The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 January 2021, 10:46 PM   #31
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
If you were buying a 40kusd that you actually want to wear and see this as an opportunity to lower the cost of it by flipping this Kermit, I’d totally get it. But it sounds like you’re referring to your non-Kermit purchase(s) as undesirable models that you don’t even want. So basically all the watches you’re buying, you don’t want? Not sure what advice you’re looking for. Just embrace your flipper-ness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The watch purchased was something a family member wanted and have been searching for over a long period of time. It's a discontinued Pearlmaster meant to be worn and not resold.

"Kermit" was just opportunity to lower the costs, as getting a sports-model requires purchasing another Rolex watch here.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:53 PM   #32
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
So you bought an unpopular $40K watch that you WANTED, because you did this the AD just said "hey you just bought an unpopular watch so guess what we have a hard as hell to get green sub in the back that you don't even like that we will sell to you"

Something sounds really weird about this story.

Either way buy it, wear it or don't wear it who cares. Sell it now why it is hot as I seriously doubt it is going to be a limited run and the longer it goes on and the more they make the lower the price.
It's really not weird. The USD40K watch was purchased for a family member who wants it because she likes it. It is the ADs here defining what is "un-popular" and what is not. As they deal in bundles here, I just took advantage of the situation to try and save the family member some extra money.

I was actually kind of surprised how fast they could make a "hot-model" appear, if you follow their sales "rules".

Think you are right that it would be a good idea not to hold it too long.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #33
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Once you put that sub on your wrist, you won’t want to sell it!

I am actually after the new GMT Rootbeer. But an over USD 40K purchase, was not enough to get that and since I have to buy two watches to get one at an AD here, I think I will never buy it in Thailand.

Maybe fly to Hong Kong when the world opens up again.
Old 24 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #34
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
I am actually after the new GMT Rootbeer. But an over USD 40K purchase, was not enough to get that and since I have to buy two watches to get one at an AD here, I think I will never buy it in Thailand.

Maybe fly to Hong Kong when the world opens up again.

I would have thought that the Kermit is a harder to get piece than the rootbeer. At least here in Canada it is

Old 24 January 2021, 11:19 PM   #35
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Just jumped the waiting-list at our local AD, who can magically get the new "Kermit" for me in just 2 weeks. Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

Now considering if I should sell it now or just keep it unworn and sell later in a few years. Any suggestions?
Buy it and resell it. The profit will ease the burden of that 40k model you just purchased.

That’s what everyone else does. How are so many on the grey market anyway? Join the club...
Old 24 January 2021, 11:22 PM   #36
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would have thought that the Kermit is a harder to get piece than the rootbeer. At least here in Canada it is

Here they seem to define it based on purchase-amount of the second Rolex, you are forced to buy.

I also thought that would be easier to get, but seems not. I have no idea how they calculate it or why the Rootbeer was not an option.
Old 24 January 2021, 11:25 PM   #37
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Buy it and resell it. The profit will ease the burden of that 40k model you just purchased.

That’s what everyone else does. How are so many on the grey market anyway? Join the club...

Old 24 January 2021, 11:33 PM   #38
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Congrats on getting a much in demand model. Smart buying and done right.

I too appreciate you sharing this experience here. Good to know what’s the market like in BKK first hand from those with recent experience, than to rely on hearsay.

I’d say flip immediately. Your AD clearly couldn’t care less what Rolex think and want. Better to cash in on clear upside now than rue the missed opportunity down the line.

Krub kun Krub
Old 24 January 2021, 11:51 PM   #39
Bill11783
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, LV
If I ever get one... would definitely keep it and wear it. Looking for a submariner to add to my collection. AD said he can get the black bezel sooner... told him I will wait for the green. There are plenty of people wearing the stainless black face/bezel (date or no date) models out there. I want something different that you do not see often. I personally get much more enjoyment wearing it rather than leaving it in a box or safe. Was fortunate enough to acquire my first Rolex this past November....Gmt II Pepsi. Could have flipped it and doubled my money however enjoy wearing it every day. Everyone has their own decision to make if they acquire one of these hard to get sports watches. Mine would be to keep it and be thankful I was able to purchase one.
Old 24 January 2021, 11:51 PM   #40
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If you were buying unpopular model, you should be able to ask for discount too. If they didn't want to give any discount so it's fair to give you an opportunity to obtain a sought after piece. Now it is your watch, you can do whatever you wanted.

Sell now and invest your money somewhere else or sell later it won't make much different.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Old 24 January 2021, 11:52 PM   #41
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Bit of a radical suggestion for a watch but - why not wear it to tell the time with?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2021, 11:56 PM   #42
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I’m waiting for one and cannot get it. I realize it was offered and you grabbed it but from my perspective you must be living right and I would not take that for granted!
Old 24 January 2021, 11:58 PM   #43
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Wear it, you might actually like it more than any other watch!
This.
It's a killer reference.
Old 24 January 2021, 11:58 PM   #44
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Just jumped the waiting-list at our local AD, who can magically get the new "Kermit" for me in just 2 weeks. Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

Now considering if I should sell it now or just keep it unworn and sell later in a few years. Any suggestions?
you can flip it but dont ever complain about prices if you do.

personally if i bought a watch it would only be to wear it. however, if later i didnt like it i would have no qualms about selling it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:06 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am hoping to land one this year and for me it will be a keeper. Love the watch.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:27 AM   #46
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Congrats on getting a much in demand model. Smart buying and done right.

I too appreciate you sharing this experience here. Good to know what’s the market like in BKK first hand from those with recent experience, than to rely on hearsay.

I’d say flip immediately. Your AD clearly couldn’t care less what Rolex think and want. Better to cash in on clear upside now than rue the missed opportunity down the line.

Krub kun Krub
The ADs here could care less about Rolex or their customers. They actually have quite a good selection, when they start bringing the good stuff out from the back.

BUT it all comes at a cost... the mandatory "bundle" deal if you want the "hot" watch, which they are happy to let you try. To me it is a "sick" and short-minded way of doing business. Reminds me of extortion. But it is after all Thailand and cash is king here. So just played their game, when the opportunity came along.

Based on the feedback from you and others, I am starting to think that selling it ASAP would be the best option. Thanks for your advice and opinion :-)
Old 25 January 2021, 12:46 AM   #47
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would move the watch and either get something you would enjoy wearing or just cash out and move on. No judgements here as the watch is your property and you did nothing wrong in how the AD handled this transaction. Please let us know what you decide.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:54 AM   #48
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Well, I am not sure if I actually like the watch. It was just part of a "bundle" deal, which is the only way to get hands on a sports-watch at an AD here in Thailand. You have to buy 2 Rolex's to get any popular model here.

The AD first offered a Black Submariner (Date), but I could see that "Kermit" was higher priced second hand. So requested that instead.

Know it sounds "strange". But when bundle deals are the only way here, you have to take advantage when you get an "un-popular" model.
Usually the bundle is to get the SS you want. Typically you buy something you don’t.

This is like a weird reverse bundle.

Why not simply buy the more expensive watch you wanted?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 January 2021, 12:57 AM   #49
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
You are free to do as you wish with the 126610lv if you purchased the pearl master for a family member are you giving them the money you make on the LV ? , Or is that your commission from organising the purchase ?

Nothing wrong with reselling it in my opinion if you don’t like or want it
Old 25 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #50
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Regardless of what others here say, get the one you want and flip the other.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:13 AM   #51
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Watches are made to be worn, enjoyed, and show the time
Old 25 January 2021, 01:13 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you can flip it but dont ever complain about prices if you do.

personally if i bought a watch it would only be to wear it. however, if later i didnt like it i would have no qualms about selling it.
Exactly this.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:18 AM   #53
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
You are free to do as you wish with the 126610lv if you purchased the pearl master for a family member are you giving them the money you make on the LV ? , Or is that your commission from organising the purchase ?

Nothing wrong with reselling it in my opinion if you don’t like or want it
Giving the family member all the profit. I only organised the deal and will resell it for her to help save her some money. I could keep the "Kermit" if I want (at retail price), but don't really like it. Just my personal preference. Might change my mind, when I see it. But main idea was to save her some money.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:21 AM   #54
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Usually the bundle is to get the SS you want. Typically you buy something you don’t.

This is like a weird reverse bundle.

Why not simply buy the more expensive watch you wanted?
The bundle deal with the "Kermit" was to help a family member save some money on her purchase. From the choice of normal black sub and the "Kermit", the "Kermit" seemed the best option for resale.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #55
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

If you weren't interested in the watch in the first place then why did you buy two other watches to be offered a watch you're not even interested in?

Yes, this is capitalism, and buyers and sellers are free to do as they please. However, when you have multiple threads on this forum of other members complaining about their inability to buy the watch you are considering to flip, and they would love to be offered at retail because they genuinely appreciate it, I would reconsider.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:29 AM   #56
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
The bundle deal with the "Kermit" was to help a family member save some money on her purchase. From the choice of normal black sub and the "Kermit", the "Kermit" seemed the best option for resale.
Definitely the best option for resale.

Still trying to understand tho. Your family member wanted a more expensive watch, so you got this added to it? And that saved them money? They got a discount? Or will you be selling this, and giving the proceeds to help the family member save the money?

Not my business. But curious is all.

Def sell now and capitalize on the buzz. I personally don’t think it’s going up. As more come to market, and more are available, it will lower the secondary market price.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #57
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Definitely the best option for resale.

Still trying to understand tho. Your family member wanted a more expensive watch, so you got this added to it? And that saved them money? They got a discount? Or will you be selling this, and giving the proceeds to help the family member save the money?

Not my business. But curious is all.

Def sell now and capitalize on the buzz. I personally don’t think it’s going up. As more come to market, and more are available, it will lower the secondary market price.
My family member bought an expensive watch and I got the "Kermit" added to the deal. All Profit from "Kermit" sale goes to her, so she saves more on the expensive watch. (She also got 10% off from AD on her watch).

Thanks for the advice.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:36 AM   #58
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
If you don’t want it. Sell it. Easy lol.

Old 25 January 2021, 01:37 AM   #59
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I don’t have any problem at all with what the OP is proposing. At least it gets a piece out of the safe at the AD and into circulation for the market to decide how much it’s worth. I think most of us would be sick if we knew how many watches are stashed away in safes at AD’s.

I would sell it now, I don’t think that piece will go up in value.
Old 25 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #60
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I trade it for a Pepsi or keep it.
Closed Thread