do not use a watch winder, plenty of evidence out there that they do more harm than good. Many of the less expensive ones can magnetize the watch since they are poorly insulated. Just wind it when you want to wear.

If I'm not wearing the watch daily do you recommend to store the watch in it's case box? I sometimes go a few days without wearing a watch for work purposes and don't want the watch to lose the correct time. It gets annoying to constantly reset the time hah.
Old 23 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi great information. Do you know if they evaluate the watch without sending it in? I want to make sure it's water resistant and keeping accurate time. If you do get it serviced do they automatically give you a new bezel?

To do a water test, you have to send it in. No, service does not automatically get you a new bezel, they will contact you with options and if yours is damaged in any way (cosmetically even), they will offer the replacement.

Full service cost depends on the extent of the service. Here are starting prices but does not include if parts need to be replaced.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...rvices-prices/

Old 23 February 2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry I am not exactly sure what you mean by "evaluating the watch without sending it in"?

If you need the APSC to test your Rubberclad's performance/accuracy and to test for water proofness, the watch would need to be sent to the APSC.

The bezel replacement is not mandatory. It is optional to the client whether he/she wishes to pay for a new bezel. So you can let the APSC know in advance if you wish to have the bezel replaced at the same time that they do the above-mentioned tests.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Old 23 February 2018, 07:27 AM   #10
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
Sorry I am not exactly sure what you mean by "evaluating the watch without sending it in"?

If you need the APSC to test your Rubberclad's performance/accuracy and to test for water proofness, the watch would need to be sent to the APSC.

The bezel replacement is not mandatory. It is optional to the client whether he/she wishes to pay for a new bezel. So you can let the APSC know in advance if you wish to have the bezel replaced at the same time that they do the above-mentioned tests.

Ken

What I meant was that can they look at the watch in the boutique? Cartier for instance has the capability to do so.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I meant was that can they look at the watch in the boutique? Cartier for instance has the capability to do so.
Oh I understand now. I really doubt any authorized dealer can tell you on the spot if the watch does or does not need to be shipped to APSC for service.

AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520