The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2021, 06:43 PM   #61
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Can't or won't?

Both.

They won’t, because it is a premium brand and they can’t afford to flood the market and cheapen the brand. And why should they, it is their business for them to do with what they want. There are a lot of entitled folk on here that think it’s all about them. And worth bearing in mind here, it’s easier to get a Rolex sports reference from an AD than a Patek Nautilus or a Blue Dial Royal Oak.

They also can’t! To produce more watches they would almost certainly need to expand their facilities, employ and train more staff, and increase their distribution/sales channels. I’d suddenly the watch market hits a bump and sales slow down, with all the cash invested in the growth and the ongoing cost of that growth, Rolex would find themselves in a pickle.

I understand the frustration of people that can’t get the watch they want, but this is the premium goods market and it’s that way it works, and rightly so in my view.

The thing i find the strangest, is that many folk who moan about supply, want a Sub. Sure, the Sub is a nice watch and has somewhat of an iconic status (albeit in my view that status is over-egged given how much it has changed since it earned that status). But there are so many alternatives from other watch makers that are very similar, so there is a lot of choice for people that want a Sub. But what most really want if they’re honest, is a Rolex. Nothing wrong with that by the way, i grew up thinking Rolex was the ultimate and impossible for people like me. It was a dream, and I’m not embarrassed to admit it. That prestige is added to somewhat by the fact that you can’t just walk in and get one now, so it’s a little ironic that the prestige that people crave, is also part of the problem.

I put a lot of effort into getting a Patek Nautilus and it felt good to have to do that. It felt good that i couldn’t just get what i want. I now really want a Patek 5740 and have been told by my AD that i have no chance. But it turns out that maybe i don’t want it as much as i thought, as I’m not inclined to put the same level of effort in and have accepted that I’m not getting one.

OP, if you really want a Sub at retail from an AD then it is possible and you don’t have to buy a load of jewellery you don’t want. But you do have to put a load of effort in, the best things in life don’t come easy. My advice though, go and look at a Tudor Black Bay 58, a truly stunning watch and the perfect size for slightly smaller wrists. Unless it’s the Rolex brand you want of course, and as i say, nothing wrong if that is the case, the only wrong thing, is denying it if it’s true (which so many people do).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:57 PM   #62
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Token74;11220860]Both.

I understand the frustration of people that can’t get the watch they want, but this is the premium goods market and it’s that way it works, and rightly so in my view.

Thing is,... there's a lot of satisfaction in reading about Rolex watches in early Rolex brochures and books on the subject, and about new movements with complications being presently introduced.

But why the obsession of some of wanting every new model that comes out?

Of placing orders around all the AD's and then when the watches are finally purchased putting them a safe?

Like Fagin in the final scene in the film Oliver, 'I'm reviewing the situation', I'm just going to carry enjoying reading about Rolex watch movements, until there is a supply of steel in the ADs where I can go and look over and try on a Rolex before I contemplate buying. Just as it used to be!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 09:23 PM   #63
greeneyedguy
Banned

The benefit of them being hard to get is that you have a long time to think about your purchase making sure you are really in love with the piece.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:50 PM   #64
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Why do I feel disappointed

It isn't worth waiting for honestly. It's just a watch.

Either spend a lot of time and money in this environment to get a $2-3K savings at AD or just buy the watch for $12-13k and move on with life and enjoy it. You'll get most of your money back if you decide you don't like it.

I've owned so many Rolex watches that I thought I wanted based on internet research. It means nothing to want it in photos unless you love it when it's on your wrist. You won't know if you don't try it.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:16 AM   #65
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Maybe it’s time for you to find another brand
I noted before, my last Rolex was purchased at msrp about 11-12 years ago.
Reading now about the new Sky Dweller, (326934), I would like one, but I've got something better to do than go trawling around ADs! (dressed accordingly)
We have in UK a Rolex London office. Would it be so difficult for Rolex to set up a computer page and register our watch model requirements, so that we get the watch we wish for in fair rotation?
Old 25 January 2021, 12:17 AM   #66
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
I have read many so posts about other members collecting watches, and I feel there are steel sports watches out there, but not available to me from an AD at msrp, simply because I don't splash out loads of money on jewelry that I don't want.
I went past a pawnbrokers today, and saw a pre-owned steel Submariner in the window, sitting in a shallow green box. Thought to myself, doesn't look like the official deeper box green box my last rolex came in (11 years ago), complete with an outer protective sleeve? Don't think I shall bother to go in and look, and once I thought that, I thought why am I bothered to even want another rolex?
I think it's about time we should be able to put our names on a central waiting list at Rolex head office, where we would then be notified where to collect our desired watch, when it came in, available at our local AD.
you could do what my wife did and say why worry about a few grand?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:21 AM   #67
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you could do what my wife did and say why worry about a few grand?
This is England not FL mate!
Old 25 January 2021, 12:23 AM   #68
holdingon
"TRF" Member

its going to get harder until there is a true competitor. Omega speedy comes to mind but honesty what else in the 6-10k USD range for a SS. They should just raise the price by 30%-50% on the popular sports watches and be done with it. A pepsi GMT is cheaper than a DJ 41 fluted with jubilee on the Rolex website. Crazy right? Once you get past $15k i think there is more competition.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:25 AM   #69
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
This is England not FL mate!
Where I live you cannot even get even a Cellini moon phase at an AD right now.

It is highly competitive and I am no big spender.

If I wanted a new submariner I would be paying 12k-19k depending on the model.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:25 AM   #70
Time4aRolex
"TRF" Member

Frankly I don’t know what all the continued lamenting on the topic is about. Sure you can’t go to an AD and plop down MSRP and walk out with your watch. However, you can easily get a watch.

My Last purchase was $500 over MSRP and 4 years old.

Came to me looking perfect. Took a couple of phone calls and I paid with a CC. They even bought links and sized it for me.

In less than a month one can make any watch happen.

Probably time to move on from the AD fact that stainless Sport watches are hard to find and sell gray above MSRP. It will not change until the Market corrects and even then Rolex will constrain supply to subvert that correction.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
Time4aRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:11 AM   #71
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Totally outside this craze. Very happy in the 5-digit world. Plenty of great watches there and you cannot lose.
This insanity is impacting those too. It's stupid. Have you seen what people are trying to sell 5 digit subs, GMTs, and Explorers for? It's absurd. They are trying to get current MSRP prices or even brand new grey prices for 15 and 20 year old beaters. I'm looking for a 5 digit Explorer II and those are 8k now. No way.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:42 AM   #72
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
This insanity is impacting those too. It's stupid. Have you seen what people are trying to sell 5 digit subs, GMTs, and Explorers for? It's absurd. They are trying to get current MSRP prices or even brand new grey prices for 15 and 20 year old beaters. I'm looking for a 5 digit Explorer II and those are 8k now. No way.

Agree. Currenty, 5 digits are not the deal they used to be!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:46 AM   #73
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Go grey. Problem solved.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:25 AM   #74
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

It's very interesting how there is the misconception that if you don't want to pay above MRSP you cannot afford the watch.
It's actually so simple to understand, to decide to pay a premium you need to accept the fact that you NEED that piece in addition to the fact that you need it NOW.
I find that absurd. But of course this is a personal decision.

When I go look at the shops in the diamond district, and I see all those Subs and GMTs in display in little plastic bags under terrible lights, they look so cheap and it's a bit sad.
It makes me feel like I would never pay any premium for those. By the way they look there I would hardly pay MRSP!

If a piece is still in production, I want that luxury watch with my box, my card, my warranty, my boutique experience... etc.
If it's not coming with the full package they can keep the watch, with their premium.
Gray and resellers would go completely out of business if it was for me.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 04:35 AM   #75
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
If a piece is still in production, I want that luxury watch with my box, my card, my warranty, my boutique experience... etc.
If it's not coming with the full package they can keep the watch, with their premium.
Spot on,
Old 25 January 2021, 07:21 AM   #76
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
It's very interesting how there is the misconception that if you don't want to pay above MRSP you cannot afford the watch.
It's actually so simple to understand, to decide to pay a premium you need to accept the fact that you NEED that piece in addition to the fact that you need it NOW.

When I go look at the shops in the diamond district, and I see all those Subs and GMTs in display in little plastic bags under terrible lights, they look so cheap and it's a bit sad.
It makes me feel like I would never pay any premium for those. By the way they look there I would hardly pay MRSP!

Agreed
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:47 AM   #77
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

My take is you may find out you didn't need it at all and get most of your money back and move on to the right thing. Waiting years for that would be a real shame.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:00 AM   #78
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringhio View Post
it's very interesting how there is the misconception that if you don't want to pay above mrsp you cannot afford the watch.
It's actually so simple to understand, to decide to pay a premium you need to accept the fact that you need that piece in addition to the fact that you need it now.

When i go look at the shops in the diamond district, and i see all those subs and gmts in display in little plastic bags under terrible lights, they look so cheap and it's a bit sad.
It makes me feel like i would never pay any premium for those. By the way they look there i would hardly pay mrsp!

If a piece is still in production, i want that luxury watch with my box, my card, my warranty, my boutique experience... Etc.
+1
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:44 AM   #79
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

I got me Daytona from an AD at retail. I had not relationship other than the manager was a friend of my HOT sister. I guess I will take it anyway I can get it. He also new I was not a flipper. I send him a wrist shot via text each year on the watche's birthday. AD's should NOT flip to the aftermarket. There are enough genuine customers to sell their inventories.
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:47 AM   #80
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTINC1 View Post
I got me Daytona from an AD at retail. I had not relationship other than the manager was a friend of my HOT sister. I guess I will take it anyway I can get it. He also new I was not a flipper. I send him a wrist shot via text each year on the watche's birthday. AD's should NOT flip to the aftermarket. There are enough genuine customers to sell their inventories.
Am I the only one disturbed that he finds his sister HOT...all caps??
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:56 AM   #81
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
so that we get the watch we wish for in fair rotation?
Why?

The distribution of luxury goods is predicated on unfairness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:17 PM   #82
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

You sound like an Omega man.
Johnny Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:24 PM   #83
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Crystal View Post
You sound like an Omega man.

Yep. Walk out of AD with a black SMP300 and come back in 3-5 years when things revert to the mean.
Old 25 January 2021, 02:59 PM   #84
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
Am I the only one disturbed that he finds his sister HOT...all caps??
Ha ha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:17 PM   #85
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
You have two options:
1) convince an AD that you are worth selling a desirable piece to
2) go gray

There’s not much more to be said.
Pretty much.

I have been at peace with this issue since 2017 when I tried to get a 116500LN Daytona at the ADs. I was fairly new to the Rolex world and had no clue that some of these watches could be that difficult to acquire.

Went through a denial phase for quite some time before finally going grey, and have since accepted that an average Joe like me will never be able to acquire these hot SS models at MSRP.

As many others have pointed out already, Rolex is doing everything right and there is absolutely no need for them to change their business models or production volume at all.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:37 PM   #86
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
Pretty much.

I have been at peace with this issue since 2017 when I tried to get a 116500LN Daytona at the ADs. I was fairly new to the Rolex world and had no clue that some of these watches could be that difficult to acquire.

Went through a denial phase for quite some time before finally going grey, and have since accepted that an average Joe like me will never be able to acquire these hot SS models at MSRP.

As many others have pointed out already, Rolex is doing everything right and there is absolutely no need for them to change their business models or production volume at all.
Apart from the air terminal, I remember all the ADs were in duty free Singapore, North Bridge Road, a bit of a long trip to keep asking if your watch had come in?
Old 25 January 2021, 11:48 PM   #87
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apart from the air terminal, I remember all the ADs were in duty free Singapore, North Bridge Road, a bit of a long trip to keep asking if your watch had come in?
I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. From what I heard, the competition in Singapore is probably the most fierce out of the entire South East Asia.

In Kuala Lumpur, there are about 6 ADs, I've visited them all already.

In the same vicinity, there are at least 15 grey dealers with bricks & mortar shops, I visited them all as well. Having chatted with some of these grey dealers, I am pretty sure some if not most of them have some sort of relationships with the ADs. They also have connections with wholesale buyers in HK and other Southeast Asian countries.

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Malaysia I simply do not stand a chance. I've since gone grey and got what I wanted and am happy with what I have now.

I am still on wait list currently at multiple ADs though, if the day shall ever come, I'll be happy to pick one up at MSRP and sell the ones I bought from grey.
Old 26 January 2021, 12:00 AM   #88
Raffles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
My personal opinion is that the AD's will do themselves harm in the long run by trying to exploit wannabe Rolex buyers into bundling and creating a relationship. They might not be the high rollers, but the sort of person who will spend a few thousand pounds in their stores every year. These customers might stop using them and buy the non Rolex brands from other stores, thus leaving the AD's high and dry. They will only have Rolex stock to fall back on.
Mind you, after reading about the watches of switzerland's bumper turnover last year, I am probably miles off course.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 12:35 AM   #89
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. From what I heard, the competition in Singapore is probably the most fierce out of the entire South East Asia.

In Kuala Lumpur, there are about 6 ADs, I've visited them all already.

In the same vicinity, there are at least 15 grey dealers with bricks & mortar shops, I visited them all as well. Having chatted with some of these grey dealers, I am pretty sure some if not most of them have some sort of relationships with the ADs. They also have connections with wholesale buyers in HK and other Southeast Asian countries.

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Malaysia I simply do not stand a chance. I've since gone grey and got what I wanted and am happy with what I have now.
I am still on wait list currently at multiple ADs though, if the day shall ever come, I'll be happy to pick one up at MSRP and sell the ones I bought from grey.
Well with all that humidity in KL, you certainly need an 'oyster' case, so keep your crown well screwed down.