The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 10:10 AM   #61
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I agree, but for me it goes deeper than that. Do this people also say why buy a diamond instead of a CZ, why not just buy fake everything? If they can get their head around paying for a Rolex, why can’t they get their head around paying for gold? Both are as good as cash.
Apart from the fact that the best sporty Rolex have always been those in stainless steel, WG Rolex vs. a SS Rolex is not like a diamond vs. a cubic zirconias; we are not comparing fake with real.
By the way, the quantity of 18 kt gold in a PM Rolex is approx 100 gr, which means approx 75 gr of pure gold (24 kt); assuming a price per gramme of £50.00, in gold material value we are talking about £3,750.00, while a WG Daytona costs £21,050.00 more that a SS one.   
To convince people to buy WG watches, Rolex creates a differentiation in the dials, so everyone knows that a blue dial Daytona or a meteorite dial Pepsi are in WG, hence the person that wears these watches has £30 K + on his wrist.

It remain the problem that at the current market price, if someone wants a SS Daytona or GMT Pepsi tomorrow must pay a premium of 100% of their MSRPs.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:17 AM   #62
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I've always liked stainless, but I have to admit that if money wasn't an object the white gold Sub with blue bezel would be mine in a heart beat. Yellow gold and two tone reminds me of the eighties...
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:21 AM   #63
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
Apart from the fact that the best sporty Rolex have always been those in stainless steel, WG Rolex vs. a SS Rolex is not like a diamond vs. a cubic zirconias; we are not comparing fake with real.
By the way, the quantity of 18 kt gold in a PM Rolex is approx 100 gr, which means approx 75 gr of pure gold (24 kt); assuming a price per gramme of £50.00, in gold material value we are talking about £3,750.00, while a WG Daytona costs £21,050.00 more that a SS one.   
To convince people to buy WG watches, Rolex creates a differentiation in the dials, so everyone knows that a blue dial Daytona or a meteorite dial Pepsi are in WG, hence the person that wears these watches has £30 K + on his wrist.
I don’t think the dial differences are a thing that everybody knows, I would guess very very few people would know this, WG looks different. It’s not hard to tell.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:23 AM   #64
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Love the weight. I don't think I'd go all WG with no SS, but it's a nice feeling and change of pace when putting it on. It's really a sensory experience, not really easy to financially justify.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:25 AM   #65
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
here is a pic of a couple that have gone onto new homes. I had natural light (studio bulbs) and a gray card as background. Had hoped to allow people to balance their colors.... but I don’t think it was helpful.

Steel has a shinier look and a little more blue. WG has a yellow tint (barely) and that variation between a cold, blue steel and a perceived warmer hue in WG could explain it. It’s all really subjective and personal. We see colors differently. We have emotions tied into our beliefs. We see what we want to see - in most everything in life. That’s my 2 cents.

126710BLRO Mk2 on a Rolex 97200 bracelet on left. I liked the oyster bracelet and glidelock on mine.

116719BLRO on right.

I bet that very few people would pay £30,650.00 for the watch on the right, if they could get the one on the left at £7,750.00 plus £1 K for the oyster bracelet.

But I might consider to pay £32,000.00 for the WG Meteorite
Old 25 January 2021, 10:38 AM   #66
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I don’t think the dial differences are a thing that everybody knows, I would guess very very few people would know this, WG looks different. It’s not hard to tell.
Sorry but I have to disagree.
Looking at the photos of the 2 Pepsi it's almost impossible to recognise the one in WG at 2 meter distance on the wrist of someone.
On the contrary, because the current WG Pepsi comes with Meteorite dial or with blue dial, and those dials are not available for the SS Pepsi, the majority of the people that love Rolex can recognise immediately the WG Pepsi.  
Old 25 January 2021, 10:39 AM   #67
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
I bet that very few people would pay £30,650.00 for the watch on the right, if they could get the one on the left at £7,750.00 plus £1 K for the oyster bracelet.

But I might consider to pay £32,000.00 for the WG Meteorite

I’m certain you are right. That’s already the case. Very few are willing to buy WG. Production of WG Rolex is far less than SS.

The meteorite is awesome. And makes the point several above mentioned, the perceived exclusivity of dial variations is what sells a lot of the WG references.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:02 AM   #68
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F33A View Post
You buy white gold because you can't quite swing platinum.
If I had the opportunity to go PM, I would prefer WG over Pt, as I don’t like the smooth bezel on the DD and I prefer the WG dial color choices. To each his or her own.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:03 AM   #69
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
here is a pic of a couple that have gone onto new homes. I had natural light (studio bulbs) and a gray card as background. Had hoped to allow people to balance their colors.... but I don’t think it was helpful.

Steel has a shinier look and a little more blue. WG has a yellow tint (barely) and that variation between a cold, blue steel and a perceived warmer hue in WG could explain it. It’s all really subjective and personal. We see colors differently. We have emotions tied into our beliefs. We see what we want to see - in most everything in life. That’s my 2 cents.

126710BLRO Mk2 on a Rolex 97200 bracelet on left. I liked the oyster bracelet and glidelock on mine.

116719BLRO on right.

Nice side by side shot Grant! The warm color of WG wins even with its MK1 bezel insert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:14 AM   #70
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
100% agree..... until you wear a platinum Daytona and then WG feels cheap and light
True - and Platinum is to WG as WG is to Stainless.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:17 PM   #71
Ocdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD2 218239
+1
Cartier Roadster 2510
IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Edition IW376805
Ocdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:20 PM   #72
Ocdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD2 218239
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecoffee View Post
why does anyone prefer a high end option over a lesser one? It’s as often more emotional than it is practical. To address your points:

1) yes, the extra heft is nice and reminds you what’s on your wrist.
2) to the trained eye you can tell the difference. This is something i actually like...not flashy like yellow/rose gold but those who know, know.
3) technically yes but many folks feel the composition of rolex gold is fairly comparable to steel. Durability isn’t exactly why folks choose steel over gold... Just like it’s more expensive to repair a ferrari than a fiat but that’s not what discourages ferrari owners.
4) same point as above.

As i said, some people just don’t want the flash of yellow/rose gold. To me, white gold is something you buy for yourself and not for others. Hence why i like it.
+1
Cartier Roadster 2510
IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Edition IW376805
Ocdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:22 PM   #73
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
100% agree..... until you wear a platinum Daytona and then WG feels cheap and light

Gold is considerably more valuable than platinum.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:28 PM   #74
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

It would appear the watch industry didn’t get that memo.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:28 PM   #75
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I disagree. Price is close. Additionally, you need more platinum to build the same watch, as platinum is a lot denser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:30 PM   #76
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It would appear the watch industry didn’t get that memo.

Indeed. Nevertheless it is made out of a cheaper metal so if it feels more expensive it's just heavier and so is lead and tungsten. I'm just BSing the snobbery. Sorry
Old 25 January 2021, 12:35 PM   #77
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed. Nevertheless it is made out of a cheaper metal so if it feels more expensive it's just heavier and so is lead and tungsten. I'm just BSing the snobbery. Sorry

My post was made in jest. For what it’s worth, I prefer the hue of white gold over platinum and find the platona to be uncomfortably heavy.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:40 PM   #78
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Why do you go for white gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
I disagree. Price is close. Additionally, you need more platinum to build the same watch, as platinum is a lot denser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not what I said and no it isn't that much denser.

Pt is 59% as valuable as gold and the density is < 11% higher.

In the form of a Rolex watch, though, presented in 75% gold vs 95% platinum, yes there is more platinum in the platinum watch than there is gold in the gold watch. 80% more Plat than gold * 0.59 $ value = 8% cost premium due to PM alone.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:41 PM   #79
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My post was made in jest. For what it’s worth, I prefer the hue of white gold over platinum and find the platona to be uncomfortably heavy.

Of course. The jewelry industry hasn't received the memo either
Old 25 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #80
jefe1999
"TRF" Member

White gold is a fair amount harder than yellow, so it doesn't scratch quite as readily. I gave up wearing yg bracelets because I got really paranoid about scuffing, scratching or otherwise marring them.
jefe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:22 PM   #81
Ihatecheese
Banned

If you have the disposable income then why not adorn your favourite watch with the same metals as your jewellery. Trying to rationalise outside of 'because I can' is sometimes difficult for those who can't. Enjoy life (and donate)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:14 PM   #82
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
I purchased my WG daytona as it was a grail watch for me, it doesnt look hugely difference to my SS versions, but the racing dial and bezel are tells to the casual look.

Other than that, the case shape is slightly different to the PL and SS and the lugs underneath are flaired- but who else see's that! Biggest difference is the weight mine is 195g v circa 147g for my 500LN SS and you can feel that, plus the slight champagne colour which is warmer........

All of this is visible at 5 feet, but any further nobody else knows its a WG daytona....... but I don't care - its MY grail!
Old 25 January 2021, 09:49 PM   #83
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I have both white gold and SS and I totally disagree with those who say that WG doesn't scratch and ding easier. It is like butter compared to Rolex SS. I love the look and feel of WG but if you clang the watch against a door knob or something the damage will be much likely to be more significant than if you have an SS watch so I wear it a bit more carefully. The look, feel, and luster of WG is just different than SS and I like that but from a practical standpoint it makes little sense. SS is superior as a material for a case and band in every way except the ones that matter in the minds of those who own them.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:52 PM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

So why do people go for white gold? Doesn’t seem like there’s any benefit compared to stainless?
Because I do not like yellow gold
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:10 PM   #85
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
I have both white gold and SS and I totally disagree with those who say that WG doesn't scratch and ding easier. It is like butter compared to Rolex SS. I love the look and feel of WG but if you clang the watch against a door knob or something the damage will be much likely to be more significant than if you have an SS watch so I wear it a bit more carefully. The look, feel, and luster of WG is just different than SS and I like that but from a practical standpoint it makes little sense. SS is superior as a material for a case and band in every way except the ones that matter in the minds of those who own them.
Have you clanged your WG? What is the observable difference from your pov?

I ask because there always seems to be two strong opinions one way or the other on Rolex WG as evidenced in the comments earlier. Thanks
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:19 PM   #86
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtheot View Post
Have you clanged your WG? What is the observable difference from your pov?

I ask because there always seems to be two strong opinions one way or the other on Rolex WG as evidenced in the comments earlier. Thanks
It’s very soft. I accidentally put a ding in my fluted bezel on my old DJ just with my bare fingernail, and I smoothed out a couple flutes with an accidental brush of my jeans. You’ll get varying opinions as some have different perceptions of detail, but I can tell you for certain that you’ll pick up much more superficial scratches, etc with a PM watch. Even bare hands can do it if you have coarse skin. It’s all the 18k colored metals, you can ask the root beer folks about their two tone bracelets too.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:54 PM   #87
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
It’s very soft. I accidentally put a ding in my fluted bezel on my old DJ just with my bare fingernail, and I smoothed out a couple flutes with an accidental brush of my jeans. You’ll get varying opinions as some have different perceptions of detail, but I can tell you for certain that you’ll pick up much more superficial scratches, etc with a PM watch. Even bare hands can do it if you have coarse skin. It’s all the 18k colored metals, you can ask the root beer folks about their two tone bracelets too.
^^^^This^^^^

Anyone that has owned BOTH can attest to the above.

But it doesn't stop me from loving the WG Daytona!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:49 AM   #88
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I'm loving my WG DD, and I'm also loving my YG Sub, as well as my SS BLRO. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 26 January 2021, 04:48 AM   #89
Rolex_Fan_
"TRF" Member

For me, I like the weight and it is not as flashy as the other golds. In my opinion of course.
Rolex_Fan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:00 AM   #90
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
You must have nails from steel
My experience is that it doesn’t make any difference. A PCL bracelet scratches anyway, steel or gold alike