The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 10:03 AM   #1
G.Montag
Banned

Something odd that I’ve noticed about my SubC

When my 116610 gets wet, the bezel and the clasp lock become quite stiff. Not completely inoperable but way stiffer than they normally are. As the watch dries out after a few hours, things get back to normal.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I’m having a hard time coming up with a logical explanation as to why this would happen.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:09 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Something odd that I’ve noticed about my SubC

Could be bezel gasket is misaligned or it’s got dry soap in there.

- Did the watch (particularly the bezel) hit something?
- Do you shower with the watch on?

In any case, you can diagnose and fix it yourself either way.

https://youtu.be/snSEaxqs5hE

The above video (by the Watch Collector) shows the steps very clearly to fix the gasket (white o ring). If the problem is soap scum, just clean it off with hot water and dish soap. Be careful when pressing the bezel back into the watch as the ceramic insert is fragile. Do not put pressure on the insert.

I also use grease on the o ring to lubricate it. I use Danco silicone grease.

If you think the task too daunting, you could just take it to a watchmaker.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:28 AM   #3
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Could be bezel gasket is misaligned or it’s got dry soap in there.

- Did the watch (particularly the bezel) hit something?
- Do you shower with the watch on?
The answer to both questions is no. I should also add that the watch is quite new - I bought it from an AD eight months ago.

If a misaligned gasket or dried soap were the chase, why would the issue manifest itself only when the watch is wet?
Old 25 January 2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
When my 116610 gets wet, the bezel and the clasp lock become quite stiff. Not completely inoperable but way stiffer than they normally are. As the watch dries out after a few hours, things get back to normal.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I’m having a hard time coming up with a logical explanation as to why this would happen.

Could it simply be that your fingers are a little wet and slightly compromising your ability to grip as well as you normally would?
Has the skin on your hands gone a little soft from extended immersion in water thus compounding the issue?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:34 AM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
The answer to both questions is no. I should also add that the watch is quite new - I bought it from an AD eight months ago.

If a misaligned gasket or dried soap were the chase, why would the issue manifest itself only when the watch is wet?

Seems counter intuitive doesn’t it? I would guess tight tolerances with misaligned wet gasket.

Since it’s brand new, just send it in for warranty work. No need to McGuyver it and end up paying a repair bill
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:41 AM   #6
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Could it simply be that your fingers are a little wet and slightly compromising your ability to grip as well as you normally would?
Has the skin on your hands gone a little soft from extended immersion in water thus compounding the issue?
No, definitely not a finger/grip problem. This happens after I wash the watch under a tap. You can feel the bezel and clasp action becoming more stiff. It’s almost as if the tolerances are so tight that having water in there interferes with the operation...except I don’t think that’s possible considering how tiny water molecules are.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:20 AM   #7
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

What temperature is the water you are using and could that be impacting tolerances? Might try an experiment with both cold and hot (not scalding) water to see if there's any difference between the two. I always try to use a temp of water that you basically cannot feel as hot or cold. There is a white o-ring/gasket/seal under your bezel, not sure what it's made of, but it's certainly possible it could swell with heat. Being a dive watch you'd hope it wouldn't react just to water itself. Then again, you could almost see some argument for a "feature" where the bezel tightens when underwater as that's the time you want to be extra sure it isn't moving around unintentionally.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 04:28 PM   #8
snyde
"TRF" Member

Happens with most divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:19 PM   #9
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yes my Rolex and Tudor bezels feel different when wet. Perhaps more resistance. Then I dried it. Or twisted and it's fine.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:11 PM   #10
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
I’m having a hard time coming up with a logical explanation as to why this would happen.
Temperature change?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:08 PM   #11
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Same with my GMT-Master II (ceramic). The AD-in house (Rolex-certified) watchmaker took off the bezel, super-duty cleaned the watch and even put a new gasket. No changes. Even with dry fingers, the bezel is stiffer when wet.